A warning for those considering a Gear Drive Kubota L2501

/ A warning for those considering a Gear Drive Kubota L2501 #11  
Sounds like a gear tractor. I brush hog a lot with old Massey gear tractors and they get the job done year after year. There is a place or gear tractors.

Master of the obvious statement here, but when you choose a tractor model to save money you don't get the features on the more expensive tractors.

Last edited:
   / A warning for those considering a Gear Drive Kubota L2501 #12  
At a fixed rpm ( 540 ) doesn't toque directly equal HP?

/ A warning for those considering a Gear Drive Kubota L2501 #13  
   / A warning for those considering a Gear Drive Kubota L2501 #14  
It sounds as if the L2501 works the same as my old B7500. The description of having to push the clutch in fully to change gears or directions is the same and of course the PTO stops. But I only had 6 forward speeds on the B7500 and it was worse trying to find the right mowing speed. Does it work? Sure. Is it the best or most convenient for mowing? No.

I would say your dealer was more than fair.:thumbsup:

/ A warning for those considering a Gear Drive Kubota L2501 #15  
How in the world would a Kubota dealer not know the differences in how the geared and HST PTO's operate?

/ A warning for those considering a Gear Drive Kubota L2501 #16  
You buy budget, you get budget. :confused3: Just like buying cars. I'm looking at the Ford Fusion. It will most likely be the last car I buy since I'm driving a 92 Taurus LX now with only 81k miles. The difference between the basic Fusion and the Titanium or Platinum is miles apart in amenities. They'll practically do your grocery shopping for you. But I'm dead set on Sync and Navigation. The other stuff is a bonus. :)

Not to change the subject. But the Sync in my 2015 F550 service truck is reeaallyy clunky when trying to place and recieve phone calls. Then trying to navigate through the menus is a chore as well. When pressing the button to answer a phone call, it will still ring several times before answering. Usually resulting in it dropping the call because your first instinct is to hit the button a second time to answer or hold the button longer.

Not sure about dodge. But the blue tooth capabilities are much more user friendly and more responsive in my GMC.

OK, back to the regularly scheduled programming :D

/ A warning for those considering a Gear Drive Kubota L2501 #17  
Not to change the subject. But the Sync in my 2015 F550 service truck is reeaallyy clunky when trying to place and recieve phone calls. Then trying to navigate through the menus is a chore as well. When pressing the button to answer a phone call, it will still ring several times before answering. Usually resulting in it dropping the call because your first instinct is to hit the button a second time to answer or hold the button longer.

Not sure about dodge. But the blue tooth capabilities are much more user friendly and more responsive in my GMC.

OK, back to the regularly scheduled programming :D

The Dodge/Chrysler interface is very intuitive and slick to use. As good or better than the GM. I have no experience with the Ford interface.

/ A warning for those considering a Gear Drive Kubota L2501 #18  
How in the world would a Kubota dealer not know the differences in how the geared and HST PTO's operate?

I'm sure they do. I think the dealer thought he was selling to an experienced tractor owner that just wanted a low end tractor for mowing. Many people like me use gear 2WD tractors for mowing, tedding, raking, etc. as an example. I don't like to use more expensive tractors when all I am doing is going in circles. The dealer was very fair in trading the gear tractor in.

/ A warning for those considering a Gear Drive Kubota L2501 #19  
I'm sure they do. I think the dealer thought he was selling to an experienced tractor owner that just wanted a low end tractor for mowing. Many people like me use gear 2WD tractors for mowing, tedding, raking, etc. as an example. I don't like to use more expensive tractors when all I am doing is going in circles. The dealer was very fair in trading the gear tractor in.

Same here, we have three transmission driven PTO tractors that get regular use. If you are familiar with them and use them regularly, it's not a really big deal, for the new and/or infrequent user though it can be a bear.

/ A warning for those considering a Gear Drive Kubota L2501 #20  
Still doesn't explain the dealers surprise concerning the sticker on the dash. I agree, one heck of a dealer just seems odd that he was surprised which begs the question, why was he surprised.