Leaf Collection Options?

/ Leaf Collection Options? #11  
oosik
Whoopy Do & a double Ya Hoo. This year - no raking of the pine needles. They all fell with no wind to blow them out onto the lawns. Pine needles can be a real ***** to rake.
Good size back pack blower does :thumbsup: job.

/ Leaf Collection Options? #12  
Just trying to see if I have any good options for collecting leaves, given what I have which is a L2501 and a ZTR (Ferris 2100 61" deck). The tractor has no mower (well a flail) but obviously a pto. I suppose the ZTR deck could accept some kind of towed behind powered collection system but as I recall it is not rated to pull much weight and I wouldn't want to overwork the transmission in it. I have a lot of leaves and plenty of woods to dump them in.
Do you have some type of trailer already? We use a leaf loader on the dump trailer with a leaf box ( 2x4s, plywood and mesh tarp) and backpack blowers to push the leaves to it. Ive seen some on lawnsite (I think) where the box is triangular and mounted on a flat trailer too.

Attachments

• 2B5FBFF8-E492-423B-B6AA-C24499A304E8.jpeg
    2B5FBFF8-E492-423B-B6AA-C24499A304E8.jpeg
    129.9 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
   / Leaf Collection Options? #13  
Why collect leaves? Just grind them up in place with a lawn mower. Best is a mulching mower but a non mulcher can be used by just discharging inward on a decreasing surround until the engine cannot take it any more. Then make a round discharging outward. Then turn around discharging back inward. This works for a non mulching mower. I've NEVER EVER collected leaves but will gladly accept the bags of them from fools that do.

Ralph

Why are people who collect leaves "fools"? Just because someone does something different than you doesn't make them a "fool".

/ Leaf Collection Options? #14  
Just trying to see if I have any good options for collecting leaves, given what I have which is a L2501 and a ZTR (Ferris 2100 61" deck). The tractor has no mower (well a flail) but obviously a pto. I suppose the ZTR deck could accept some kind of towed behind powered collection system but as I recall it is not rated to pull much weight and I wouldn't want to overwork the transmission in it. I have a lot of leaves and plenty of woods to dump them in.

If you get a tow behind unit the biggest problem you will run into is your 61" deck. The 61" deck usually puts out more than the hose can take and you have to take "bites". We have a Trac-Vac, I hooked it to our ZT with a 54" deck and spent more time unclogging the hose than I did actually getting leaves up. A friend gave me an old Cub Cadet with a 32" deck and in 2 years I've only had to unclog the hose a couple times dues to the leaves being to wet. We have 3 large willow oaks in our yard and leaves are a pain.

Before the Trac-Vac I would mow the leaves into piles then rake them on a tarp and drag them to the woods.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

/ Leaf Collection Options? #15  
I have 2 of the Agri-Fab Vacs, and wouldn't be without them. I mainly use them to collect the grass I mow on the yard, to use as mulch around plants in the garden. I also use leaves a neighbor who has a lawn service brings me. I put the grass over top of the leaves, to make an even finer mulch, which very few weeds can grow through.

I bought a 12 hp Cub Cadet cheap, and dedicated it to the Vac, as I use it weekly, and the little Sears I now use in the garden for planting, and cultivating, until plants get big enough to mulch.

I bought a newer Vac this Spring, to sort of upgrade from the one pictured. It looked to be in decent shape, and the engine fired right up. Although was disappointed the Briggs Intek engine only lasted one pass of collecting grass, due to an apparent broken piston ring, gouging the cylinder wall. I replaced it with an older Briggs L-Head (flat head) engine, and was back in business.

New one's will run you around $1400. The one in the picture I bought used for $200, and the one I got at the auction $140. You can pick up decent looking one's on Craigslist, or FB Market place, for $300-$500+ If buying used, I'd personally look for one with the older L-Head.

I've got 2 neighbor's who I'm going to pick up their leaves for them, for me to use on the garden. Great for them, because they don't have to deal with their leaves, and I'm getting cheap mulch.

Attachments

• DSC02185.JPG
    DSC02185.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 109
   / Leaf Collection Options? #16  
I entertained getting a tow behind mulcher, but I don't have a need for the mulch. I also don't want the hassle of removing it from customers property on the 15 lawns I cut.
I incrementally mulch up and discharge leaves with Gator mulching blades and a chute cover. If the leaves come down fast, or I get behind, I spread out the leaves with a blower so the mower deck doesn't just push the large piles around.
If I had to collect leaves I would likely outfit my smaller ZT mower with a tow behind collector. If money were no object I would but a 5' collection flail mower for my tractor. Those things are awesome.

/ Leaf Collection Options? #17  
My preference would be installing a mulch kit on your Ferris. I installed one on my Snapper Pro 52". It chops up the leaves and I am done with them. When I bought my Mother a Toro Timecutter, I had a mulch kit installed. I think it actually does a better job than my Snapper.

I run the mulch kit year round on both mowers. They don't blow grass everywhere, you can approach something close from either side and they leave a nice finish on the lawn.....My :2cents:

/ Leaf Collection Options? #18  
A delicate leave like a maple are easy to much up. A tough leave like an oak doesn稚 mulch good. When there痴 a bunch of them it痴 impossible.

Oh, I'll see your "tough" oak leaves, and raise you a sycamore forest! You haven't dealt with a "tough" leaf until you deal with sycamores!

And yes, I mulch them all, no problem. A commercial ZTR, some G6 gators, and seat time into December. :)

/ Leaf Collection Options? #19  
Oh, I'll see your "tough" oak leaves, and raise you a sycamore forest! You haven't dealt with a "tough" leaf until you deal with sycamores!

And yes, I mulch them all, no problem. A commercial ZTR, some G6 gators, and seat time into December. :)

Funny, but true. I have 6 or so sycamore trees, and the leaves are certainly "robust".