Zero turns with steering wheels?

/ Zero turns with steering wheels? #1  

riverpro

Bronze Member
Tractor
none
Just curious if anyone runs one of these? Looks like John Deere and Snapper threw in the towel on these and that leaves only Cub Cadet for current models. It's my understanding that turf tear is far less with these vs. lap bars. Not sure if that's true or not?? I have some "mild" slope on one side of my home which I'm sure a lap bar zeroturn would fair just fine but really want to avoid tearing up any grass on a new seeding lawn. Any info, experience, good, bad, and just anything you care to share would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance for anything you can share!

/ Zero turns with steering wheels? #2  
Not sure about turf tear but you can't beat a good ol steering wheel...

/ Zero turns with steering wheels? #3  
Just no.....it's like kissing your sister. :shocked:

/ Zero turns with steering wheels? #4  
Toro makes one. https://www.toro.com/en/homeowner/riding-mowers/timecutter-sw5000-74790

My 92 year old Mother still loves to mow. A couple of years back her tractor mower engine blew. The mower wasn't worth replacing the engine so I started searching for her a new mower. I personally run a conventional zero turn but I knew she would not like the stick control at her age. I found this Toro and bought it. She loves it and I have to say that it has impressed me. This mower will turn just like my zero turn. I have never noticed it tearing up the turf. It does great on slopes and leaves a nice cut (especially with the mulching kit I put on it).

It has been a great mower so far that has exceeded my expectations.

/ Zero turns with steering wheels? #5  
A Scag we bought back in 1980ish times had a steering wheel.

Ralph

/ Zero turns with steering wheels? #6  
The Cadets are a different system then the deere which had caster wheels on the front. the cadets use linkage to the rear wheels as well as the fronts turning with the steering wheel. They are the best hill zero turn we sell! Another part is anyone can drive them and they do help reduce lawn damage on turns. We have actually had people return the twin sticks to get the steering wheel units.

/ Zero turns with steering wheels? #7  
The cub cadet system is different than anything on the market to my knowledge. I currently use a Toro Groundsmaster that has power steering and turns only the back steering wheels. The drive wheels just drive and do not pivot with the rear steer wheels. I get very little tear out in the yard and with the offset deck I can almost turn around 180 degrees and meet the uncut grass like a zero turn. I know that it is an odd booger but meets my needs very well.

Attachments

• Toro 3.jpg
    Toro 3.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 489
  • Toro 4.jpg
    Toro 4.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 172
   / Zero turns with steering wheels?
Toro makes one. https://www.toro.com/en/homeowner/riding-mowers/timecutter-sw5000-74790

My 92 year old Mother still loves to mow. A couple of years back her tractor mower engine blew. The mower wasn't worth replacing the engine so I started searching for her a new mower. I personally run a conventional zero turn but I knew she would not like the stick control at her age. I found this Toro and bought it. She loves it and I have to say that it has impressed me. This mower will turn just like my zero turn. I have never noticed it tearing up the turf. It does great on slopes and leaves a nice cut (especially with the mulching kit I put on it).

It has been a great mower so far that has exceeded my expectations.

Sorry, by mistake I mentioned snapper not producing these anymore but I meant Toro. Have a friend who owns a Toro dealer and they no longer offer these, although I just noticed TroyBuilt makes one but only one deck size.

Just no.....it's like kissing your sister. :shocked:

LOL, I remember someone awhile back mentioning they feel Forrest Gumpish on one though!

The cub cadet system is different than anything on the market to my knowledge. I currently use a Toro Groundsmaster that has power steering and turns only the back steering wheels. The drive wheels just drive and do not pivot with the rear steer wheels. I get very little tear out in the yard and with the offset deck I can almost turn around 180 degrees and meet the uncut grass like a zero turn. I know that it is an odd booger but meets my needs very well.

Turby's that is one serious mower, front pto and all!