Snow Chains On The Front Only ??

/ Snow Chains On The Front Only ?? #11  
Boy, do I know what you mean - CADplans. True tractor chains for the rears are - heavy, expensive, tough to instal. One year I just said to H**L with it all. Put them just on the fronts. Just, almost, as good as having all four chained up. Sure a whole lot easier for this old fart.

Even better - got my M6040. Don't need chains anymore.

/ Snow Chains On The Front Only ?? #12  
Boy, do I know what you mean - CADplans. True tractor chains for the rears are - heavy, expensive, tough to instal. One year I just said to H**L with it all. Put them just on the fronts. Just, almost, as good as having all four chained up. Sure a whole lot easier for this old fart.

Even better - got my M6040. Don't need chains anymore.

Your lucky in that respect, I going out in a bit and get in my 8050 which is a few hp and a few thousand pounds heavier and move about 3 inches of heavy wet snow,without chains there is no way I would make it back up my driveway.
Feed lot tractors got chained up this morning also.
Wet snow equals instant slick around here.

/ Snow Chains On The Front Only ?? #13  
My first tractor - 1982 Ford 1700 4WD. When the driveway iced up - no question - I needed chains. My 2009 Kubota M6040 all decked out weighs - 10,100 pounds. No need for chains.

/ Snow Chains On The Front Only ?? #14  
My first tractor - 1982 Ford 1700 4WD. When the driveway iced up - no question - I needed chains. My 2009 Kubota M6040 all decked out weighs - 10,100 pounds. No need for chains.

I'm at a bit over 11,000 on the 8050, the Puma 125 is well over 15,000, the NH 6040 just a bit less, the IH Magnums 18 to 24,000 in wet packey snow once that tire runs over it, if it slips any you end up with instant ice.
The 8050 is my primary driveway tractor, my driveway is a quarter mile of 14-16 degree hill (24-26% slope), start down that you need studded tires or chains when it's got snow on it, especially wet snow.
My sand truck has studded tires with a pair of mounted tires with chains ready to go, my RAM 1500 and my wifes Equinox are on studded Nokia tires.
And I even have a set of chains for my pickup, expensive 2 links which I haven't had to use yet. I would have put them on one time but I couldn't get to them that night.
Brought the Puma over made it up the driveway plowed sanded and then drove the RAM up.

/ Snow Chains On The Front Only ?? #15  
Anyone tried adding studs to the front, or, for that matter, all of the tractor tires?

My dealer is pushing studs rather than chains.

I looked at them online last year but didn’t pull the trigger. May do so next week when I get home and start blowing snow.

/ Snow Chains On The Front Only ?? #16  
I have turf tires on my JD2210 and never needed chains or studs. I wouldn’t like the damage to my high polish concrete.

IMG_5059.jpgIMG_5064.jpg

/ Snow Chains On The Front Only ?? #17  
Studs will only help if your tires make contact with a hard surface.

/ Snow Chains On The Front Only ??
Anyone tried adding studs to the front, or, for that matter, all of the tractor tires?

My dealer is pushing studs rather than chains.

I would be afraid that next summer,, the studs would punch holes in the blades of grass as I mow,,, :confused2:

:laughing:

I have run studs and at other times, chains on a car,,

Studs increase traction like 100%,,, chains increase traction like 400%

Studs would not be enough "traction help" for me,,,

/ Snow Chains On The Front Only ?? #19  
Studs are very common on tractors and works well but chains gives more traction, the reason studs are popular here are the road use of tractors, almost all snow clearing on roads are done with tractors, lot of transportation in construction are also done by large tractors.

/ Snow Chains On The Front Only ?? #20  
I have turf tires on my JD2210 and never needed chains or studs. I wouldn’t like the damage to my high polish concrete.

View attachment 586543View attachment 586544

I really don't undersand that.
I have turfs on my Ford 1510 and it is useless in anything over 3" of snow & less then that on hills.
I even loaded all 4 tires with no improvement.
Front chains (from a lawn tractor) and it can get through 8" and more.
It even can plow as long as it isn't too wet.