I Still Hate My Tractor II

/ I Still Hate My Tractor II #491  
I’ve been following this series of posts for a while. My question is why is this tractor sitting in your garage. You thought it was under powered, added a turbo, lunched the engine, put it back, lunched it again. At this point the thing could fart gold coins and would you be happy with it?

/ I Still Hate My Tractor II #492  
Yea, but when their broke they have to be fixed before you can trade em off,
I'm guessing and hoping that when he puts her back together the turbo goes back on.

/ I Still Hate My Tractor II #493  
Did you ever determine the root cause of the second failure, since this was run without the turbo? I can understand the aftermarket pistons not working with the turbo, but don't understand why they failed when normally aspirated?

/ I Still Hate My Tractor II
Did you ever determine the root cause of the second failure, since this was run without the turbo? I can understand the aftermarket pistons not working with the turbo, but don't understand why they failed when normally aspirated?

I heated the aftermarket set and they didn't grow anymore than the original ones. I have no idea what happened, my gut tells me cheap pistons to start with stating that the anti-scuff coating came off in 3 hours and was in the bottom of the oil pan.

Also after removing the aftermarket set you can hold any of the 4 of them sideways and the wristpin falls out of each one just from gravity. After the first piston replacement the engine had a slight tick only after loading it pretty good. I am thinking wristpin noise after warmup.

Kubota engine dealer also told me same timing 17 BTDC for both turbo and non turbo.

Crank is in the lathe and is straight, still have to check rods for straightness.

Block is at the machine shop this morning awaiting a hoe down.:crossfingers:

I'll take my lumps and move on.

/ I Still Hate My Tractor II #495  
As you always do Fred.

Thanks for the updates!!!

/ I Still Hate My Tractor II #496  
I heated the aftermarket set and they didn't grow anymore than the original ones. I have no idea what happened, my gut tells me cheap pistons to start with stating that the anti-scuff coating came off in 3 hours and was in the bottom of the oil pan.

Also after removing the aftermarket set you can hold any of the 4 of them sideways and the wristpin falls out of each one just from gravity. After the first piston replacement the engine had a slight tick only after loading it pretty good. I am thinking wristpin noise after warmup.

Kubota engine dealer also told me same timing 17 BTDC for both turbo and non turbo.

Crank is in the lathe and is straight, still have to check rods for straightness.

Block is at the machine shop this morning awaiting a hoe down.:crossfingers:

I'll take my lumps and move on.

Thanks for posting. The second failure doesn't make much sense unless the alloy is way off in material composition.

It sound like you have the basis covered and in these situations I like to take the time to ensure the oil galleries are clean and free of any restrictions to make certain the trash from the failures aren't in there or contributed to the second failure.

Couldn't find any rebuild kits listed on the engine suppliers website, so was curious what all the kit came with.

Kit comes with every gasket except the injection pump shim for the timing. Also has glow plug seals, valve seals, crank seals, every bearing for the crank and rods and wristpins. All 4 pistons with wristpins and rings, circlips. No bearings for the balance shafts.

You won't find it on any website and the box doesn't have a Kubota number that makes any sense.

So inside the box is 4 piston boxes, a bag with the crank bearings, an upper gasket kit and lower gasket kit.

Trust me when I tell you you won't need to look up any single gasket or seal because they are all there.

Apparently they haven't offered these complete kits for that long but surely I stand corrected by someone more in the know then myself.

My bearings look brand new as and I attribute that to regular oil changes with European spec 5W-40 synthetic.

The price of 4 pistons and the head gasket and 3 simple seals I needed were well over the $1300 bux I paid from an engine dealer for the complete kit, most of which will go in the trash.

Last edited:
   / I Still Hate My Tractor II #498  
Thanks for the update!

Anxious to hear how the assembly and startup go.

Any thoughts of putting a pyrometer in the exhaust manifold to see where the temps are running when engine is being taxed?

Thanks for the update!

Anxious to hear how the assembly and startup go.

Any thoughts of putting a pyrometer in the exhaust manifold to see where the temps are running when engine is being taxed?

I never thought even once that the combustion temps were too hot so I didn't bother.

I'd rather see a pressure sensor in each cylinder to see the differences with and without the turbo.

At the engine shop this morning the guys were showing me their 2 dynos. One engine and the other chassis.

I doubt this little engine would even be able to spin the engine dyno.

/ I Still Hate My Tractor II #500  
Sounds like you have a solution, are you planning on changing your intake to feed in the center? or did you already do that when putting the turbo on?