Troy Bilt Horse tiller

/ Troy Bilt Horse tiller
Thanks Chev. I have removed the plunger retaining bolt. The spring and plunger do not move or come out with the bolt out. I've sprayed it down with wd40, but that didn't do anything. Could the plunger and spring be too low? If the spring/plunger are supposed to come out with the bolt removed, I guess I need to get out a prybar. The manual does not discuss removing these.

/ Troy Bilt Horse tiller #22  
   / Troy Bilt Horse tiller #23  
I have an '82 Horse. It has a "backup pulley/ring" thingey. You raise all the way up on the shift lever and this ring will engage. The unit backs up. You have to hold up on the shift lever to continuously engage this pulley/ring. Over the years the nylon/rubber outer layer on the ring has worn. Reverse is harder to maintain now than when it was new.

One of these days I shall have to replace the ring/pulley.

/ Troy Bilt Horse tiller #24  
AND,, lubed,, the pins really need regular lube so the engine goes up and down properly,,

My Troy Bilt had many prototype features on it,, including stainless pins, and grease fittings for the pins.
I still put 90WT on the pins once in a while,,,

Yes, that is the factory paint,,,

GJz3PT1.jpg

What’s in that container of Weed Preventer?

/ Troy Bilt Horse tiller #25  
Thanks, for the price info - Very helpful

Jstpssng

Will give fixing the Briggs a try first.

-if no Luck- the Predator is a great deal, knowing that there is another engine option available for a very reasonable price is good to know.

Thank you

I paid 450 for mine last month. In good shape and with a chipper, furrower, and hiller wings. Negotiated from 525.

/ Troy Bilt Horse tiller #27  
Thanks, for the price info - Very helpful

Jstpssng

Will give fixing the Briggs a try first.

-if no Luck- the Predator is a great deal, knowing that there is another engine option available for a very reasonable price is good to know.

Thank you

You never know, it might start right up. After my father passed away I was getting things running which had been setting since the Alzheimer's took over his life. His woodsplitter hadn't been run in several years and still had the old gas in it; yet it started right up on the first pull and after changing the oil I've been running it for 2 years.

/ Troy Bilt Horse tiller #30  
I do not know what year my horse is. It has the 6HP tecumseh on it and I have had it for a number of years after buying it used. It had been parked almost since new in a garage with flat tires yet cherry paint. Slightly underpowered but gets the job done. I had been looking for the 7 HP Kohler but I have to say I have not had a problem with the Tecumseh. The Troy built Horse is the Harley of tillers in my opinion. The Kohler has one of the best low idle sounds in my opinion, I need to get one someday just to hear it idle while I sip my morning coffee if nothing else.
Kohler K161 very low idle - YouTube