Oil & Fuel Tractor Use of Red Dyed Fuel on Public Roads

/ Tractor Use of Red Dyed Fuel on Public Roads #71  
Here in Maine anyway, off road equipment does have to be registered and tagged with plates at times. I have actually seen bulldozers with license plates that were up to date. That is because any contractor working for the Maine Dept of Transportation is required by law to register the equipment since they are working on public roads.

I still think it is stupid, but go through a state construction zone and you will see license plates on all the equipment. I would assume they would have to operate with on-road fuel too.

It's all about the money!

/ Tractor Use of Red Dyed Fuel on Public Roads #72  
Same goes for bicycles. They don't need to stop, can turn any which way all in the guile of ecology.

Must be a Canadian thing. Or state/province thing. In Vermont bicycles are required to observe all the rules of the road, same as any motor vehicle.

However, you bring up a good point - the waste of fuel/energy from unnecessary slowing. In much of western Europe, there are very few STOP signs. Most intersections have Yield signs (and Right of Way indicators on the predominant road). They also use a lot more traffic circles than you see in the USA, although we do have a few here in New England. I would be very interested in a study as to how much energy could be saved by converting most STOP signs to Yield signs in the USA. This would not just be gas/diesel, but also longer wear on tires and brakes. Not to mention better mental health of the citizens...

/ Tractor Use of Red Dyed Fuel on Public Roads #73  
Must be a Canadian thing. Or state/province thing. In Vermont bicycles are required to observe all the rules of the road, same as any motor vehicle.
They are required to follow the rules of the road in Maine also, but often don't. There also are some exceptions; motorists are required to stop for them as well as pedestrians in crosswalks.

However, you bring up a good point - the waste of fuel/energy from unnecessary slowing. In much of western Europe, there are very few STOP signs. Most intersections have Yield signs (and Right of Way indicators on the predominant road). They also use a lot more traffic circles than you see in the USA, although we do have a few here in New England. I would be very interested in a study as to how much energy could be saved by converting most STOP signs to Yield signs in the USA. This would not just be gas/diesel, but also longer wear on tires and brakes. Not to mention better mental health of the citizens...
One thing that drives me nuts is driving through the main artery of town and stopping at every stop light; as one turns green you watch the next one turn red. You could never get it so that all would be green but think of how much fuel/time could be saved if they were synchronized so that you didn't need to stop at every one.

/ Tractor Use of Red Dyed Fuel on Public Roads #74  
Human powered bicycles think they own the road and frequently dart across the street from one "bike lane" to another "bike lane" on the other side of the road (usually with a Starbuck's cup in one hand)...very dangerous. Seems like if they use the road like motorized vehicles they should be paying road "tax" too.

I recently took a 900 mile Harley ride into MT, SK, AB and BC and found myself in Fernie, BC. BEAUTIFUL PLACE and the streets are chocked with bicycles, HOWEVER in Fernie the riders looked both ways (for the most part) before crossing the street...maybe it's a Canadian thing. Parking lot at Tim Horton's was full of bikes but I don't recall seeing anyone riding with a cup in hand.

/ Tractor Use of Red Dyed Fuel on Public Roads #75  
Actually there is a difference in the fuel, at least here in Tennessee. Off-road diesel can have more sulfur content than on-road diesel. It specifically states on the pump that off-road diesel doesn't meet DOT or EPA emission standards for road use. Can't understand how road diesel could be cheaper anywhere with the highway fuel tax added, but maybe your state tax is low.

This comes up in other threads and has already been answered.

Found this and seems all diesel is ULSD now days, whether it had dye or not.

Ultra-low-sulfur diesel fuel was proposed by EPA as a new standard for the sulfur content in on-road diesel fuel sold in the United States since October 15, 2006, except for rural Alaska which transferred in 2010. California has required it since September 1, 2006. This new regulation applies to all diesel fuel, diesel fuel additives and distillate fuels blended with diesel for on-road use, such as kerosene, however, it does not yet apply to railroad locomotives, marine, or off-road uses. Since December 1, 2010, all highway diesel fuel have been ULSD. Non-road diesel engine fuel was required to move to 500 ppm sulfur in 2007, and further to ULSD in 2010. Railroad locomotive and marine diesel fuel also moved to 500 ppm sulfur in 2007, and will change to ULSD in 2012. There are exemptions for small refiners of non-road, locomotive and marine diesel fuel that allow for 500 ppm diesel to remain in the system until 2014. After December 1, 2014 all highway, non-road, locomotive and marine diesel fuel produced and imported will be ULSD.

/ Tractor Use of Red Dyed Fuel on Public Roads #76  

Often times in my area of oklahoma I suspect that after a couple of wrecks at yield signs they just stick up a stop sign since the yield sight is not working........Stop signs also seem to be used to keep traffic speeds down. Local police seem to write tickets for few traffic violations. Not stopping and speeding and DUI seems to be the only tickets written. I have never seen a law enforcement officer check for fuel types in vehicles. Only heard of a few cases of tax issues with red fuel and farming use.

/ Tractor Use of Red Dyed Fuel on Public Roads #77  
Human powered bicycles think they own the road and frequently dart across the street from one "bike lane" to another "bike lane" on the other side of the road (usually with a Starbuck's cup in one hand)...very dangerous. Seems like if they use the road like motorized vehicles they should be paying road "tax" too.

I recently took a 900 mile Harley ride into MT, SK, AB and BC and found myself in Fernie, BC. BEAUTIFUL PLACE and the streets are chocked with bicycles, HOWEVER in Fernie the riders looked both ways (for the most part) before crossing the street...maybe it's a Canadian thing. Parking lot at Tim Horton's was full of bikes but I don't recall seeing anyone riding with a cup in hand.

I have never seen a coffee cup in hand bicyclist and we are the home of Starbucks. Having said that, bicyclists are required to follow traffic laws but seldom ever do. They are horrible offenders of the laws and moochers of the system of roads. They pay no licenses fees, they pay no fuel tax and they demand bicycle lanes. When bicyclists start paying their fair share for roads it seems pigs will be flying. They built a multi million dollar bike lane here recently and the bicyclists will not use most of it because it is more convenient to stay on the shoulder of the road.

/ Tractor Use of Red Dyed Fuel on Public Roads #78  
I have never seen a coffee cup in hand bicyclist and we are the home of Starbucks. Having said that, bicyclists are required to follow traffic laws but seldom ever do. They are horrible offenders of the laws and moochers of the system of roads. They pay no licenses fees, they pay no fuel tax and they demand bicycle lanes. When bicyclists start paying their fair share for roads it seems pigs will be flying. They built a multi million dollar bike lane here recently and the bicyclists will not use most of it because it is more convenient to stay on the shoulder of the road.
At least they stay on the shoulder. One of the scariest things on the road is a kid riding a bicycle; you never know what they are going to do.
I've had them switch sides of the road without even looking over their shoulder; if not for my paranoia I would have hit two kids on one bike who did that just after a coworker had passed them.

/ Tractor Use of Red Dyed Fuel on Public Roads #79  
Scary! Still a lot of our roads have no shoulders. Idiots are in the middle of the road doing 5-20 mph.

/ Tractor Use of Red Dyed Fuel on Public Roads #80  
Bicycles on public roads should be banned. They pay nothing and think they’re entitled to riding in the middle of the road at 10 mph.