electric in my barn.....need help

/ electric in my barn.....need help #81  
I did not say it was a good thing. However it is not needed or required. I hired a licensed electrician to complete all my work.

If it's my home, or in the case of my in-construction garage/shop (which will require a permit due to a new service install), I have a licensed electrician do the work (I'll be working with him on the garage/shop, as I did with some rewiring in my house). My outbuildings I've wired myself: pump house (surface mount in sched 40 and GFCI), installed proper service conductors to one shed (idiots had 30 amp wire running off a 40 amp circuit!) and ran service and some outlets to my old pole shed. Once my garage/shop is done with initial wiring I'll do any additional work: as long as I'm 100% confident I can match code (as this building will be insured).

Regarding GFCIs, folks do know that you have to regularly test them, right? (I'm falling behind on testing mine!) I've only had one trip in about 3 1/2 years (in the pump house): no idea why.

I'm interested in figuring out a security light solution. I like the idea of the dual-brite setups, but it appears they only(?) use incandescent bulbs.

/ electric in my barn.....need help
I've seen those LED area lights around, but never one in operation. My wife wants me to light a 60' round pen. Think that one would be adequate about 20' up?

Super dark here, so a little light goes a long way.

They work great, I would definitely recommend. Mine is about 15 foot above and lights a good 50 yard circle area. I have the same problem, only light out here is the stars. Jut the way i like it..............

/ electric in my barn.....need help #83  
Some people prefer to not live in a "nanny state",,, :eek:

Each to their own,,, I guess,,, :thumbsup:

Problem there are too many who are not honourable enough to properly wire equipment . Don't even try to tell us that there are no dangerous short cuts taken in your jurisdiction that do not occur in inspected states . I suppose you don't see the need of a safety check on used vehicles to ensure the brakes work etc . No need for licensed gas fitters and installations either . No need for certified welders in the petrochemical , aviation or nuclear industries . Heck we should not even need drivers Or pilots licenses .

/ electric in my barn.....need help #84  
^^^ You make some good points and Driver's Licenses were not always required... my neighbor that passed at 104 sold the most newspaper subscriptions as a 12 year old child for the entire State of Nevada and won a new Model T Ford... they had to go by carriage to the rail line in Reno to pick it up... at 12 she was driving to School and had the first car in Genoa/Minden Nevada... at 16 she was made teacher at the one room school house and taught for 50 years in Nevada.

I attended her 100th birthday and met a lot of her former students... some with walkers and others had several generations that she taught.

Coming home her father kept yelling Wo as he crashed into the barn... that was the first and last time he ever drove an automobile.

License or Permits does not insure a good job... run into signed off jobs with problems all the time.

Think about electrical that has been around about 100 years now... if the old systems were that dangerous why are they still allowed under code?

License or Permits does not insure a good job...

Think about electrical that has been around about 100 years now... if the old systems were that dangerous why are they still allowed under code?

Exactly!

/ electric in my barn.....need help #86  
...only light out here is the stars. Just the way i like it..............

Yea man, milky way painted across the sky with a big brush!

Doesn't make it right .

Doesn't make what right? As I stated, I hired a licensed electrician who has been licensed for over 40 years. I am happy with the work done and my area does not require me to pay more money for someone to tell me it is ok to do something on my property............

/ electric in my barn.....need help #90  
I have a love/hate relationship with GFCIs. I have a lot of them in my pole barn because I didn't want to daisy chain them, knowing from experience that they will inadvertently trip sometimes. However, shops have a lot of oddball things happen and I've got a lot of old equipment and tools. The one time I need it will probably make up for all the nuisances.