Anyone ever regretted buying a HST?

/ Anyone ever regretted buying a HST? #101  
9DA28D12-49A0-43C4-822A-6A742DDC170F.jpeg

Blue tractor in the background is my New Holland T4.75. At wat the noise level in the cab is 72 decibels according to my meter. This unit has a 12 X 12 transmission with shuttle shift.
Orange tractor is my Kubota 2650 with HST. At wat, not even moving, the hydraulic whine is at 90 decibels which will cause permanent damage to hearing after just 30 minutes. I hate the noise it makes!
The Kubota 2650 is just about the smallest tractor on the market with cab and AC, their best seller now, and back ordered in most markets. I bought mine sight unseen since there were none to be test driven in the area and wish I had not. The noise even with ear muffs on is loud and makes the radio useless. Great tractor but the noise sucks......

/ Anyone ever regretted buying a HST? #102  
My 21HP HST does not whine to any noticeable degree. I would think whine is more a function of the HST design/range selection.

I was basing it on the BX's in the neighborhood. They seem to whine quite a bit.

/ Anyone ever regretted buying a HST?
View attachment 558580

Blue tractor in the background is my New Holland T4.75. At wat the noise level in the cab is 72 decibels according to my meter. This unit has a 12 X 12 transmission with shuttle shift.
Orange tractor is my Kubota 2650 with HST. At wat, not even moving, the hydraulic whine is at 90 decibels which will cause permanent damage to hearing after just 30 minutes. I hate the noise it makes!
The Kubota 2650 is just about the smallest tractor on the market with cab and AC, their best seller now, and back ordered in most markets. I bought mine sight unseen since there were none to be test driven in the area and wish I had not. The noise even with ear muffs on is loud and makes the radio useless. Great tractor but the noise sucks......

How did you differentiate between the noise level of the transmission and the engine when obtaining the decibel rating?
90 db is the equivalent of being next to a gas powered lawn mower as it is running.

/ Anyone ever regretted buying a HST? #104  
View attachment 558580

Don't worry, in a year or two, you will be just like the rest of the guys in here and you won't even hear it any longer...

SR

Last edited:
   / Anyone ever regretted buying a HST? #108  
Well, along with convenience factor we've come up with a couple of things that future tractor buyers and manufacturers may want think about:
1. HSTs vary; some whine a lot & others little to none.
2. Everyone dislikes the HST whine, and some people outright hate it.

rScotty
eh..? what did you say?

/ Anyone ever regretted buying a HST? #110  
I can't believe how defensive some people get at the mere suggestion that they might have a whiny tractor.