Ford 3000 with FEL

/ Ford 3000 with FEL #1  

chas0218

Gold Member
Tractor
LS MT235E
So i have searched the forum and couldn't find a whole lot pertaining to the 3000. I'm really just looking to get some advice on what to check when going to look at one. The one I'm interested in had 3550 hours and diesel. I grew up running a 4000 gas which was a great tractor for us on the farm.

A fews things I'm going to look at is the FEL for cracks, diesel in the oil, bucket weep, king pin play, and front end play.

Is there anything else with this model that would be of concern? The owner is currently using it and claims no smoking white or blue.

It is showing it's age but the tin looked solid. I'm looking to restore the tractor slowly but I want a solid tractor to start.

Thanks Chas

/ Ford 3000 with FEL #2  
I do not know that tractor but your list is a good start.

/ Ford 3000 with FEL
Thanks, i just wasnt sure if there were things to look for that can be issues.

/ Ford 3000 with FEL #4  
I've not heard of any particular issues with that tractor either. Great parts availability and dealer support network.

Is the loader a Ford model?

/ Ford 3000 with FEL
I've not heard of any particular issues with that tractor either. Great parts availability and dealer support network.

Is the loader a Ford model?
Here is a photo of the ad. It kind of looks like 771 and 772 loaders that are listed as attachments. Screenshot_20180804-174345_Chrome.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Ford 3000 with FEL
I did a little digging and it looks like the loader is off a 3400 industrial.

According to the specs of the 730 loader it is in between the 771 and 772. Either way not too bad with 2900lbs. Breakout and 2000lbs. Lift to full height.

/ Ford 3000 with FEL #8  
Take the value of my advice for the paper its written on, but I would pass on this tractor. The 3000 is a nice tractor for tractor work, it is not a nice tractor for loader work. The hydraulics will be slow, they will be ok but not real fast. The front axle and steering are not strong enough for loader work, you will tear up and rebuild the entire axle assembly over time, spindles, bearings, bushings, steering components, etc. This all in addition to the fact you will always have a 2 wheel drive tractor, that 70% of the time will be fine, but that 30% you will wish those front tires had power to them.

I have a 3910, maybe a tad stronger in the front axles, maybe the same axle, either way it is the weak link and while it all works together and I've lifted ungodly weights with it... I wish I had a different one. In 12 years of owning it: both front spindles, all the spindle bearings and bushings, a steering cylinder, a radius rod, welded the same radius rod back together three times, replaced all the wheel bearings before they were shot.

So my advice is keep looking, save your money, and get a 4wd one.

/ Ford 3000 with FEL
Take the value of my advice for the paper its written on, but I would pass on this tractor. The 3000 is a nice tractor for tractor work, it is not a nice tractor for loader work. The hydraulics will be slow, they will be ok but not real fast. The front axle and steering are not strong enough for loader work, you will tear up and rebuild the entire axle assembly over time, spindles, bearings, bushings, steering components, etc. This all in addition to the fact you will always have a 2 wheel drive tractor, that 70% of the time will be fine, but that 30% you will wish those front tires had power to them.

I have a 3910, maybe a tad stronger in the front axles, maybe the same axle, either way it is the weak link and while it all works together and I've lifted ungodly weights with it... I wish I had a different one. In 12 years of owning it: both front spindles, all the spindle bearings and bushings, a steering cylinder, a radius rod, welded the same radius rod back together three times, replaced all the wheel bearings before they were shot.

So my advice is keep looking, save your money, and get a 4wd one.
My main purpose for the tractor is for brush removal some brush hogging and light loader work. I'll be adding a 3 point hoe for drainage work and adding waterlines for irrigation. I only need a 25hp tractor but growing up we never complained about having a tractor too big. I'll also be using this for hauling some firewood around. Maybe skidding a few trees out of the woods.

A 4x4 tractor isnt in the budget for a few years just need something to tie me over until my wife's kitchen is paid off.

/ Ford 3000 with FEL #10  
imo that is a lot of tractor for $3900,
Birdhunter is right about the front ends on 3000's being the weak link- but you can service them and /or weld them back together.
The hydraulics are slow if they use the 3 points pump

They are almost To Fast if the 3000 is equipped with the pump driven off of the front of the crankshaft.

If the 3000 runs good and it has power steering and the front mounted pump I would think the price is a very good deal especially if you aren't going to be over working the front axle.