Ford 3000 with FEL

/ Ford 3000 with FEL
imo that is a lot of tractor for $3900,
Birdhunter is right about the front ends on 3000's being the weak link- but you can service them and /or weld them back together.
The hydraulics are slow if they use the 3 points pump

They are almost To Fast if the 3000 is equipped with the pump driven off of the front of the crankshaft.

If the 3000 runs good and it has power steering and the front mounted pump I would think the price is a very good deal especially if you aren't going to be over working the front axle.
Judging by his photos it is a front driven pump. My thought was to have an axle similar to the industrial style fords built to handle the added abuse the loader puts on. I'm just looking for something i can throw a load of firewood in or move a little dirt for the wifes vegetable garden, use a root grapple something along those lines.

My grandfather had a kubota L3400 (not exactly sure of the model) but we had to replace the tierods almost every 2 years. Infortunately loaders put a lot of stress on components and cause them to wear faster.

None of this will happen if the tractor isn't in good running order. That is the biggest priority.

/ Ford 3000 with FEL
Went and took a look. Tractor is in pretty good shape. The biggest turn off was someone welded the tops of the axle housings shut. I had never seen this before. Steering had a little play, no smoke as advertised started right up and ran great.

/ Ford 3000 with FEL
It came with a small dirt bucket and loader was for a smaller model I believe. Wasn't the right tractor for my needs so I'm going to keep looking. Thanks for your help everyone.

/ Ford 3000 with FEL #14  
Went and took a look. Tractor is in pretty good shape. The biggest turn off was someone welded the tops of the axle housings shut. I had never seen this before. Steering had a little play, no smoke as advertised started right up and ran great.

Rear axles? The only thing I can think of back there is the fill plugs. Probably a good thing you passed on this one, in my opinion that tractor shouldn't have a loader on it and the first time you try and go backwards uphill with a load in the bucket you won't be successful.

/ Ford 3000 with FEL
Rear axles? The only thing I can think of back there is the fill plugs. Probably a good thing you passed on this one, in my opinion that tractor shouldn't have a loader on it and the first time you try and go backwards uphill with a load in the bucket you won't be successful.
No the front axle spindles, where the spindle is attached to the steering arm. It was a little cobbed together but not horrible. I have seen a lot worse. It did have the power steering conversion done. But just dont think it is worth the asking price and he wasn't going to move.

/ Ford 3000 with FEL #16  
If the tops of the spindles have been welded to the steering arms it is because the keyways wore out from the extra force of the loader working the tires so someone welded the arms to the spindles to prevent buying new steering arms. I can't say that I haven't done that before. I've had a steering arm get worn out and I found a spindle not quite right but it fit in the bushings, Because I didn't want to get into about $500 worth of repair I tried this approach. It worked for a little while, welding cast and a hardened shaft together doesn't always work well.

Or like you said the power steering conversion got kinda hacked together.

/ Ford 3000 with FEL
If the tops of the spindles have been welded to the steering arms it is because the keyways wore out from the extra force of the loader working the tires so someone welded the arms to the spindles to prevent buying new steering arms. I can't say that I haven't done that before. I've had a steering arm get worn out and I found a spindle not quite right but it fit in the bushings, Because I didn't want to get into about $500 worth of repair I tried this approach. It worked for a little while, welding cast and a hardened shaft together doesn't always work well.

Or like you said the power steering conversion got kinda hacked together.
Yeah the weld was just gobbed on there so it's definitely a bandaid fix. If i bought it i was going to grind the weld off and see if anything could be salvaged. To fix it the right way it would cost around $600 in parts. The conversion looked okay but those welded spindles didn't give me the warm and fuzzies.

My thought was to offer $3000 and if he took it i could get a QA bracket and fix the front end. I have seen people pin the front spindles instead of welding but takes some patience drilling the hardened spindles. I wouldnt mind having a 40hp tractor for plowing and running a disc. This is just for a few years until i buy a small 30hp 4x4 loader tractor.

/ Ford 3000 with FEL #18  
Yeah the weld was just gobbed on there so it's definitely a bandaid fix. If i bought it i was going to grind the weld off and see if anything could be salvaged. To fix it the right way it would cost around $600 in parts. The conversion looked okay but those welded spindles didn't give me the warm and fuzzies.

My thought was to offer $3000 and if he took it i could get a QA bracket and fix the front end. I have seen people pin the front spindles instead of welding but takes some patience drilling the hardened spindles. I wouldnt mind having a 40hp tractor for plowing and running a disc. This is just for a few years until i buy a small 30hp 4x4 loader tractor.

Well the 3000 is capable of those jobs with loaded rear tires and a 1000+ lb implement or weight box attached.
Some old shots of my 3000 working

Plowed snow with it to and it did remove the stump in the last pic in addition to transporting it.

The 3000 Ford can do a lot of work - but it needs weight in the rear- either weights on the rear wheels or loaded tires and something heavy on the 3 point to work effectively with the FEL .
This also does wonders for backing up inclines with a fully loaded bucket.

Attachments

• 100_2231.jpg
    100_2231.jpg
    646.6 KB · Views: 121
  • mowing Kim & Dons finished 008.JPG
    mowing Kim & Dons finished 008.JPG
    783.7 KB · Views: 112
  • mowing Kim & Dons finished 003.jpg
    mowing Kim & Dons finished 003.jpg
    684.9 KB · Views: 161
  • Hay and Lilly Sept 2011 006.jpg
    Hay and Lilly Sept 2011 006.jpg
    630.5 KB · Views: 118
  • hay 2013 004.jpg
    hay 2013 004.jpg
    995.1 KB · Views: 105
  • tilling and discing 006.JPG
    tilling and discing 006.JPG
    719.3 KB · Views: 111
  • March APRIL 2012 008.jpg
    March APRIL 2012 008.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 212
Last edited:
   / Ford 3000 with FEL #19  
I would agree. It's a capable tractor. The loader is all the front end wants, but mine has never required spindle work. The loader on mine is very heavy, which can be a problem at times, especially combined with worn tires and steep hills. Keeping the bush hog on the back helps. If you don't live in the mountains it should serve you well.

/ Ford 3000 with FEL #20  
To fix it the right way it would cost around $600 in parts.

If you are estimating parts based on online suppliers be cautious as the spindles for my 3910 are not to be found online. Many suppliers have the right shaft diameters top and bottom, same wheel bearings, but the top of the spindle of mine has two key ways to match up with a steering arm that has two keys and the one keyed shaft and one keyed steering arm will not work on my tractor.

But every site has one that says will fit a 3910. Turns out my tractor was one of the ones made that has a different spindle and is really only available through New Holland parts for a price of around $350 for just the spindle.

Driving a pin through the steering arm and spindle doesn't work either, it will wear and go oval shape very quickly. I have welded them together like the 3000 you are looking at simply to get a job done, the job got done.