Tip for handling filled tires alone please

/ Tip for handling filled tires alone please #31  
I was wondering if a furniture dolly would work?

That's a great tip! Thanks.

You are correct! Problem is I'm not sure the boom for the engine hoist under the fender and still get the tire off.

Has anyone actually used an engine hoist to do this?

I am well aware that once it starts to tip I will not be stopping it and could easily be injured in the process. I don't take that lightly (pun intended!)

I may have to resort to that if I can't get them back on! Lol.
Lots of good tips and lots of problems can be reasonably extrapolated from most. -- The problem is that many will cause instability. Assuming the tire will fall over if you dont hold it, any instability will be your enemy. You cant have a wheel that heavy moving when you dont expect it. So tire dollys and grease can turn into a real problem if the tire leans and slides/moves -- youre suddenly chasing it. -- And "dont let it lean" is an absolute danger. The tire must lean toward you slightly. If it starts to lean away your chance to save it disappears almost immediately.

,,,Simply rolling the tire is the safest un mechanically supported method. - You can adjust the tires position in a fine manner when removing and installing by using a combination of swiveling and rolling back and forth. Dont forget you can turn the axle hub to help line up holes. - ... - Now, the engine hoist method is a piece of cake. You can chain or strap the rim such that as you lift you can tip the top of the tire out to a stable hoist supported position leaning away from the tractor with the tire tread resting on the floor. Lift a little more and take it where you want it. -- For reassembly the same lean aspect would be duplicated so you could rest the tread under the hub just right so as you push/lift the tire upright it mates perfectly.

/ Tip for handling filled tires alone please
Two things already mentioned, don't let the tire get overbalanced when moving it around. In my younger days, I used to remove the outside tires on our Ford 9000 tractor and roll them up against a tree after the disking was finished. These were 18.4x38 and filled with water. Taking them off wasn't a problem for one person, but you need two to get them back on. Rather than trying to fit the tire to the tractor, use a hydraulic jack under the tractor and adjust the tractor to the tire. Turn the tractor axle to match up the bolt holes rather than try to rotate the tire. That makes it much easier BUT this requires one person to watch/hold the tire and another to adjust the jack.

All good advice and well taken. Will be interesting to see how hard it is to spin the HST transaxle exen in neutral (especially without the wheel for mechanical advantage)

/ Tip for handling filled tires alone please #33  
Lots of good tips and lots of problems can be reasonably extrapolated from most. -- The problem is that many will cause instability. Assuming the tire will fall over if you dont hold it, any instability will be your enemy. You cant have a wheel that heavy moving when you dont expect it. So tire dollys and grease can turn into a real problem if the tire leans and slides/moves -- youre suddenly chasing it. -- And "dont let it lean" is an absolute danger. The tire must lean toward you slightly. If it starts to lean away your chance to save it disappears almost immediately.

,,,Simply rolling the tire is the safest un mechanically supported method. - You can adjust the tires position in a fine manner when removing and installing by using a combination of swiveling and rolling back and forth. Dont forget you can turn the hub to help line up holes. - ... - Now, the engine hoist method is a piece of cake. You can chain or strap the rim such that as you lift you can tip the top of the tire out to a stable hoist supported position leaning away from the tractor with the tire tread resting on the floor. Lift a little more and take it where you want it. -- For reassembly the same lean aspect would be duplicated so you could rest the tread under the hub just right so as you push/lift the tire upright it mates perfectly.

From what I've learned so far... Ill be getting my hoist back!

Still worried about interference with the fender though. And I don't think the fenders come off easy. :thumbdown:

/ Tip for handling filled tires alone please #36  
Yes that's how you get it off. The problem is getting it lined back up with enough precision to get it on the lug nuts.

I did mine on my Branson 4520r by myself. Branson was smart enough to make two opposing wheel bolts to be studs. A lot easier to put a wheel on studs than it is to put bolts through the wheel and into the hub.

/ Tip for handling filled tires alone please #37  
   / Tip for handling filled tires alone please #38  

Still worried about interference with the fender though. And I don't think the fenders come off easy. :thumbdown:

I've browsed through the tread but I didn't see removing the liquid ballast from the tire before proceeding. It would seem you wouldn't actually need liquid ballast after you've installed the backhoe. The hoe would be the ballast for your FEL.
If/when you remove the hoe later on, you could replace it with a 3PT ballast box or even wheel weights.

/ Tip for handling filled tires alone please #39  

I did my 16.9 x 30" 90% filled AGs on the 7520 using a gantry crane. It was no problem clearing the fender using lean. I didnt have the complication of hoist legs to interfere, but that seems solvable because the hoist assisted setup is inherently stable while youre figuring the next clever trick you need to do.

I've browsed through the tread but I didn't see removing the liquid ballast from the tire before proceeding. It would seem you wouldn't actually need liquid ballast after you've installed the backhoe. The hoe would be the ballast for your FEL.
If/when you remove the hoe later on, you could replace it with a 3PT ballast box or even wheel weights.

Kevin also made that reasonable point (see post #22) but I need leave them filled in the end. If I can't get them back on I can empty them as a last resort.