Gas & Diesel Titans go head to head on the Gauntlet

/ Gas & Diesel Titans go head to head on the Gauntlet #21  
They also did a video of a 2002 Duramax vs a current Duramax. The 2002 got BETTER mileage than the current one pulling the same weight and the time was very close.

/ Gas & Diesel Titans go head to head on the Gauntlet #22  
Rumors even out there that Ram may eventually replace the big Cummins in the 2500 and 3500 series with their own motors, but that is only rumor right now. Regardless enough rumors exist to make the diehard Cummins loyalists a little nervous.

That rumor has been out there a while, and is just that...a rumor. That would be suicide to the Ram brand. Do you realize how many trucks Ram sells just because it has a Cummins?

I think he was in auto the whole way just letting the tranny do what it wanted.. I too thought he would pull down a gear

Yes, he was in auto the whole way, but that's part of the test...letting the truck do it's thing. I would have thought the truck would have downshifted (and acted like MossRoad suggested). My guess is the spacing of the gears is not optimal, and it couldn't drop a gear without leaving the power band. An 8 speed tranny could have really changed things...

/ Gas & Diesel Titans go head to head on the Gauntlet #23  
Was not the diesel pulling a heavier load than the gas? They stated they loaded both to their max GCVW. The diesel has a 1,000 lb higher rating. Granted even with towing more weight the diesel should have won. Nissan needs to reprogram it to down shift to speed up.

/ Gas & Diesel Titans go head to head on the Gauntlet #24  
Was not the diesel pulling a heavier load than the gas? They stated they loaded both to their max GCVW. The diesel has a 1,000 lb higher rating. Granted even with towing more weight the diesel should have won. Nissan needs to reprogram it to down shift to speed up.

Yeah, they said something like that, but never said the specific weights for each, did they?

/ Gas & Diesel Titans go head to head on the Gauntlet
I believe the trailer was identical.

/ Gas & Diesel Titans go head to head on the Gauntlet #26  
@3:19 in the vid, they said they loaded both trailers to 10600lbs..

The Gas has 500lbs more payload capacity, but 1000lbs less towing capacity

/ Gas & Diesel Titans go head to head on the Gauntlet #27  
They also did a video of a 2002 Duramax vs a current Duramax. The 2002 got BETTER mileage than the current one pulling the same weight and the time was very close.

I can vouch for that. The best mpg I ever got with the 03 was 23 mpg roundtrip from Athens to Austin. My 03 gets on average 2 MPG better than my 08. The 08 gets better mileage than the friend's 2015. The 08 will outpull the 03 with the horse trailer loaded with 3 warmbloods.

/ Gas & Diesel Titans go head to head on the Gauntlet #28  
Okay, I will bite. Who owns VM Motari? (Italian supplier or not Chrysler owns them lock stock and barrel making that in house in my eyes.

VM is owned by FPT. Fiat owners FPT, CNH and Chrysler.

/ Gas & Diesel Titans go head to head on the Gauntlet #29  
@3:19 in the vid, they said they loaded both trailers to 10600lbs.. The Gas has 500lbs more payload capacity, but 1000lbs less towing capacity

They stated they loaded "This trailer with 10600 lbs". Not sure if they mean both. At 25 seconds they state both are loaded to max GVW and max GCVWR. I guess only they know. I never heard them state that the diesel was pulling more weight.

/ Gas & Diesel Titans go head to head on the Gauntlet #30  
They stated they loaded "This trailer with 10600 lbs". Not sure if they mean both. At 25 seconds they state both are loaded to max GVW and max GCVWR. I guess only they know. I never heard them state that the diesel was pulling more weight.

"For this Super Ike Gauntlet, we're towing 10,600 lbs..." Sounds like both trailers were loaded to that weight to me. But it is confusing since they dont give exact GVW and GCVWR numbers.