Buying Advice John Deere compared to Kubota

/ John Deere compared to Kubota #171  
The reason is the law, ownership of farms has been regulated so it has been almost impossible to sell it outside the family, bloodline gave you absolute rights, to day it's limited to children and grandchildren, untill in the seventies it was only males that had the right.

This law is in the constitution and has roots back to the viking age so it's over 1000 years old.

/ John Deere compared to Kubota #172  
SNIP -

Most hobby tractors are older and larger, if we talking new tractors almost all sales are in the 75hp and larger with exception of Lovol, but Lovol is a strict hobby tractor.

I do believe this is much the same in all Scandinavia and Finland.

Lovols success is a result of the used market is running dry, the prices are high but lower than rest of Europe and Africa so a lot of tractors go to export, Ford, Fiat and MF are sendt out, Zetor is becoming rare because for almost all are returned to the east.

The US is a very different market, you have a lot of land so getting a small farm or homestead seems quite accessible, here it's difficult to find and very expensive. Moste of Europe is densely populated so properties are small and as in Norway small farms probably are kept in the family, my small farm has been in the family since 1650 - 1700.

That's real interesting... the differences in how rural land is used in different counties.... Looking at the Lovol/Foton website, all of their tractors seem substantially larger and heavier than our US hobby size. Do I understand you correctly that many of your older used tractors are being exported and replaced with newer ones? Is there actually a market for that? In the US we have a lot of older machinery just lying around. In rural areas old machinery is sometimes collected into huge heaps of retired implements or left to weather in the fields.

I haven't heard of any move to export our retired machinery to other countries. While it is true that much of the older equipment could be made workable again, but there is little interest in doing so.
Along with the waning interest in older machinery, the mechanical skills necessary to keep older machinery running - skills once common to the rural population - are rapidly vanishing from our culture. Ultimately the old machinery seems destined to go into landfills or to be sold as scrap metal.
rScotty

/ John Deere compared to Kubota #174  
The reason is the law, ownership of farms has been regulated so it has been almost impossible to sell it outside the family, bloodline gave you absolute rights, to day it's limited to children and grandchildren, untill in the seventies it was only males that had the right.

This law is in the constitution and has roots back to the viking age so it's over 1000 years old.

Americans have little understanding of such things. The European Settlers of this continent took the land by force. We have very little understanding or compassion for bloodline or heritage.

I am very rural and Agricultural. My good friend is a very larger farmer, 20K acres tillable. He's 3rd Generation.

/ John Deere compared to Kubota #175  
That's real interesting... the differences in how rural land is used in different counties.... Looking at the Lovol/Foton website, all of their tractors seem substantially larger and heavier than our US hobby size. Do I understand you correctly that many of your older used tractors are being exported and replaced with newer ones? Is there actually a market for that? In the US we have a lot of older machinery just lying around. In rural areas old machinery is sometimes collected into huge heaps of retired implements or left to weather in the fields.

I haven't heard of any move to export our retired machinery to other countries. While it is true that much of the older equipment could be made workable again, but there is little interest in doing so.
Along with the waning interest in older machinery, the mechanical skills necessary to keep older machinery running - skills once common to the rural population - are rapidly vanishing from our culture. Ultimately the old machinery seems destined to go into landfills or to be sold as scrap metal.
rScotty

I think this is because the size of our farms has changed dramatically. No one has a use for a combine with a 10ft header or a 10ft wheat drill. Very little heavy tillage done anymore so that equipment is obsolete by design.

As Agvg has pointed out many times, farm size is so much different in the European and Scandinavian countries.

/ John Deere compared to Kubota #176  
A lot of older MF and Fords in bad shape ends up in Africa and Asia, combines and bailers are going to East Europe, the same with other implements. Old japanese vans and pickups are very attractive for export to Africa, and the pay is quit good for all those cars and equipment. Old VW T3 vans go to South Africa, some French vans go to French Africa and so on.

/ John Deere compared to Kubota #177  
A lot of older MF and Fords in bad shape ends up in Africa and Asia, combines and bailers are going to East Europe, the same with other implements. Old japanese vans and pickups are very attractive for export to Africa, and the pay is quit good for all those cars and equipment. Old VW T3 vans go to South Africa, some French vans go to French Africa and so on.

Iraq and Afghanistan have a LOT of old MF equipment in use.

/ John Deere compared to Kubota #178  
A lot of the larger trucks goes on export, the dealers doesn't bother to sell them locally, larger construction equipment is the same, very hard to sell as companies don't hire in older machines.

/ John Deere compared to Kubota #179  
Americans have little understanding of such things. The European Settlers of this continent took the land by force. We have very little understanding or compassion for bloodline or heritage.

I am very rural and Agricultural. My good friend is a very larger farmer, 20K acres tillable. He's 3rd Generation.
Yes, the US is young, if I go to church where I have my farm the church was taken in use in year 1200.

In the neighbor county they have this viking inspired church form 1180 built with wood. Vangen_kirke%2C_Aurland%2C_exterior%2C_July_2009-4.jpg250px-Borgundstavkirke.jpg

/ John Deere compared to Kubota #180  
Hmm, is this off topic enough? ;)