Spare tire on underside of DUMP trailer bed

/ Spare tire on underside of DUMP trailer bed #11  
I added a side mount to mine. Its a welded mount purchased online. 20190918_085555-0.jpg

/ Spare tire on underside of DUMP trailer bed #12  
   / Spare tire on underside of DUMP trailer bed #13  
I got a tire winch off a wrecked pickup and mounted it under our gooseneck. Keeps it out of the sun.

IMG_0842.JPG
IMG_0841.JPG
IMG_0843.JPG
IMG_0844.JPG
IMG_0845.JPG

/ Spare tire on underside of DUMP trailer bed
Shane I WANTED one of thise little spare tire winches, but just had to power ahead and get the thing mounted.
I don't envision using it a lot, or while wearing my best clothes (which are barely distinguishable from my worst)

grs I guess I could have mounted it there next to the box but thought it would be in the way. (compared to under).
I thought under (hidden) might be better somehow.
It is hidden from the sun too.
It's certainly more difficult to check the air pressure,
but as a dump trailer theres a button for that.:thumbsup:
I didn't research it a whole lot, just got a bee in my bonnet and did it.

Barn, it's sort of a "walking beam" the center leafs are on a little beam.
I'd be suprised if it couldn't run on 3 wheels, but there's very little point in testing it, I'll find out if I get a flat.
If it can "almost run flat" then for sure it can run with a wheel removed.

When I bought this trailer , I didn't know anything about dump trailers.
It's high, and narrow, which for awhile I thought was a bummer.
Which it sure is if you have to shovel into it by hand.
Which has been much more trouble for the shovel guys......
But not to me, I've always had a tractor to load it.
It dumps a little better from high, you don't have to drive ahead.
But it seems kinda high to get my (2T) mini-excavator in there (perched up high :shocked:)

621776d1568825764-spare-tire-underside-dump-trailer-same_width_as_pickup-jpg

A benefit that I didn't even know I needed, was that it's the same width as my truck.
And where I've been dumping (sculpting my hilly land) the trailer being the same width as the truck has been ESSENTIAL.
Much better for reversing.
All those Rhododendrons around, I know you guys are cringing in fear with me.

Attachments

• same_width_as_pickup.jpg
    same_width_as_pickup.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 523
Last edited:
   / Spare tire on underside of DUMP trailer bed #15  
IMG_0618.JPG

^^^ that’s ideal^^^.

/ Spare tire on underside of DUMP trailer bed #16  
I would mount that on the side or front before under like that. Fully loaded is the only time you will get a flat. Side or front also makes it easier and a visual clue to also check the air in the spare.

I would mount that on the side or front before under like that. Fully loaded is the only time you will get a flat. Side or front also makes it easier and a visual clue to also check the air in the spare.

I'm kinda happy with my location.

I would not mount it on the side (of this trailer). That the trailer is same width as my pickup has been very useful for reversing.
Which happens a lot with my dump trailer. Long skinny driveway on steep land.
I've seen them mounted on the side of wider beds that have the wheels and fenders outside the bed.
The spare mounts higher, and blocks mirror view above the fenders.
But that's where they mount them. Not ideal for my trailer or my location.
On those trailers, I've seen available space up front on the underside of the bed.

On the Front_vs_underneath issue.

My trailer has a tailgate, and being a dump trailer a button lifts the bed even loaded ( :D imagine THAT! :D ).
(unless overloaded - or - dead battery :eek:).
Underneath, benefits are its NEVER in the way, and it's theft-resistant.
Fingers crossed it won't leak much air.....
Almost every time I use it, there's a battery-charge session either before or after, which is an easy time to lift the bed & check pressure.
Or go under.

I'm satisfied FWIW.
One thing I do different:
Rather than a hitch pin on the pivot, a chain across the bottom holding the latch could have a padlock on it, and also like a "cradle".

Lots of ways to look at it, but the best thing is --- its done and I don't need to re-visit it
(off my list!).

/ Spare tire on underside of DUMP trailer bed #18  
That's a nice rack you made, but I still think I'd rather have it on the side or front of the box for easier access.

Funny story time...
I bought a 5th wheel RV. It came with junk Chinese tires. Not wanting to deal with a blowout while trying to have a good time, I swapped them out for some BFG Commercial TA. A friend of mine wanted the basically new tires that I took off.

A couple years later I borrowed a dump trailer from the same friend. Guess what tires were on that trailer? Guess who had a blowout on the way to the dump? :banghead:

Every usage is different.
If I was in South Dakota, and never backing it near Rhododendrons (that I consider armed and dangerous) I might have never come to these conclusions.

I lent my trailer to a friend, it came back with a separated tread.
They are not name-brand, and I don't recall what brand.
I don't know if he ran over something heavy or if the tire was damaged at some other time.
Or just a cheapo POS.
Glad it didn't blow on him.:eek:

But anyway that spurred me on to get a spare on-board and now I'm good.

If somehow your BFGs got run low, (pick up a nail etc) they could become damaged & blowout someday too.
My dump trailer is pretty vulnerable for picking up nails.
The 4 tires scrub hard on the ground when horsing it around, and then it gets loaded heavy.
But other times it's pretty light, and the brakes skid the rear tires.

/ Spare tire on underside of DUMP trailer bed #20  
Great Idea. I wish it would work on my boat. :)