Another slope application question

/ Another slope application question #41  

Its. good you are happy with your equipment choices

/ Another slope application question #42  

That was a similar statement the Grasshopper salesman made when he stopped out to demo a unit (a front mount). He ended up in the neighbors yard twice and almost in the drainage ditch once.

I'm amazed how much some people don't understand the grass type and sidehills are a combined issue. I've always liked the bigger front mount grasshoppers for slope . . . But sidehills is a different story. As is the need for using r3 treaded tires is important too
R3 turf tires are better on slopes and sidehills for your area/lawn? I can't hold a mower (slope or sidehill) on my hills with R3's. When I tested mowers with R3's (Scag and GH) I slid down and lost control even when it was dry. If I did get traction to climb, I couldn't stop and restart while going up the hill without spinning. Bar tires with low pressure made all the difference for my area.

/ Another slope application question #43  
R3 turf tires are better on slopes and sidehills for your area/lawn? I can't hold a mower (slope or sidehill) on my hills with R3's. When I tested mowers with R3's (Scag and GH) I slid down and lost control even when it was dry. If I did get traction to climb, I couldn't stop and restart while going up the hill without spinning. Bar tires with low pressure made all the difference for my area.

Good point Ford850. But remember that I didn't end up buying a traditional zero turn rider for the same reasons. My slopes and sidehills don't "play well" with zero turn riders.

But I've had good success with my SCUT (Massey GC1715) with r3 tires because turf tires have more contact points than r4 and r1 tires and the GC has considerable "low weight" which is a great advantage on Blue Grass. But the secret point is I can "hold my line" on sidehills because I'm pulling . . . . not pushing. For a traditional zero turn to holds its line of direction, 2 wheels each have to push differently (independently) to keep it going straight. But with 4wd the front wheels are active drive as well as steerable . . So all 4 wheels are working as a team effort to hold the sidehill line.

Less angled easy sidehills may allow forceful "pushing". That's exactly why the grasshopper demo person was very experienced and a gh owner himself and it was a front mount unit used. But it's also why he ended up in the neighbors yard twice and almost in the ditch once.

I also have a near new 2012 cub cadet zero turn tractor (i1050) and for slope and sidehill mowing it's stunning. Again it is steerable on the front wheels and 2 wd independent rears. Literally I can sidehill cut what are my steepest slopes because it was designed for sidehills and slopes. And it also is a unique unit for snowblowing because it's such a tight turning capability.

Zero turn grasshoppers are great mowers. . . especially the front mounts but they aren't built for sidehills like myself or my one neighbor has.

/ Another slope application question #44  
AxleHub, No doubt there are some seriously steep hills that people mow that require specialized equipment like yours. Have you measured the degree of your terrain? How big of an area is your hilled lawn? I like to see some of the differences that we all deal with during our weekly mowing rituals. ;)

/ Another slope application question #45  
AxleHub, No doubt there are some seriously steep hills that people mow that require specialized equipment like yours. Have you measured the degree of your terrain? How big of an area is your hilled lawn? I like to see some of the differences that we all deal with during our weekly mowing rituals. ;)

Ford,

I have not done any serious measuring of my slopes and sidehills - but yesterday as I was once again cutting - I was thinking that this week I should do that in some locations and attempting to get some better photos. The issue with photos is to get them after thegrass is cut but get them as profile shots so that the angles are more exposed to view.

My neighbor on the one side has one slope angle that he can't back up with his 4wd lawn tractor- but I'm able to backup any of mine (slope - not sidehill backing up). And my hydro braking is good enough to hold me even on my steepest angle - although I do keep my foot close to the brake just in case.

None of the above is with my FEL on - as that can change conditions a bit. And of course - wet grass & slopes or sidehills don't mix well on Blue Grass. I can do it - but the margin for error changes more than I'm comfortable with.

/ Another slope application question #46  
The Ventrac videos are very revealing with regard to how well they perform on slopes when mowing across slopes and reversing up slopes with their front and rear dual turf tire set ups.

/ Another slope application question #49  
For all the money they spent a 4 wheel drive spyder slope mower, or a track drive ROBOCUT with a vrisimo flail mower mounted on the front would be more cost effective.

The KOMTEK ROBOFLAIL1 would be another option to enjoy mowing while watching the mower climb in a folding chair with an adult beverage.

One major advantage of the roboflail is that the track drive can be widened to increase the stability of the machine while working.

The ROBOFLAIL can be equipped with spiked tracks to aid in obtaining traction if needed.

Last edited:
   / Another slope application question #50  
I decided to test what it would really take to flip my grasshopper. The answer was a heck of a hill. The strap is not holding anything and was only there to prevent it from rolling over. My phone angle gauge said 48 degrees and it held down even pushing on the ROPS. I’d like to see even a dedicated slope mower actually mow a hill side that steep. Just staying in the seat would be a real problem. Next I’d worry about the engine lubrication at that angle. IMG_4414.JPG