Deer season

/ Deer season #101  
Lots of good pictures. Rifle season opens for us this Saturday, but so far, my wife hasn't gotten her hunting license for this year, so it might just be me out there.

/ Deer season #102  
I'll try to head to my lease in Central TX on Monday (prior commitments for this weekend). I put a camera out about 2 months ago, but I've been so busy, I haven't been able to pull the card and see what's coming in. Last year I had a great 10 point that needed a little more age, so I passed on him. Hopefully he comes around again this year. Better yet, maybe I can let him make it through one more rut, before someone takes him. I'm mainly a meat hunter, so I usually try to take a cull buck early in the season before the rut and fill out the rest of my tags with does. I leave the nice bucks to one of the members kids or a new hunter, preferably post-rut. My county allows 5 deer with a 2 buck limit.

I'm shooting a new .260Rem this year.

/ Deer season #103  
I'll try to head to my lease in Central TX on Monday (prior commitments for this weekend). I put a camera out about 2 months ago, but I've been so busy, I haven't been able to pull the card and see what's coming in. Last year I had a great 10 point that needed a little more age, so I passed on him. Hopefully he comes around again this year. Better yet, maybe I can let him make it through one more rut, before someone takes him. I'm mainly a meat hunter, so I usually try to take a cull buck early in the season before the rut and fill out the rest of my tags with does. I leave the nice bucks to one of the members kids or a new hunter, preferably post-rut. My county allows 5 deer with a 2 buck limit.

I'm shooting a new .260Rem this year.

Me and my 7mm-08 are looking forward to the rifle season opener this Saturday on the "back 30". Always a few nice bucks at the protein feeder every September / October. Some years one adopts our land as part of his home range to chase does, some years it's just a few younger bucks.

/ Deer season #104  
Looking at my latest game camera pics, I'm counting at least 5 does and just as many bucks all of a sudden. They does are eating what I've planted, and the bucks seem to be running around, back and forth. This is new behavior, which I'm thinking means the rut is starting to happen. Usually deer season starts the second weekend of November, but for some reason it's a week early this year.

STC_0072.JPG

STC_0092.JPG

STC_0206.JPG

STC_0049.JPG

/ Deer season
Bucks are thick this year. Opening day of muzzle loader in the morning.

IMG_2826.jpg
IMG_2827.jpg
IMG_2828.jpg
IMG_2830.jpg
IMG_2831.jpg
IMG_2834.jpgIMG_2832.jpg
IMG_2835.jpg
IMG_2836.jpg
IMG_2837.jpg
IMG_2838.jpg
IMG_2840.jpg

/ Deer season #107  
I think the deer are winning here, so far, this year. No snow to do any tracking and I've heard no shots. Two weeks ago a fellow got a nice elk about five miles SE of me. Those pictures of your deer - nice looking animals. They sure do like your feeding areas.

Around these parts it's one deer per person per year. Whether you are bow or muzzle or modern. You folks must be overrun with deer.

/ Deer season
We get two buck tags, I just punched my second. Been hunting 3 times this year. So blessed.
IMG_2773.jpg
IMG_2255.jpg
IMG_2875.jpg

/ Deer season
Love seeing all your pics of great bucks. You really live in an amazing place!!!

We’re so blessed to have somewhere to hunt. They have built so many houses around here. This isn’t the biggest one on camera but my wife hasn’t gotten anything this year and I hope she can get one or two of the big ones.

IMG_2898.jpg
IMG_2899.jpg