Wrong tool for the job

/ Wrong tool for the job #1  

Phillip w

Platinum Member
Tractor
allis Chalmers 185 and massey ferguson 1531
Had a tree i was tired of and decided to push it with the tractor thinking it would up root and i would not have a stump to mow around. Well, as you can see in the photo IMG_20180405_183444.jpgIMG_20180405_183622.jpgIMG_20180405_183709.jpg it broke about even with the ground. I just told a guy on here that one of these little tractors would dig out a stump. I was totally off base with that idea. I jumped on mf because of ease and operational convenience. The little massey didn't do to good. Not enough hp, push power, hydraulics, and weight. It is not just my little massey, i think any of these little tractors would have trouble. Little tractors are not the right tool for stump removal.

/ Wrong tool for the job #2  
Tractor FELs against 14" stumps are a joke. Tractor backhoes aren't much better. A real backhoe and preferably an excavator is leaps and bounds better.

/ Wrong tool for the job #3  
Using pretty much ANY SIZE FEL for such a task is the wrong tool.

Maybe a little clue in the "loader" part of the description.

/ Wrong tool for the job #4  
Using pretty much ANY SIZE FEL for such a task is the wrong tool.

Maybe a little clue in the "loader" part of the description.

They’re made for LOADING not digging stumps. But if I had to push stumps out I think a 988 cat would be better than a compact tractor.

/ Wrong tool for the job
Fuel man supposed to bring me fuel tomorrow, im just about out. I got faith in the allis. If im pushing and lifting at the same time i think i can get it. I've only had the back end of the allis off the ground once and that is an erie feeling. The little massey is alway trying to come off the ground. However, i did think the massey should have done a better job digging around the stump that it did. Usually something like a stump or big rock you have to dig out. Other than size and weight, you also dont have to have the engine screaming to get any hp out of it. Just 2nd gear, barely crack the throttle a little and let it push. To much throttle and you loosing traction and spinning wheels. That old allis and i have pushed alot of stuff, old barns, trees and all kinds of stuff. I just can't understand why the little mf did such a poor job digging. I figured dig around with the little one and knock it out with the big one.

/ Wrong tool for the job #6  
That's a LOT of work for most tractors....better than hand shovel. ;)

/ Wrong tool for the job #7  
Fuel man supposed to bring me fuel tomorrow, im just about out. I got faith in the allis. If im pushing and lifting at the same time i think i can get it. I've only had the back end of the allis off the ground once and that is an erie feeling. The little massey is alway trying to come off the ground. However, i did think the massey should have done a better job digging around the stump that it did. Usually something like a stump or big rock you have to dig out. Other than size and weight, you also dont have to have the engine screaming to get any hp out of it. Just 2nd gear, barely crack the throttle a little and let it push. To much throttle and you loosing traction and spinning wheels. That old allis and i have pushed alot of stuff, old barns, trees and all kinds of stuff. I just can't understand why the little mf did such a poor job digging. I figured dig around with the little one and knock it out with the big one.

Pulling stumps is not what a lot of people think. They think that it is like a tooth where the tap root goes deep. On some types of trees that is true; Ash and White Pine being some of the toughest stumps to pull, but mostly it is like glass over a puddle of water on a hard surface. It is not the tap root holding it to the soil, but rather the "suction". You got to break that suction, and that means getting under the stump. A bulldozer works well, an excavator better, but both take a lot of weight to hold the machine to the earth while it does it.

Even with the Allis you are going to struggle. Wrong geometry with no where near the breakout forces needed.

I had a stump many years ago; small and rotted for a few years. I dug at it for quite awhile with my front end loader and was not making much headway. Finally I turned around, put a chain around it, and hooked it to my drawbar. Pulling it, it drug it right out of the ground without even spinning a tire.

/ Wrong tool for the job #8  
I've had better results pulling with the drawbar than pushing with anything except a dozer.

/ Wrong tool for the job #9  
chain saw , and a burn barrel will have the stump burnt down below ground level in fairly quick

/ Wrong tool for the job #10  
The pictures make it look like that tree had a lot of dead wood in the center. If that's correct, it was likely to break like that no matter what you were pushing with. Also pretty dangerous because a weakened tree will be unpredictable in which way it will fall. If it had been a solid, healthy tree, your tractor probably would not have been big enough to pop the roots out so the tree could fall. You need big iron to shove over anything larger than maybe an 8" or 10" tree. But I got rid of many,many trees by dropping them with the chainsaw and digging out the stump with the backhoe. As a senior citizen, I can say from experience that this is young man's work!