Ballast box vs Grandpa's implement for added weight

/ Ballast box vs Grandpa's implement for added weight #11  
You'll probably think its cumbersome but my best counterweight is my 3 point bale spear and a bale. For snow, I have a bale outside, L6060 in heated garage. Drive out, spear the bale, and I'm in business. Spear doesn't take up much room in garage. Lots of weight well back of tires, excellent traction.

Ditto.

/ Ballast box vs Grandpa's implement for added weight #12  
Is a ballast box the best solution for weight due to compact size compared to using an implement?

From my end. It all depends on how much ROOM you have to do the things you want to do with your tractor.

I have a rather "compact" property that amounts to a series of three "push ups" of ledge running the length of the yard.
I've less than 80 feet before a "vertical" transition. A compact concrete ballast gives a useful increase in maneuverings.

In winter, when most work goes "with the lay of the land". the back blade stays on and is all that is required to facilitate bucket work.
If only I could keep from hanging up on any of these dang maple trees! ;-)

/ Ballast box vs Grandpa's implement for added weight #13  
I want to get some weight on the back of a Kubota L6060 to get full use out of the grapple and loader bucket. I was advised to get 1,200 lbs on the rear of the tractor for counterbalance, and to help keep too much weight off the front axle.

Loading the rear tires increases weight, but not weight behind the rear axle. So loaded tires won't help take weight off the front. So I need something on the 3pt hitch. There are some ancient "grandpa implements" scattered around the property, such as old rusting tillers or harrow. I could use these for ballast, but they are *large* and might snag up on things like stumps and other obstacles.

Is a ballast box the best solution for weight due to compact size compared to using an implement? And is there a source for a good ballast box that would mate up behind the L6060 cab model?

Lead wheel weights from tire shops etc. work well in a ballast box. I use a small Kubota ballast box full of lead weights on my L3540. Box is 3 pt. hitch ready. Total cost was $200 for the box. weighs at least 2000 lbs. and very compact. I work mostly in the trees and around buildings so the shorter the rig the better.

/ Ballast box vs Grandpa's implement for added weight #14  
I really liked the idea of a dedicated ballast box for my B2650. I wanted to fab one up that was compact and one that was adjustable for doing tasks like plowing snow with my loader or bucketing material. I welded up a frame and welded on a drawbar. Then I fabbed up the mount for the top link and welded it on. I bought 10 peices of rr track that weigh 100 lbs apeice. With the frame weighing 150 lbs I added 5 rr tracks for a total of 650 lbs. That has been the perfect amount of weight. I can get a full bucket of dirt with my 60 "bucket and the machine stays planted even driving on uneven ground. I have left it at that weight for everything I do. Of course then I had to paint it Kubota orange to match the tractor!

20151130_101654 (450x800).jpg20151129_164129 (450x800).jpg20160112_121243 (450x800).jpg

/ Ballast box vs Grandpa's implement for added weight #15  
A cheap option that has other uses is a pair of 3pt forks. Construct some plywood sides and floor on a pallet and load it with rock, gravel, steel scrap, old batteries, DU, what ever you have laying around that's dense and that you have lots of. You can even make 2 or 3 of these pallet weights, if your need to change you ballast load for different tasks.

3pt forks get a lot of use around our place - moving firewood loaded on pallets makes keeping the woodstove stoked a lot easier. Putting implements on pallets makes stuffing them in the shed and pulling them out to get at the one that you need (the one way in the back, it always seems) a quick shuffle.
-Jim

Last edited:
   / Ballast box vs Grandpa's implement for added weight #16  
R Kidd, that's a really nice job you did on your weight box! Mine is somewhat similar, in that the ballast is removable/adjustable... in my case, heavy stones. The trailer hitch comes in handy when I have a firewood trailer to move, and still want the rear weight. The chain rails also are very handy, and add a bit of weight, obviously.

P1010909.jpg

/ Ballast box vs Grandpa's implement for added weight #17  
R Kidd, that's a really nice job you did on your weight box! Mine is somewhat similar, in that the ballast is removable/adjustable... in my case, heavy stones. The trailer hitch comes in handy when I have a firewood trailer to move, and still want the rear weight. The chain rails also are very handy, and add a bit of weight, obviously.

View attachment 492106

My Ballast is pinned to my customized HF 3Pt Quick Hitch, Filled with steel bars and weights over #650 Lbs.
It stays on the back of the tractor most of the time except when I need the PTO.
Comes off easy as long as I do the process slow, careful, and deliberate.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/327912-custom-3-point-attachment-2-a.html?highlight=

Attachments

• 20161230_090028.jpg
    20161230_090028.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 312
   / Ballast box vs Grandpa's implement for added weight #18  

View attachment 492106

Great job on your ballast box! Nice and compact to get around. Alot of nice features. Looks awesome!!

/ Ballast box vs Grandpa's implement for added weight #19  
I want to get some weight on the back of a Kubota L6060 to get full use out of the grapple and loader bucket. I was advised to get 1,200 lbs on the rear of the tractor for counterbalance, and to help keep too much weight off the front axle.

Loading the rear tires increases weight, but not weight behind the rear axle. So loaded tires won't help take weight off the front. So I need something on the 3pt hitch. There are some ancient "grandpa implements" scattered around the property, such as old rusting tillers or harrow. I could use these for ballast, but they are *large* and might snag up on things like stumps and other obstacles.

Is a ballast box the best solution for weight due to compact size compared to using an implement? And is there a source for a good ballast box that would mate up behind the L6060 cab model?

I have both L6060 and M9960 tractors with FELS.

I change all of my own tires so never use liquid ballast of any kind (probably would not use it even if I did not change my own tires).

I bought a Kubota ballast box sized for the M9960 for use with either tractor. The larger ballast box is suitable for use on either tractor and can be loaded heavier than can the smaller box that Kubota recommends for the L6060. Of course one need not fully load it. I loaded mine with unopened bags of "playground" sand bought from Lowes while on sale.

Any counterweight behind the rear axle is far more effective than loaded tires, and the further behind the axle the more effective. Correspondingly, a long implement, such as a rotary cutter is more effective than a shorter implement of the same weight. The problem is maneuverability. A long implement on the three point limits maneuverability considerably and requires a larger storage space.

Axle bearing load is a specious argument.

Regarding source: Kubota sells ballast boxes of several sizes.

SDT