Wrong tool for the job

/ Wrong tool for the job #31  
What model is your Allis? Use to have a 180 and a 200 w/ fel. I learned how to operate and grew up on those tractors. Tractors today are a breeze after operating those titans.

/ Wrong tool for the job #32  
Two of the guys that assisted me on our explosive weekend, were graduates from a community college blasting course. But there was a joke that at that time (80s) anyone could buy explosives if they seemed legit to the vendor, but you needed a license for fireworks.

And back then, rural farm houses had mostly (cheap to replace) single pane windows and tin roofs. What's a little fly rock here and there?

Learned a lot that weekend. Have 8mm footage. The best was the large wooden console TV which all but disappeared from the earth,

/ Wrong tool for the job
What model is your Allis? Use to have a 180 and a 200 w/ fel. I learned how to operate and grew up on those tractors. Tractors today are a breeze after operating those titans.
My allis is a mid 1970's 185 with a koyker #5 loader. I agree with easy of operation on the new stuff. I also agree with a gear transmission and the way thing are set up and designed, the allis is an odd ball. However, that old allis is beefy, rugged and and pretty tough when you got get down and dirty. I can push a tree with it faster than a guy can start a chain saw. Ive up rooted alot of trees. That particular tree broke and i didn't want a stump. The stump was a lot more trouble than i figured. I probably won't try any more stumps. Pushing trees Doesn't require alot if hp, just alot of weght and traction. This new stuff to me seems like you got to have the engine screaming to get anything out of them and then they are to light and spin. Alot of traction issues. Not only will that old allis push, she will pull like a freight train. That is the first pin I've ever busted pulling or pushing.

/ Wrong tool for the job #34  
Two of the guys that assisted me on our explosive weekend, were graduates from a community college blasting course. But there was a joke that at that time (80s) anyone could buy explosives if they seemed legit to the vendor, but you needed a license for fireworks.

And back then, rural farm houses had mostly (cheap to replace) single pane windows and tin roofs. What's a little fly rock here and there?

Learned a lot that weekend. Have 8mm footage. The best was the large wooden console TV which all but disappeared from the earth,

Back in the late 60s, the neighbor up the road used dynamite to purge his septic crib. Had a little to much vodka and used a little to much dynamite and blew that Sh*t to smithereens and beyond. His three red headed daughters spent several days cleaning the poop off the house. They took his dynamite away.

/ Wrong tool for the job #35  
You could use your chain saw and cut it as close to the ground as is practical and then get a DR brand, stump grinder. They are pestering me with fliers for stuff they have on sale. All good products. I have a half a dozen DR products.

Then you would have it when needed, you could use your MF for the purpose designed, and save a ton on money on not buying a larger tractor just because you want to remove some stumps.

/ Wrong tool for the job #36  
Fooling around with explosives is no more dangerous today than it was years ago when a lot of us grew up watching our fathers blow stumps and even did a few things we shouldn't have done with dynamite. Could be purchased it at the local hardware store back then. What makes it more dangerous today is all the crazies today that so called "modern society" has produced. And of course, all the lawyers looking to make an extravagant living at someone else's expense.

There is no need to tell me about the history of explosives, I lived it and is the reason I know how to mix it. We are not talking about relatively benign dynamite here after all, but something that makes a lot bigger bang. But I stand by what I said; to ask for the recipe in this day and age on the open internet is just plain stupid.

This forum is filled with incredible talent and skill, but this is NOT something people should be concocting in their backyards that is for sure. Equally this is not something lurkers or kids under age should be reading either. I cannot speak for Mohammad, but I am pretty sure he would not want to hear that someone on this forum was killed after messing with an explosive recipe listed on this site.

It may be 2018, but everyone doesn't have the availability of rental machines or the means and skills to operate the proper equipment that you apparently have.

This is another silly statement; if a person lacks the equipment or means to rent the equipment needed, then cut the tree from the stump, clean up the tree and let the stump rot. Or if aesthetics of a lawn is important to a person, encircle the area with a retaining system, fill with dirt and make the area teem with landscape plantings. Those are just two methods that are low cost, but I can think of a few more. The point is, launching a stump into outer space by explosives, or informing an open internet on how to concoct them, is NOT a better low cost plan!

/ Wrong tool for the job #37  
Simple. Give out the recipe and end up on the "no fly" list.

/ Wrong tool for the job #38  
Simple. Give out the recipe and end up on the "no fly" list.

Hahahaha! That sounds about right. If you are lonesome that would be a good way to get some company.

/ Wrong tool for the job #39  
I removed a couple smaller (10"?) dead trees like that with my BX2370.

I was really surprised.

I had been talking to a rental place to line up a mini excavator. They asked if I had even TRIED pushing on them, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

Turned out I didn't need to rent the mini-excavator.

In retrospect, I probably should have just pulled them down with my pickup truck -- it's easily twice the weight of the BX.

/ Wrong tool for the job
Heres the cleanup and finished product. I think I'm going to get out of the stump removal business for a while.
IMG_20180407_171546.jpgIMG_20180407_153732.jpgIMG_20180407_180253.jpgIMG_20180407_181151.jpgIMG_20180407_181136.jpgIMG_20180407_181140.jpgIMG_20180407_193651.jpgIMG_20180407_193659.jpg