Car lifts

/ Car lifts
I thought the same thing about my 3/4 ton but then I figure i change the oil a little over once a year (2012 with 22k on it) and when I get it inspected I get the tires rotated so I really don't need to lift it much. The other thing is I need a much larger and permanent lift if I use it for the truck and I really want to avoid having it mounted in a bay. I also have a rolling gantry crane in there so that takes up a bunch of room.
it does seem a 9K china lift is even cheaper but I just can't trust them for some reason. Read a lot of horror stories with them bending and having "issues" which would not be fun with my diesel truck on it!
I won't use it a lot for cars maybe monthly, will use it more for the bike and as a adjustable height work platform for mowers and such. Even think it would be handy for working on different implements instead of being on the floor all the time.

/ Car lifts #12  
I thought the same thing about my 3/4 ton but then I figure i change the oil a little over once a year (2012 with 22k on it) and when I get it inspected I get the tires rotated so I really don't need to lift it much. The other thing is I need a much larger and permanent lift if I use it for the truck and I really want to avoid having it mounted in a bay. I also have a rolling gantry crane in there so that takes up a bunch of room.
it does seem a 9K china lift is even cheaper but I just can't trust them for some reason. Read a lot of horror stories with them bending and having "issues" which would not be fun with my diesel truck on it!
I won't use it a lot for cars maybe monthly, will use it more for the bike and as a adjustable height work platform for mowers and such. Even think it would be handy for working on different implements instead of being on the floor all the time.

Unfortunately most of the lifts are made in China, My Bendpak was 1 of the 1st ones out of China ( didn't) know it till I got the lift -thinking it was still USA built.
Called and the rep told me they had US inspectors for the 1st run to document everything from the A-36 steel to final assembly.
It has been trouble free and has all of the certification stickers on it.
I will say that when lifting my or friends loaded diesel powered 1 tons.
You can hear the difference in the hydraulic pump while lifting. If wanting to lift 1 ton trucks would want a 10k or above rated lift.

/ Car lifts #13  
Thanks for the thoughts - I have looked at them but they really take up too much space (plus I have a low ceiling - 10'). I use that bay to work on my tractors and want to be able to get the Mini excavator in there this winter so that really needs some room. I also would like to do the whole deal for around 2k (should have said that).

Wishful thinking.

/ Car lifts
Wishful thinking.

Really it is not too far off - the Max Jax (the better safety cert'ed one) is $2200 to the house (as in delivered) so not too bad. I really like the idea of being able to move it out of the way when not needed. Thinking I could fab a nice work table for the lawn mowers and such. They also say you can only use one side if you want for up to 1500lbs for motorcycles/atvs so that makes it easier to work around. I am looking at making multiple mounting points so I can have one just mounted at the rear of the shop for the motorcycle. Figure I can leave it there most of the time in the summer and just set it up for cars and leave it that way all fall and winter when I do most of my car stuff.
Did some checking in the shop today and it would easily fit without moving anything around.

/ Car lifts
Thanks - I had not seen them yet. I will check it out

/ Car lifts
Understand that - If nothing else I want to make sure it is a certified lift - never know how well the others are engineered or put together.

/ Car lifts #19  
Understand that - If nothing else I want to make sure it is a certified lift - never know how well the others are engineered or put together.

What ceiling height do you have? I have a bendpak 10k pound 2 post assymetric. I lift my duramax all the time with it. I think you might be missing out by going smaller if you can fit the full size lift in there. Mine is 12' high.

If you really don't care about lifting the truck and are just looking for portability you can get a portable scissor jack from bendpak. I really think you might be limiting yourself though....you may think that clutches/transmission/exhaust, whatever else might not be in your future, but the ability to inspect and repair, and even just get access to grease parts can be extremely valuable. Don't short sell yourself by limiting access to the underbody.

I have mine in 6" of 4500 PSI - I believe the lift states you only need 4" of 3500 or something along those lines.

/ Car lifts #20  
What ceiling height do you have? I have a bendpak 10k pound 2 post assymetric. I lift my duramax all the time with it. I think you might be missing out by going smaller if you can fit the full size lift in there. Mine is 12' high.

If you really don't care about lifting the truck and are just looking for portability you can get a portable scissor jack from bendpak. I really think you might be limiting yourself though....you may think that clutches/transmission/exhaust, whatever else might not be in your future, but the ability to inspect and repair, and even just get access to grease parts can be extremely valuable. Don't short sell yourself by limiting access to the underbody.

I have mine in 6" of 4500 PSI - I believe the lift states you only need 4" of 3500 or something along those lines.

If one were limited to an outdoor installation of a two post lift, what "weatherization" measures would you take. This Vermont, with cold snowy winters, pouring rains and hot and humid summer weeks on end.

Just that I've been thinking of a lift, but the present shop is low ceiling, and there really is no land for "another building".