Cutting down Juniper, Cedar, brush along fence lines

/ Cutting down Juniper, Cedar, brush along fence lines #11  
Here a lot of farmers use boom mowers on tractor to keep the hedge rows clean. Those boom mowers could do this easy. I have one myself that could do this and it is not near as heavy as some made today. Now to find a farmer who is willing to do this for hire may be a different issue for the liability issue if near a road. Flail cutter would be probably be safer. Try craiglist or such services to find. There are companies who do such for power company right of ways and on the highways.

/ Cutting down Juniper, Cedar, brush along fence lines #12  
Does it matter how the fence line "looks"? Can you just treat the trees with Garlon 4 to kill them and let them break down slowly?

/ Cutting down Juniper, Cedar, brush along fence lines #13  
Thanks for all the replies-looks like there is no "easy" way to do on my own. I will talk with my neighbor and see if we can locate a professional to come in and do it.

Keep the options coming in the meantime.
This is an option: HyReach Tree Shear - Precision Manufacturing

product-3.jpg

product-4.jpg

And: Tree Shears - Long Reach Tree Shear - XLR12UN | Sidney Attachments

xlr_tree_shear-3_qrtr_view.jpg

xlr_tree_shear-frt_view.jpg

/ Cutting down Juniper, Cedar, brush along fence lines
Does it matter how the fence line "looks"? Can you just treat the trees with Garlon 4 to kill them and let them break down slowly?

It does matter - We will kill off some sections of just grass and vines but for the taller brush etc. we will want removed or alive but just shorter.

This is an option:

This looks like an option we could use and looks to be a little safer than flying wood chips from a mower type cutting action. Will touch base with these folks...

/ Cutting down Juniper, Cedar, brush along fence lines #16  
How about a pole saw? $500 for a good one and you can do it from the ground. Lots of work, but again, a cheap option. But that just gets them to the height you want and doesn't maintain them at that height.

/ Cutting down Juniper, Cedar, brush along fence lines #17  
You dont need a bunch of high dollar equipment to clear a fenceling. Unless you are physically disabled, a lightweight chainsaw will do the trick. I am 68 years old and have no problem using my Stihl chainsaw along with a Poulan Pro polesaw to clear my fence lines. The work goes much faster than you think with cutting. THE PROBLEM is cleaning up the limbs when finished.

2 miles of fence line doesn't sound like an impossible job if you are just topping off the trees at fence height. Hire a couple of young boys to pull out the limbs from the fence line. Then they can be piled with your tractor's FEL easily. You should be able to clear 1/4 mile per day of heavily timbered fence doing the cutting only. My brother in law and I cleared 1/4 mile of trees in a fence line in about 3 hours using a chainsaw and pole saw. It took the rest of the day to trim the limbs/ trunks small enough to load on my RTV 900 and haul to a burn site. As I said, cutting is the easy part, clearing the rubbish takes a lot longer.

P.S. I find that the polesaw works great for cutting small trees and limbs when they are overgrown with saw briars and such. Rather than fighting the briars to get to the tree with the large chainsaw, just slip the polesaw up thru the vines and cut away. No bloodletting needed that way.

/ Cutting down Juniper, Cedar, brush along fence lines #18  
I’m with Gary, get a few people together, some chain saws, pole saw and loppers and start cutting. Just throw all the brush or tops a few feet away from the fence and either rent or hire a skid steer with grapple to gather and pile the brush after your finished.

/ Cutting down Juniper, Cedar, brush along fence lines #19  
I'm having a hard time grasping this. Maybe some pics before/after would help. Yeah,,,,, I'm slow.....

I知 with Gary, get a few people together, some chain saws, pole saw and loppers and start cutting. Just throw all the brush or tops a few feet away from the fence and either rent or hire a skid steer with grapple to gather and pile the brush after your finished.

This may be the solution - in addition to renting a cutter/mower of some type and not purchasing. I do have a grapple which is a god send...