Leaf Collection Options?

/ Leaf Collection Options? #1  

Milo

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 3520, Ferris Z2100, Kawasaki Mule Pro MX, Honda Pioneer 520
Just trying to see if I have any good options for collecting leaves, given what I have which is a L2501 and a ZTR (Ferris 2100 61" deck). The tractor has no mower (well a flail) but obviously a pto. I suppose the ZTR deck could accept some kind of towed behind powered collection system but as I recall it is not rated to pull much weight and I wouldn't want to overwork the transmission in it. I have a lot of leaves and plenty of woods to dump them in.

/ Leaf Collection Options? #2  
Lots of people use the Cyclone Rake or TracVac or similar behind zero turns with no problems. Unless you have big hills, I wouldn't worry about the transmission. Regular lawn tractors handle them fine.

/ Leaf Collection Options? #3  
Why collect leaves? Just grind them up in place with a lawn mower. Best is a mulching mower but a non mulcher can be used by just discharging inward on a decreasing surround until the engine cannot take it any more. Then make a round discharging outward. Then turn around discharging back inward. This works for a non mulching mower. I've NEVER EVER collected leaves but will gladly accept the bags of them from fools that do.

Ralph

/ Leaf Collection Options? #4  
Being on the crest of a hill has both advantages and disadvantages. One is that by Spring, Mom has either blown them all away down into the fields or neatly tucked them under bushes and shrubs for me. Amazing what she can do with her big bright light to dry everything and her 30-40MPH winds.

/ Leaf Collection Options? #5  
I don't know about the transmission capability, but the Kubota doesn't have a MMM. Thus the Cyclone Rake wouldn't fit. As to mulching leaves, some of us have leaves that pile up a foot deep and would be forever getting mulched by driving over and over....maybe even smothering the turf. One can try to stay up with the leaves (mulching) as they fall, but that isn't possible sometimes..... due to rain or other commitments.

/ Leaf Collection Options?
Lots of people use the Cyclone Rake or TracVac or similar behind zero turns with no problems. Unless you have big hills, I wouldn't worry about the transmission. Regular lawn tractors handle them fine.

Thanks Kenny, I just contacted both Cyclone and Ferris asking there thoughts on pulling a tow behind vac. You're right though there are many who pull these units with basic lawn and small garden tractors. The ones that attach to the back with 2-3 bag capacity wouldn't be worth the effort for me.

Why collect leaves? Just grind them up in place with a lawn mower. Best is a mulching mower but a non mulcher can be used by just discharging inward on a decreasing surround until the engine cannot take it any more. Then make a round discharging outward. Then turn around discharging back inward. This works for a non mulching mower. I've NEVER EVER collected leaves but will gladly accept the bags of them from fools that do.

Ralph

Ralph maybe some clarification. Other properties I've had I simply mulched and or blew them to the edge. What I'm dealing with now is more than can be mulched. The vast majority of my current property is woods with some pastures which is not an issue. But I have some cleared areas with a lot of tall trees that I want to keep open with grass rather than mud. The issue is there are a *lot* of leaves and when I mulch them they are are so thick it chokes out the grasses and the next Spring I just end up with some briars and mud. I mow these sections only a few times a year but come Fall I want to collect all the leaves, which I'll simply dump in the woods.

/ Leaf Collection Options? #7  
I have a tow behind vac, and unless its attached to mower deck and mower deck is spinning up, they don't pick up anything.... Mow deck has to lift the leaves and grass and then vac will suck them in, without mow deck running it does nothing...... But now with using vac I have piles of leaves to deal with.... I think mulching them is better if you can...

71-25012_0_600.jpg

My JD L120 handles it well,.... Its great for just cutting grass, but just mulching has about same results....

Dale

/ Leaf Collection Options? #8  
I have a large agrifab tow behind hooked to a gear drive riding mower, I wouldn’t be without it. It usually takes me a couple days to get all my leaves vacuumed up with it, no way I could even think of mulching them.

/ Leaf Collection Options? #9  

Ralph

A delicate leave like a maple are easy to much up. A tough leave like an oak doesn’t mulch good. When there’s a bunch of them it’s impossible.

/ Leaf Collection Options? #10  
Whoopy Do & a double Ya Hoo. This year - no raking of the pine needles. They all fell with no wind to blow them out onto the lawns. Pine needles can be a real ***** to rake.