Another slope application question

/ Another slope application question #31  
The iPhones have a level built into the compass app that can be used as an inclinometer. Swipe your compass to the left to see the level.

Hill High Guy, your property has nice character.

/ Another slope application question #32  
Well, you can see that I have a nice variety of slope.

View attachment 559609

That hill in the front looks steeper than my claimed 17 degree slope with near mandatory sideways mowing. Maybe being a good bit longer makes it look steeper than my hill. I think you dealer is blowing smoke that a BX equivalent would be better than a B equivalent. Sorry I’m not familiar with JD terms. Believe I’d look for orange with that dealer anyway.

Last edited:
   / Another slope application question #34  
Hill High,

Nice looking house and property layout. It would have been good to know early on that you're actually a contractor and not just having a home built - as typically a contractor has familiarity with equipment in general - and may have other uses for the tractor too.

Looks from the outside like you do nice work.

However, only from the single picture you showed - the only steep slopes I could see that reminded me of ours are on the very far left side of the picture just before the woods - but those look to be up and down possibly instead of sidehill (I can't see behind your house).

Other than that one area I mentioned I could see - I don't believe you'd have any problems at all with a BX or my Massey GC 1715 or a B2601. Even a front mount Grasshopper would be fine on it I would virtually all of it I would think.

And being a Home builder as a business - the B2601 could come in handy for some jobs too as long as you don't let others run it (no matter how much experience they have) LOL.

jmho

/ Another slope application question #35  
Hill High,

Nice looking house and property layout. It would have been good to know early on that you're actually a contractor and not just having a home built - as typically a contractor has familiarity with equipment in general - and may have other uses for the tractor too.

However, only from the single picture you showed - the only steep slopes I could see that reminded me of ours are on the very far left side of the picture just before the woods - but those look to be up and down possibly instead of sidehill (I can't see behind your house).

Other than that one area I mentioned I could see - I don't believe you'd have any problems at all with a BX or my Massey GC 1715 or a B2601. Even a front mount Grasshopper would be fine on it I would virtually all of it I would think.

And being a Home builder as a business - the B2601 could come in handy for some jobs too as long as you don't let others run it (no matter how much experience they have) LOL.

jmho

You don’t have much experience with a front mount grasshopper do you. If you intended on beating one of those you better show up with a dedicated hill side mower with duels on it.

/ Another slope application question #36  
You don稚 have much experience with a front mount grasshopper do you. If you intended on beating one of those you better show up with a dedicated hill side mower with duels on it.

Assuming what you don't know always has the potential for embarassment

/ Another slope application question #37  
Well I don’t own one but I’ve seen them do stuff that I wouldn’t do with my mid mount. I know for a fact that without adding ridiculous amounts of weight like a 2” thick steel “skid” plate that a subcompact tractor will be on its side before my mid mount grasshopper gives up.

/ Another slope application question
Hill High,

jmho

Thanks for the kind words Axlehub. I work for a national builder and years ago, I was the guy in the field building houses. These days I'm a corporate puke but I'm also cheap so I wasn't going to pay someone to do something I could do. I've built a couple for myself over the years but this one was a crusher with the weather over the Winter and the rock I ran in to during excavation. I can run a skid steer and back hoe but I'm dangerous so I leave that to the professionals LOL. There is going to be a lot of work to get this property to resemble some sort of yard. Since it was an old apple orchard, I intended to plant a bunch of fruit trees, put in a large garden, maybe some grape vines (this part of VA is "wine country").

I'm going to put my down payment down on a B2601 TLB tomorrow. With how uneven the property is at this point, I'm going for a RFM instead of the MMM. Of all the tractors I drove, this one seems to fit me the best. I'll post pics when I get it.

/ Another slope application question #39  
Well I don稚 own one but I致e seen them do stuff that I wouldn稚 do with my mid mount. I know for a fact that without adding ridiculous amounts of weight like a 2 thick steel 都kid plate that a subcompact tractor will be on its side before my mid mount grasshopper gives up.

That was a similar statement the Grasshopper salesman made when he stopped out to demo a unit (a front mount). He ended up in the neighbors yard twice and almost in the drainage ditch once.

I'm amazed how much some people don't understand the grass type and sidehills are a combined issue. I've always liked the bigger front mount grasshoppers for slope . . . But sidehills is a different story. As is the need for using r3 treaded tires is important too

Last edited:
   / Another slope application question #40  
Turf tires on wet grass are a recipe for failure. Add in a smaller less capable zero turn with an inexperienced operator and it’s no wonder they have s bad rap. I put get something done tires on my grasshopper and being one of the widest models with plenty of ballast over the drive tires I stick with my original statement that a compact tractor will be on its side before my grasshopper gives up. IMG_4309.JPG