What did you do on the first day of retirement?

/ What did you do on the first day of retirement? #1  

Cat_Driver

Elite Member
Tractor
2016 Kubota 4060, 2017 Tackeuchi excavator TB260
What did you do on the first day of retirement?

I'm fast approaching my first day of retirement after 50 years of working. I've worked since I was 16 years old after school evey day as a short order cook at a university from 3pm - 11pm every day.

I've been imagining my first day, waking up to the fact that this totally ends life as I've come to know it and arrival at an important crossroads in my life. The first day of the rest of my life. I'm wondering what I'll do and how it will feel on that first day. What did you feel and do on that first day?

Yes I was a workaholic, I usually worked when I was an employee after my high school job from 7am to 11pm in the hospitality industry at a hotel. One year I went from Sept to May without a day off as a Manager, they didn't pay managers overtime, so I was working for a few bucks an hour if I was getting overtime when it was all said and done. I made $500.00 a week and brought home around $300 something as I can remember.

Then my own business and we all know what that's like.

I'll be leaving the stress of my workers who drive my trucks possibly killing someone on the road and being sued for everything I own. ( I never slept worrying about that every day for 3r years.) That stress will be gone, I wonder if I'll ever unwind from that.

Any way, those that retired what did you do on your first day, and what are you doing now away from your job or career.

/ What did you do on the first day of retirement? #2  
Short answer, enjoy life but at the same time do something EVERY DAY that mentally and physically challenges you

/ What did you do on the first day of retirement? #3  
Checked the newspaper first thing in the morning to make sure my name wasn't in the obituaries. :)

/ What did you do on the first day of retirement? #4  
First day, took the whole pot of coffee with me out on the back deck. I sat and watched the sunrise out across my property, and just enjoyed the beautiful day. ( it was in June) The next day I got the tractor out of the barn,and started doing the list of things that needed my attention (lots of things were put on the back burner because I was busy at work). That was 3 years ago. I am still trying to finish the "honey-do" list.
I still miss the people I worked with, but I have never missed the stress that I left behind.

/ What did you do on the first day of retirement? #5  
On my last day of work my bags were packed and in my truck. When I was done I drove to our land up north and have remained there for just short of 2 years. Very enjoyable.

/ What did you do on the first day of retirement? #6  
Thought I would subscribe to this thread if for nothing more than to be envious and dream a little....:cool:

/ What did you do on the first day of retirement? #7  
First day after retirement I woke up at the usual time of 5:30. Been on that schedule for so many years, its a habit that was hard to break. In fact, it was probably 3 years or more before I could stay in bed past 6:00.

Even now, about being retired for 12 years, 6:30 is as long as I can stay in bed. But on the upside, all projects are still on "schedule". It's only my schedule that keeps changing :)

I think it's important that you NOT just retire for no reason. You need projects, hobbies, and vacation plans. Don't allow yourself to become a hermit, recluse, or just one that sits and watches TV all day long. For most of us, retirement resulted in working more and harder than ever before.

/ What did you do on the first day of retirement? #8  
First day after retirement I woke up at the usual time of 5:30. Been on that schedule for so many years, its a habit that was hard to break. In fact, it was probably 3 years or more before I could stay in bed past 6:00.

Even now, about being retired for 12 years, 6:30 is as long as I can stay in bed. But on the upside, all projects are still on "schedule". It's only my schedule that keeps changing :)

I think it's important that you NOT just retire for no reason. You need projects, hobbies, and vacation plans. Don't allow yourself to become a hermit, recluse, or just one that sits and watches TV all day long. For most of us, retirement resulted in working more and harder than ever before.

Ain't that the truth!! I don't know how I ever got anything done when I worked full time. Of course, projects can be done on my schedule and not crammed into nights/weekends/vacations.
I do still work some part-time for my old employers as needed. Gets me out of the house and brings in enough income so I don't need to tap my IRA.

I have an old friend who retired early...I don't know what he does all day...he doesn't really have any hobbies, projects or much of anything going. I'd be bored to death if I was him.

/ What did you do on the first day of retirement? #9  

I second that motion. I don't recall what I did, but I had plenty to do. Living on an acreage, there is always something to do; besides I did a lot of woodworking in those days, plus my classic Chevys and the car club kept me busy. We later joined the Elks Lodge, and between the Lodge and the car club, you can be as busy as you want...volunteers are always welcome it seems.

But...as the man said, you will need something to keep you busy. I didn't want anything to do that required much thinking, though, I was ready for some mental relaxation. Nothing like a day on the JD to smooth you out.

/ What did you do on the first day of retirement? #10  
Yeah, I'm not officially retired yet, but I can tell this retirement thing is not all we think it might be. Unless we have hobbies, other things to do! My official retirement date will be ----- April 1, 2018! March 31st will be my last day. I have so many hobbies and liking to hunt, fish, all things outdoors, no way will I be unemployed. Problem is health. Had pacemaker and stent installed in October after about kicking bucket, so that will slow me down a lot. Anyway, I'm still looking forward to no more reports and other mess I have to deal with as a self-employed contractor to a big NGO non profit. Sayonara boys, come April 1.