Anyone ever regretted buying a HST?

/ Anyone ever regretted buying a HST? #121  
I think gear vs. hydro really depends on what you plan to use your tractor for.

For a true field machine I would likely go the gear route - lower initial cost, likely simpler internals, and a few more PTO hp typically. For my uses I went hydro and am very happy with much purchase thus far with about 180 hrs on the clock. I've used my tractor for moving round bales, moving lots of dirt, running a finish mower, loading/unloading equipment off a trailer, etc. I really like the finesse of the hydro gives me vs. a clutch and my ability to quickly change speed when traveling around to account for bumps/etc. when moving bales and mowing. The only downfall I see is that it's too easy for my wife to drive! :laughing:

/ Anyone ever regretted buying a HST?
I appreciate everyone's input. I plan on buying a HST model.

/ Anyone ever regretted buying a HST? #123  
Yay! I can sleep better tonight. :laughing:

Now you only have to decide what brand, model, options..... :thumbsup:

/ Anyone ever regretted buying a HST? #124  
My 21HP HST does not whine to any noticeable degree. I would think whine is more a function of the HST design/range selection.

I was on my 21 HP HST this weekend quite a bit and I have to counter myself. There is a slight whine, but it is hard to hear it over the roar of the engine
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I wear hearing protection anyway whether it is on a gear or hydro. Makes no difference to me. All good.

/ Anyone ever regretted buying a HST? #125  
I used my HST Kioti today to build a mud run for my granddaughter's birthday. If it had been a gear drive I don't know how I would have got it done. Constantly going forward, stopping, and reversing all afternoon.

Each type has it's place.

RSKY

/ Anyone ever regretted buying a HST? #126  
I used my HST Kioti today to build a mud run for my granddaughter's birthday. If it had been a gear drive I don't know how I would have got it done. Constantly going forward, stopping, and reversing all afternoon.
RSKY
I had no idea there were so many disabled tractors owners, on this site... lol

SR

/ Anyone ever regretted buying a HST?
Yay! I can sleep better tonight. :laughing:

Now you only have to decide what brand, model, options..... :thumbsup:

Boy, tell ya what. I never owned a tractor before and it is sort of overwhelming at this point. Luckily for me not planning to buy till fall or later.

/ Anyone ever regretted buying a HST? #129  
Boy, tell ya what. I never owned a tractor before and it is sort of overwhelming at this point. Luckily for me not planning to buy till fall or later.

Best thing you can do is take your time and sit on and operate as many different ones that you can. It's an eye opener. As I mentioned, when I was looking back in 2001, I had it narrowed down to a specific model of Deere, Kubota, New Holland, Cub Cadet and Power Trac in the specs list spreadsheet that I made for myself. Then I started going to dealers and sitting on them. That dumped a couple off the list right there, as I couldn't fit on them comfortably, and I'm only 6' tall, about 200# at the time. Size 13 shoes. If I had winter boots on, I couldn't operate some of the foot controls. The tops of my thighs rubbed bottom of the steering wheel on one. I don't like a one-foot forward/reverse treadle. Had to reach for the FEL joystick.... look for things like that. It makes a huge difference in operator fatigue IF you're going to be operating it for hours and hours on end. If it's only for short periods, then some of those things aren't a deal breaker.

Then, a lot of folks bring the whole dealer issue into the equation. And it's a valid consideration for a lot of people. If the dealer is a jerk, then you get to deal with that jerk for years and years. Or, they may be a great sales department with not such a good service dept. Or, they can be a great service dept. So do your homework on that aspect as well. Personally, I've never had a good experience with car dealers, and tractor shopping put two more checks in the NO column because of the dealer attitude.

I've always enjoed working on my own stuff, so the Power Trac was the right choice for me in that regard, as it's factory direct with NO dealers/service centers. It certainly isn't the right choice for a lot of people because of that, but I'm happy with that as I get to call the factory and speak with the people that built it. They'll overnight parts to me if needed, or, I can ship parts to them for repair. Anyhow, the Power Trac is a different species of animal all together compared to a conventional tractor, but you get the point.... do your dealer research dilligently. ;)