Sidehills with a cab vs without

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Sidehills with a cab vs without #1  

troverman

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota MX6000 Cab
I am an experienced tractor operator and I use my machines to mow 3/1 slope which I mow on the sidehill and not up and down. This is a capped landfill with distinct tiers and berms so mowing up and down is simply not practical. I've been performing this job for 4 years now and not had an incident. I use a 2002 Kubota L4310 and a 2013 Kubota B2920 for mowing. Both tractors are running flail mowers (6' and 4', respectively) behind them. Both have loaded rear tires; the B-series has 2" wheel spacers on the rear.

After a few years of breathing in dust, pollen, and grass clippings I'm thinking I'd like to get a cab tractor. Specifically, a Kubota Grand L 60 series machine. The idea of filtered, cooled air is very appealing.

My question is regarding the stability difference of a tractor with a cab. I believe the old L4310 has the same size tires as the L60 series. However, I'm assuming the added weight and height of the cab would make the tractor more top-heavy and less stable on a side hill? How much of a difference would there be?

Thanks in advance.

/ Sidehills with a cab vs without #2  
The 3:1 slope is aggressive. Those slopes make me nervous even without the cab.

I don't have a direct apples to apples comparison, but we use my 770 on slopes quite a bit. It has unloaded turfs with a homemade cab that is really heavy. But it has gone on its side a least once that I know of, on slopes that aren't quite as steep. Loading the turfs and wheel spacers are on the list of projects.

The cabs will add quite a bit of weight, raising the COG. I wonder if it would be offset with 2 or 3" wheel spacers? i think if you can live with a wider track, you may be OK, but would want a lot of verification here and with your dealer before purchase.

/ Sidehills with a cab vs without #3  
My question is regarding the stability difference of a tractor with a cab. I'm assuming the added weight and height of the cab would make the tractor more top-heavy and less stable on a side hill? How much of a difference would there be?

Some.

Consider ordering factory radial tractor tires, which will lower tractor center of gravity slightly, are wider and used inflated at lower pressure. Radials yield better traction because with lower pressure three tread bars normally contacts the ground, not two.

Fill the tires 1/2 to 3/4 with liquid. I would fill 1/2 with premium priced, dense Rim Guard in your situation.
VIDEO: tractor radial tires - YouTube

Grand L cab with heat and AC will weigh 600 pounds.

/ Sidehills with a cab vs without #4  
I'm sure others with real world experience will chime in, but from a physics perspective:

1. How much more does the cab model weigh than open station? (Lets say its 500lbs)
2. Where is center of gravity (COG) for just the cab itself ? (Guess: About 3/4 of it's height? Say 4' above operators feet?)
3. Say the COG of an open station tractor is at operator's feet too.

Using these made up numbers, it would seem the cab's additional "levering" effect is that it raises the tractors COG the same as if you've added 500 lbs 4'-6" above an open station tractor's COG. Someone may be able to calculate how much overall COG raises if base tractor is (say) 4000lbs.

Whether this higher COG is that significant depends on your tire spacing width.

Last edited:
   / Sidehills with a cab vs without #5  
How many acres? IMO you would need to step up to a 4WD AG tractor with duels on rear and fill all the tires with fluid.

I use a 155 horse machine no spacers(those would cut turning radius), no weights just fluid tires with a landpride batwing that has aircraft tires.
Laminated wheels won't stay on the slope especially when backing up getting in corners.

I'm mowing 300 acres on a flood control structure. I can get on a slope with my set up you can barely walk up. But I'm not turning on it just backing in there and driving out.

I was mowing the other day and went on a ride for about 40 feet, I was turning down hill and the tractor wasn't in 4WD, it took off sliding towards a concrete v ditch and luckily I just was able to keep turning left and didn't jackknife the bushhog or go into the ditch.

I hope you find something and get out of the dust.

/ Sidehills with a cab vs without #6  

You solution seems rather extreme,

OP
Believe OP would be better off looking at a power trac. Suggest sending Moss Road a PM, seek his opinion, although they no longer offer cabs.

A 700 series Bobcat skid steer has a cab and AWS, so they turn like a tractor, no lawnscape damage. Very wide stance tires available PLUS
Very low center of gravity. 90" finish mower or a variety of rotary cut options. Nice cab, many amenities. Expensive however, about 58K ($)

They are part billygoat operating on a slope, 90+ hp, NO DPF, very powerful.

EDIT:
I added a cab to my MX, increased weight 900 pounds. I am very conscious of the change in gravity center when I operate on a grade.

/ Sidehills with a cab vs without #7  
I'm guessing the cab would raise your COG a bit. I should not say this, but it seems tractors can handle a grade much steeper than what I am comfortable with. I saw a 5000 series deere mowing sideways on a ditch slope the other day that I could not believe.

DSC01229b.jpg

This ten foot 56 HP Cushman is about the safest thing I know to cut slopes. Not so great in the water!
IT will put the Steiner with duals to shame and I can almost guarantee it would start to slide on a slope before over turning.

/ Sidehills with a cab vs without #8  
Jeffy

The radial tire would NOT be a wider tire. Size, (rolling circumfrence) remains the same however w/ a metric designation. Do agree the contact footprint is increased. The psi for 3rd generation radials may be lower but 3rd gen tires are produced only for large AG tractors

Believe tire manufacturers market radials for increased traction and NOT hillside stability. Can you share literature touting radials for sloped applications? Just have NOT seen that marketing approach?

/ Sidehills with a cab vs without #9  

You solution seems rather extreme,

OP
Believe OP would be better off looking at a power trac. Suggest sending Moss Road a PM, seek his opinion, although they no longer offer cabs.

A 700 series Bobcat skid steer has a cab and AWS, so they turn like a tractor, no lawnscape damage. Very wide stance tires available PLUS
Very low center of gravity. 90" finish mower or a variety of rotary cut options. Nice cab, many amenities. Expensive however, about 58K ($)

They are part billygoat operating on a slope, 90+ hp, NO DPF, very powerful.

EDIT:
I added a cab to my MX, increased weight 900 pounds. I am very conscious of the change in gravity center when I operate on a grade.

Nope not in the least, the horse power could be less but I wouldn't go below 85 really 100. What I posted is what will get on a steep slope and cut grass safely. But if he only has a few acres then that would be different. You look at what road ROW crews use on GRASS, LMAO, I've never seen them with a freaking skid steer, LMAO!!

/ Sidehills with a cab vs without #10  
Never seen a roadside mower w/ duels? Got some pics, Many of those operators have frequent underware changes. Ther primary purpose for tractors is twofold: one is visibility and the second is roadspeed so they can get back to the barn to change their shorts.

And dont laugh too hard, wouldn't want to to loose your balance. The OP is not mowing the roadside, CORRECT?

1010, Completely missed my point, Said tractors are used over skidsteers for TRAFFIC visibility. Said nothing about duels and speed. But the Current trend for roadside work is a hydo side mount flail and a rear flail. Duels DO interfer w/ that Application!!

EDIT: ROW tool my utility uses: ROW and Roadside maintenance, two very different applications, the OP does neither. The additional hydra ax head used for Utility Power Line access maintenance.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-06-18-14-28-40_kindlephoto-19920598.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-06-18-14-28-40_kindlephoto-19920598.jpg
    663.6 KB · Views: 218
  • Screenshot_2018-06-18-15-29-32.png
    Screenshot_2018-06-18-15-29-32.png
    3 MB · Views: 166
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.