Troy Bilt Horse tiller

/ Troy Bilt Horse tiller #31  
If you lived closer I would give you the Kohler engine that I took off mine. There isn't much wrong with it but I replaced it because it just wouldn't run. The small engine shop that keeps my things running said that it was because of the updraft carburetor, and I got tired of messing with it.

/ Troy Bilt Horse tiller #32  
What痴 in that container of Weed Preventer?

In the mid 1970's, I used to help plant almost 1,000 acres of soybeans using the herbicide Treflan,,
Treflan is the active ingredient in that yellow box of "PREEN"

My job was running the tractor that applied the liquid spray to the soil,, and disked the chemical into the soil.

If applied correctly,, no weeds
If you missed a spot,, weeds as thick as you could imagine,,, (a strip as little as 6" wide showed up VERY distinctly!!)
If you accidentally overlapped,, (double sprayed) ,, nothing grew there that year,, at least for 3 months.
I had to keep that 20,000 pound, dual wheeled tractor at the accurate, correct location next to the last pass,, ALL DAY LONG!!:eek:
That was VERY mentally exhausting,, I imagine the computers on the tractors REALLY help these days,,,

So, here it is over 40 years later, and I find a version of Treflan in the store,, I gotta try it,,,

The Preen is kinda weak, but it does work some,, so far,,

I ordered two quarts of the full strength liquid off of eBay, but, I have not applied that,,, yet,,
The liquid is the same strength stuff I applied in the 1970's,,

/ Troy Bilt Horse tiller #33  
Thanks for that.

In the 60’s and 70’s I also used to use Treflan as a pre-emergent for for our cole crops. (Mainly rutabagas).

We incorporated it into the soil with a disc. Had to build a front mounted 100 gallon sprayer on the tractor. Treflan was very effective. I don’t recall it’s application window being too restricted by temperature or moisture but that was so long ago I could be wrong.

/ Troy Bilt Horse tiller #34  
I love my Horse, a 1979 model that I bought used a few years ago. Stored outside for over 30 years so needed new tires and some paint. It has the original 7 hp Kohler engine and burns no oil. Simple and reliable, built to last forever.
CE07313B-1CFC-4C42-B1E9-89D339617FDB.jpegB5EFE160-7969-47F8-A5AB-1E35E06C0C0B.jpeg

/ Troy Bilt Horse tiller #35  
I had a 1981 I bought used with the 7HP Kohler. They are the best, most durable air cooled engines made IMHO. I traded it in 1992 for the 8HP model with the Magnum Kohler. Still have it and it has turned lots of dirt in its time. Still looks new
IMG_3320.jpgIMG_1356.jpg

/ Troy Bilt Horse tiller #36  
I agree Steve, the K161 7 hp are bomb proof. I crack the fuel line and it starts on the first pull every time.

In Canada a new horse sells for $2500 plus 15% sales tax so I am impressed with mine that cost me $500 in total after I added new rubber and a set of new tines. A simple machine that works really well. I don’t have any attachments for mine but I basically just use it to till the garden.

/ Troy Bilt Horse tiller #37  
I love my Horse, a 1979 model that I bought used a few years ago. Stored outside for over 30 years so needed new tires and some paint. It has the original 7 hp Kohler engine and burns no oil. Simple and reliable, built to last forever.
View attachment 608366View attachment 608365

Are those after/before pictures of the same machine?