Everlast Welders - Welders and Plasma Cutters by Everlast

/ Everlast Welders - Welders and Plasma Cutters by Everlast
Mark,
Thank you, looks like I will save up for a couple weeks and look at that MTS 211Si

Main use will be Mig 90% Tig 10% for the little bit of Tig (now) this would work better than a dedicated machine (except for no AC Tig)

So many options and not enough cash :laughing:

Thank you again!

I'll send you a quote after lunch. Just trying to catch up. I got your pm and will answer it.

/ Everlast Welders - Welders and Plasma Cutters by Everlast
Remember now, you can Tig weld aluminum on DC. Just need a bottle of helium.
This weld was done on DC with 100% helium.

Yep. Absolutely. But you are a "hobby" master of TIG:thumbsup:. No way I am going to promote that to people though through official channels as an acceptable method of welding Aluminum. I've had enough people call trying to weld aluminum with DC and get sore for not being able to do the job. Mentioning that from an official point of view brings me all kinds of grief. Been there done that...We've had to take units back because people thought this was a "way" to escape buying a more expensive AC/DC unit and found out it was not fun or economical... but they heard someone say it could be done and expected it to just be easy as pie.

/ Everlast Welders - Welders and Plasma Cutters by Everlast #763  
Remember now, you can Tig weld aluminum on DC. Just need a bottle of helium.
This weld was done on DC with 100% helium.

Very Sexy. Was that DC+ or -? And did you have to do a bunch of cleanup? I have a cheap TIG that can only do DC and directions said "can't do aluminium" but I've read the very first TIG machines were DC and so it's possible.

/ Everlast Welders - Welders and Plasma Cutters by Everlast #764  
That was DC electrode negative -. On DC you don't get the same cleaning as on AC. So you need to run a stainless steel brush over the weld zone just before welding. See the little black spot above, and below the weld? That is a sure sign of DC welding on aluminum.
When using DC and helium, it takes about 1/2 the amount of amps, as welding on AC.

/ Everlast Welders - Welders and Plasma Cutters by Everlast #765  
That was DC electrode negative -. On DC you don't get the same cleaning as on AC. So you need to run a stainless steel brush over the weld zone just before welding. See the little black spot above, and below the weld? That is a sure sign of DC welding on aluminum.
When using DC and helium, it takes about 1/2 the amount of amps, as welding on AC.

I may play with it some time just for fun. I've seen youtube videos and they too have those tell tale spots.

Speaking of welding aluminium ... I'll tell a quick story on a friend (and fellow member here on TBN). He was MIG welding aluminium with a spool gun and cleaning with acetone. He wasn't careful and the acetone got sopped up by his welding gloves and his gloves caught on fire but he couldn't see this fact with his hood on ... so when he opens his hood he notices both his hands are on fire and looking surprised/shocked, he claps them together trying to beat the fire out. I wish I had a video of it! I guess you had to be there to see how funny it was!

/ Everlast Welders - Welders and Plasma Cutters by Everlast #766  
I have Tig welded aluminum with my Tig rig, and my Everlast SMAW welders. Problem when welding aluminum without a foot pedal, you can only make short welds. Once the base metal heats up, no way to back off the power.
Don't hold me to this, but I think I used 100% argon with this weld.

Attachments

• DCEN Helium.jpg
    DCEN Helium.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 109
  • Tig DCEN 1.JPG
    Tig DCEN 1.JPG
    227 KB · Views: 188
   / Everlast Welders - Welders and Plasma Cutters by Everlast #767  
I have Tig welded aluminum with my Tig rig, and my Everlast SMAW welders. Problem when welding aluminum without a foot pedal, you can only make short welds. Once the base metal heats up, no way to back off the power.
Don't hold me to this, but I think I used 100% argon with this weld.

Mark, I know this isn't a "TIG 101" class, but could you and SA explain the use of TIG for the Everlast PowerArc 300ST? The 300 can do TIG but has no foot pedal and is not compatible or retrofittable for a foot pedal. How is TIG used then in this machine? I looked at the owner's manual for the 300 with no joy. I've welded exactly one time with TIG and it was AL and that's about all I recall (it was over 20 years ago).

Not finding many welders locally, so the Everlast 300 is at the top of my current list.

Thanks,

/ Everlast Welders - Welders and Plasma Cutters by Everlast #768  
   / Everlast Welders - Welders and Plasma Cutters by Everlast #769  
So a Tig welding torch doesn't come with the 300? No biggie since I'm not planning to Tig, but you all know how plans change when you get a taste......

/ Everlast Welders - Welders and Plasma Cutters by Everlast #770  
No it doesn't. But a scratch start Tig rig is handy to have around for welding thin mild steel, and stainless steel. Or small objects.

Attachments

• Nut 1.JPG
    Nut 1.JPG
    398.1 KB · Views: 123
  • Nut 2.JPG
    Nut 2.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 128
  • Nut 3.JPG
    Nut 3.JPG
    138.2 KB · Views: 135