I can't believe they did it !

/ I can't believe they did it ! #251  
So why does that 1% run the show, bully the others and make everyone look bad? Something not quite right there. I mean, that wouldn't happen with pilots or engineers, or pretty much any other profession. But that it seems to happen in Law Enforcement, where you might think, members are most interested in upholding the law, is a real head scratcher.

/ I can't believe they did it ! #252  
If the real number was 1% we wouldn't be having this conversation...

/ I can't believe they did it ! #253  
So, just throwing numbers out there. So 20% could be bad and run the show, bully the others and make everyone look bad? And the other 80% allow it?

/ I can't believe they did it ! #254  
What makes you think the bad cops "run the show" and are allowed to bully other cops?

1 bad person makes any group look bad, it's like saying just because a couple security system installers sell info to thieves so they can break into places they did installs. Then all security system installers must be crooks and can't be trusted.
So, just throwing numbers out there. So 20% could be bad and run the show, bully the others and make everyone look bad? And the other 80% allow it?

/ I can't believe they did it ! #255  
Maybe you guys are right, they’re all corrupt jerks who are only in it for power, and all of the money they can steal. :stirthepot:

/ I can't believe they did it ! #256  
I have read about, watched and personally witnessed many LEO's do the wrong things.... Any confidence I have in any of them has to be earned, they are all suspect until then.. You know, just like when they make contact with you, they don't know you so how can they trust you, I don't know them so how I can I trust them, it goes both ways..

/ I can't believe they did it ! #257  
The cops certainly have a universal Image problem supposedly caused by the "few" bad apples. And they, in law enforcment" can't correct that internally (???) or don't want to (???). Which one is it? THAT in my books makes them ALL bad!

And yes, the Security profession is mostly a sham! Mostly all about recurring revenue. I have been in the business thirty years, never spent a dollar on advertising, never got rich, but made out alright as far as having had a job in that time.

/ I can't believe they did it ! #258  
The cops certainly have a universal Image problem supposedly caused by the "few" bad apples. And they, in law enforcment" can't correct that internally (???) or don't want to (???). Which one is it? THAT in my books makes them ALL bad!

And yes, the Security profession is mostly a sham! Mostly all about recurring revenue. I have been in the business thirty years, never spent a dollar on advertising, never got rich, but made out alright as far as having had a job in that time.
So that makes you a crook and shyster then?

And who is giving them the bad image? Media coverage seems to have shifted more to negative coverage, the most vocal people are typically those with bad experiences whether legitimate or not.
Nobody likes being told to do something or told to not do something, which is a large portion of law enforcement so automatically they don't have a large fan base.

And as you stated, it's an "image" problem (to some), image and reality don't always coincide.
Just remember, every drunk driver has only has 2 drinks, the person that pulls a weapon and tries to attack a cop and gets shot/killed was always a "good person" etc.

/ I can't believe they did it ! #259  
And who is giving them the bad image? Media coverage seems to have shifted more to negative coverage, the most vocal people are typically those with bad experiences whether legitimate or not.

Technology is giving them a bad image. Thats why smarter departments are using body cameras.

When a LEO says he was shooting in self defense and the video (from a third party) shows the perp running away, well, no real good way to spin it.

That said, even punching a woman out won't make your department look good..

$1.5 million payout for woman beaten by California cop - CNN

Just pick a video (the next one is age appropriate due to the languge).

Baltimore police officer resigns after being filmed beating man - YouTube

I'd be surprised if LEO departments are going over exactly what you should and should NOT due to the availabilty of cell phones. Thing is, EVERYONE now has a video recorder on thier phone now for the most part.

I guess on a plus note, it just dosen't happen in the US

Cop fired for beating Dalit woman - YouTube

/ I can't believe they did it ! #260  

I think you would need to break it down a little more. State police force, big city, smaller city right down to the small town and then take into account each departments leadership to make any sense of the varied opinions we are seeing here.

As for how? Just watch in a restraint with poor quality service or food. People of all walks of life just keep thier mouth shut and bear it without uttering a word. When someone does half those who stayed quiet think the person who states the service is bad or the food terrible say that he or she is rude. The other half just stay quiet again. This happens in all kinds of jobs and walks of life.
With the police departments most people don’t have a clue they can do something about a rude or overly aggressive police officer and fellow officers just steer clear of them unless they are forced to deal with them especially if they have a higher rank.

Years ago Local cop tried to intimidate and threaten me. His partner stood silent and turned his back to the situation. When my attorney and myself walked into the station the next day I found out the higher ranking officer was the aggressive one and the other guy was just trying to avoid the confrontation that would ensue had he tried to intervene. He was actually a very nice respectable man otherwise but not having the gumption to stand up to improper behavior as it happened wasn’t going to keep my respect or have my complaint filed in a favorable manner on his behalf. He did however tell the truth in his written statement but he still has a ways to go to earn my respect after his initial actions.