Let's talk driveway material. Just under 1/2 mile long.

/ Let's talk driveway material. Just under 1/2 mile long. #1  

MGH PA

Gold Member
Tractor
2005 Gravely 148Z 48" ZTR
We finished building our home this winter (we're moved in and working on various finish items). However, the driveway will need finished this spring/summer so I want to start planning out my options.

The driveway was built almost a year ago. We had a significant amount of shale brought in (went down about 12" below grade and built up). It's held up to the heavy truck traffic well, but it needs a final grade and then finish material or even a mid layer (depends on what everyone recommends).

The driveway grade is gentle, and fairly flat. No pipes were placed based on the recommendation of the excavator since it's not really steep or against a hillside.

Here's what it looked liked when it was being built:

IMG_20190105_163558.jpg

IMG_20190105_163605-01.jpeg

Here is a shot of it after most of the construction was finished (excuse the flamingo...it was a joke).

IMG_20191006_102906.jpg

I'm looking to do this right, and do it with the idea that I want to be able maintain a great looking road with some annual maintenance and that's it. I have access to a 40hp tractor on the property (my dads) and a rear blade/loader for maintenance, but may purchase a box blade.

I hear mixed reviews on everything. Some people swear by crusher run, some say to use asphalt left overs, crushed concrete, etc. I do know I have no plans for 2b even though that's what everyone around here uses. It's like marbles and just rolls off the sides. It seems to always need to be top coated as well every year or so and I want to avoid that on a 1/2 mile driveway.

So starting with my compacted shale base, what is everyone's recommendations from here out?

Thanks.

/ Let's talk driveway material. Just under 1/2 mile long. #2  
I get 3/4 dense grade road base, Might be the same as crusher run

/ Let's talk driveway material. Just under 1/2 mile long. #3  
Yep...crusher run will pack nice on that shale base and hold up a long time if run off isn't an issue.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / Let's talk driveway material. Just under 1/2 mile long. #4  
Just re-coated the stone in our driveway, it was first done 26 years ago, held up very well. We used what they call out here 1 inch minus road base . It is crushed, the biggest being one inch, going all the way down to stone dust. It packs really well, interlocking to itself. Gets as hard as concrete. Whatever you do, do not use any rounded gravel.... you are correct, it is like driving on marbles. Our neighbor put that in his drive about 7 years ago... it is still loose and most of it is on the sides and middle.

Attachments

• 9A2B6B0A-B3E8-4953-A9EC-A600FC84E1A7.jpeg
    9A2B6B0A-B3E8-4953-A9EC-A600FC84E1A7.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 201
  • A8C20E97-2D68-43E5-A5C4-111AB2BB7DE4.jpeg
    A8C20E97-2D68-43E5-A5C4-111AB2BB7DE4.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 181
   / Let's talk driveway material. Just under 1/2 mile long. #5  
I've used both limestone and crushed concrete for my driveway and the crushed concrete is night and day better then limestone. Limestone breaks down, it's a soft stone. I don't have any experience with shale, but if it's a soft stone, it will wear out over time. Concrete seems to hold up with heavy traffic without any sign of wear or need of maintenance. Just like limestone road base, it crushed to a variety of individual sizes, including fines, and once compacted, it's solid!!!

/ Let's talk driveway material. Just under 1/2 mile long. #6  
My preference would be 1 1/4" minus crushed rock. fills in nicely and packs down nicely. a bonus would be to top it off in a year or so with 5/8 minus.

/ Let's talk driveway material. Just under 1/2 mile long. #7  
Re cycled asphalt would be my choice.

In my area it is even cheaper than crushed stone and has the advantage of re gluing itself under hot sun and then sheds water.
Eliminates the need for annual grading as well.

/ Let's talk driveway material. Just under 1/2 mile long. #8  
Crusher run works great around here. I have been real happy with it. Only time it gets dusty is when we have a long drought (3-4 weeks or more of no rain, which is rare). Otherwise we generally get enough rain to keep it from getting dusty.

/ Let's talk driveway material. Just under 1/2 mile long. #9  
Why not wait till it really needs some work. What you have should hold up for more than a few years.

/ Let's talk driveway material. Just under 1/2 mile long. #10  
That's what I was thinking, Egon. It looks good the way it is. Half a mile of whatever is going to be pretty darn expensive. To the OP - get a price on half a mile by 20 feet wide by 4" thick. Plus the cost of spread and compacted. Then make your decision.