Ford 3000 with FEL

/ Ford 3000 with FEL #21  
My main purpose for the tractor is for brush removal some brush hogging and light loader work. I'll be adding a 3 point hoe for drainage work and adding waterlines for irrigation. I only need a 25hp tractor but growing up we never complained about having a tractor too big. I'll also be using this for hauling some firewood around. Maybe skidding a few trees out of the woods.

A 4x4 tractor isnt in the budget for a few years just need something to tie me over until my wife's kitchen is paid off.

That 3000 sounds like a good idea for your planned usage.

/ Ford 3000 with FEL #22  
So i have searched the forum and couldn't find a whole lot pertaining to the 3000. I'm really just looking to get some advice on what to check when going to look at one. The one I'm interested in had 3550 hours and diesel. I grew up running a 4000 gas which was a great tractor for us on the farm.

A fews things I'm going to look at is the FEL for cracks, diesel in the oil, bucket weep, king pin play, and front end play.

Is there anything else with this model that would be of concern? The owner is currently using it and claims no smoking white or blue.

It is showing it's age but the tin looked solid. I'm looking to restore the tractor slowly but I want a solid tractor to start.

Thanks Chas

# 1, 2 and 3!Any differential fluid leaks showing on or near the brake back plates area. Actually this applies to any ford with external drum and shoe brakes that will only hold if they are oil free. If the rear axles are stained black or the same stains it the end of the loader lift cylinder that shows the condition of the lift/differential oil that might be 50 years old. The 3000 I looked at had that issue plus a water/oil soup inside the transmission showing on its dipstick.

Look for anything that just does not add up. Some may not have had an engine oil change in 10-20 years or even started in 5-10 years.

Spending another $2K-$3K after purchase price is not unreal if NO engine work is required. However putting thousands of dollars in an old tractor like a 3000-4000 series Ford may add 20-40 years of useful life. Not everyone can work on these power steering control valves plus parts from NH are not cheap.

A well rebuilt 3000 Ford with a two arm FEL can be a good value in the $6K-$10K range if it holds up well.

Unless one is wanting to relive the past that are perhaps better options that 50+ year old old iron. Most old 1965-1975 3000 Fords are now junk but there are a few nice ones out there still. One fixed up by a retiring farmer 20-30 years ago that has seen little hard work since the restore and keep in a shed is about as good as it gets. Our 1966 3000 was a tractor like that but I still spent a ton of money on it and the one arm loader that is for our 20 year old daughter to keep as long as she wishes. She went with me to look at it and wanted me to buy it for her.

Now the 1980 3600 Ford is almost the inverse looks wise but until the last couple years it was used every haying season and fluids were changed regularly. It has set outside its entire life but has a good sounding powerful engine and the rest of the drive line seems solid and the lift is awesome.

OK there is no way to know the above often if one has not spent many years around this line of tractor. :)

Best of luck. Starting with a solid tractor is truly key so you have that right.