Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #8,941  
High Lift Jack

Anyone have this? Mixed reviews on HF site as usual. It's either this or Northern Tools.

I need to lift a large barn door up about three feet and reattach hinges.
Have one. For a lifting a barn door 3 feet I'd rig up something so the door CAN'T tip. And have stands to rest the door on at 2' 8".

Have to agree with all the guys above - they work but they are like giving a monkey a handgun - eventually something bad is going to happen!
Yup, danger. But just be extremely careful of the handle and the mechanism. I use one occasionally and ALWAYS rest whatever I'm jacking on somethin like jack stands as soon as possible.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #8,942  
Bought one of these with a $99 coupon for work a few years ago. The wheels would get squeaky and hard to push but we put a lot of miles on it. Great tool cart for the money.

Was looking for the 20% coupon. Had to click on the black April 20-22 tab.

On the wheels thing, I have posted several times in this thread that there seems to be almost no grease on the wheels from HF that I have come into contact with. There's just a light film of something white and does not seem to do the job. So, any wheels I get from HF get taken apart and greased before I put them to use. Greased up, HF makes some pretty good wheels.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #8,943  
I'm a Jeeper, a rock crawler. I carry a high end "Hi Lift" brand jack on my roll cage... I've used it, and I don't like it.... But I carry it because there are times when it's flat out the only tool for the job.

Any day that your pulling out a Hi Lift is a really bad day. Off-road folks use it as a last resort tool only. They kill people, they hurt people, they damage vehicles and equipment. But, I would not go into the rocks without it, because when things go totally sideways on you.... You may need it. Bad.

Always fear the thing.
... When lowering, be prepared for an out of control ratcheting descent and flailing handle. ... My neighbor's father had his jaw broken in multiple places with one.

One thing I have learned is to lube as the instructions state. A lubed jack done as they suggest works a whole lot better and I think safer than a dry one.

... they work but they are like giving a monkey a handgun
Lube vs no: Yes clean and lube if you are getting it out for a specific project. My experience with storing it lubed was dirt mixes with the oil and while this prevents rust, it doesn't work any more reliably a year later than if stored dry. In either case it is uncertain that the little springs will push the pins in fully, whether it is dry or filthy with crud.

Yep getting out the Hi-Lift is like giving a monkey a handgun when that's the ultimate last option -then expecting this will help anything.

A minor note - Traditional Hi-Lift has a cast iron base and they now also have a lesser line with a stamped base. Difference????

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #8,944  
Lube vs no: Yes clean and lube if you are getting it out for a specific project. My experience with storing it lubed was dirt mixes with the oil and while this prevents rust, it doesn't work any more reliably a year later than if stored dry. In either case it is uncertain that the little springs will push the pins in fully, whether it is dry or filthy with crud.

Yep getting out the Hi-Lift is like giving a monkey a handgun when that's the ultimate last option -then expecting this will help anything.

A minor note - Traditional Hi-Lift has a cast iron base and they now also have a lesser line with a stamped base. Difference????
My "Hi Lift Extreme" with the cast base.... The base is actually bent. I had a Jeep kick the Hi Lift out and the base tweaked. I once saw a video of some Australian guys who made a really cool base with cables that stabilized the jack and made it exponentially more safe. Every time I think about using that jack I think back to that video and wish that I had copied it.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #8,948  
Got it out together. Geeze, out of about 48 bolts, 2 bolt holes were stamped in the correct position. It goes together, but not because you ask it nicely.... You need to do some convincing to get it to line up. IMG_20180421_171244039_LL.jpegIMG_20180421_171226631_LL.jpeg

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #8,949  
Holy crap!!!

Less than Holy. It was made for a movie.
Best Branded Video Ad Campaign - Planet Of The Hoax Video
Planet of the Apes: Can Chimps Really Shoot Guns?

Video of Chimp with AK 47 Firing at Soldiers - Facts - Hoax Or Fact

The footage is not real; the video was actually created to build hype for the concept of the movie “Rise of the Planet of the Apes“. The movie made into theaters on 5 August 2011 and had the storyline saying monkeys can rebel and use the advanced weapons we humans have developed against us. The video showing Chimp with AK-47 was in fact a part of viral ad campaign for promoting the film.

Bruce

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #8,950  
Less than Holy. It was made for a movie.
Best Branded Video Ad Campaign - Planet Of The Hoax Video
Planet of the Apes: Can Chimps Really Shoot Guns?

Video of Chimp with AK 47 Firing at Soldiers - Facts - Hoax Or Fact

The footage is not real; the video was actually created to build hype for the concept of the movie “Rise of the Planet of the Apes“. The movie made into theaters on 5 August 2011 and had the storyline saying monkeys can rebel and use the advanced weapons we humans have developed against us. The video showing Chimp with AK-47 was in fact a part of viral ad campaign for promoting the film.

Bruce
Good... I feel better now.