Buying Advice John Deere compared to Kubota

/ John Deere compared to Kubota #151  
There's a reason for that, and it's because these are the best two tractor brands on the market.

I have a wonderful Kubota L48 TLB, but I do also love my little 1989 Ford 1920 FEL

/ John Deere compared to Kubota #152  
Have you ever listened to some country songs?
John Doe and a John Deere.
John Deere Green.
Like a John Deere.

Or Kabota;
~恋の雨~ (松尾潔リミックス)
朝陽の中で微笑んで

I made my decision :laughing::laughing:

Now that is just funny right there! :laughing: But it's true Lol....

/ John Deere compared to Kubota #154  
This old thread was recently revived, and I can't help but wonder how the tractors from 6 years ago compare to what's being made now.

I also didn't see any mention of how the tractors are made. On my L3240 Kubota, the LA724 FEL pivots were worn when I bought it used, and no bushings were in any of the pivots. I ended up cutting the loader arms apart so I could get them into a mill to bore out the oval holes. Then I turned bushings and installed new pins, and welded everything back together. Major PITA caused by Kubota cutting corners to save a few bux.

The mounts for that same FEL were broken when I got the tractor, and my two attempts to repair them weren't successful. I found other threads on TBN from people with the same issue, so I had a talk with my dealer. He was reluctant to do anything seeing as how the tractor was out of warranty. I showed him the other threads where Kubota admitted there was a design issue, and he was able to get new parts for me but I had to pay something like seven hundred dollars for shipping. The regional service manager he was working with swore up and down there was no design issue, but when the new parts arrived they had been redesigned and the changes were obvious. I was pretty put off by the whole experience, by the lack of help from the local and regional Kubota people, by their implications that I'd somehow mistreated the tractor, and the outright lies they told to cover their butts.

This is exactly why I don't like Kubota and will never have one! They simply don't stand behind their products when there is a problem. They instead lie and blame the customer instead of taking ownership and responsibility for their mistakes and poor designs. There is a reason why Deere's have better resale value and are the gold standard in CUTS.

On the other hand, the people in the dealer's shop have been very helpful, showing me exploded parts diagrams and talking me through repairs. I had to split the thing during my first year of ownership to replace a propeller shaft seal (another seemingly common problem with the Ls), and the shop's help was invaluable. That said, the new seal had also been redesigned, an indication, at least to me, that there was another design issue that Kubota wasn't owning up to.

As others have mentioned, the three point on the Kubota is very jerky, and the little set screw thing in the lever slot doesn't do a very good job of bringing the arms to the same position every time. The bracing used to keep the arms from swaying also isn't very strong and it bends easily when pushing dirt backwards with a box blade.

I've also had problems with castings breaking in the front hubs on the Kubota. They just can't seem to take much side hilling. My property is pretty steep, and it's easy to find 20 degree (thats degree, not percent) slopes. The little 32 HP engine has to work pretty hard to keep a 60" rotary or flail mower going up those slopes, and I often have to ease off on the go pedal to maintain engine RPMs. The L3240 is also pretty tippy, even with the tires loaded and the rears set to the widest stance. And the tractor doesn't even have a cab.

I'm not saying these things just to run down Kubota, as they're just my experiences with one tractor at one dealership. I do feel I know a bit more about what to look for in a tractor now, and if I ever feel a need to replace the one I've got, I'll be looking at other colors before coming to a decision on what to buy. And things like bushings and heavy sections for mounts and three points are going to have a big bearing on what I end up with. I think my neighbor, who has a comparably sized John Deer, put it best: These little tractors are good at maintaining stuff, but if you want to build stuff, you need a real backhoe.

/ John Deere compared to Kubota #155  
If someone breaks their loader, I'd want to know if they used it beyond loading manure into a spreader or loading hay bales, like maybe "EARTH MOVING". Make it stronger and the next guy will just abuse it, even more.

/ John Deere compared to Kubota #156  
There's a reason for that, and it's because these are the best two tractor brands on the market.
If you say so.
For years I owned a John Deere 850. My dad owns 2 Kubota's (L3000 and an L 4600)
All have been good machines, but my Kioti DK 35 has been every bit as well built/solid and reliable. (owned my DK 35 now for 19 years, 2242 hours)

Last edited:
   / John Deere compared to Kubota #157  
If someone breaks their loader, I'd want to know if they used it beyond loading manure into a spreader or loading hay bales, like maybe "EARTH MOVING". Make it stronger and the next guy will just abuse it, even more.
If a loader can't handle some earth moving mine should have broken years ago.
I spent 7 hours just last weekend ripping out dozens of 8' to 15' tall pine trees with my loader. Handled them with no problem.

/ John Deere compared to Kubota #158  
Lots of people post one personal experience and generalize that to the entire brand. Not the case.

Deere makes excellent large tractors. Once you get down into the compact and sub compact machines, you pay more and get less. I find Kubota to be more refined and better quality, but of course, that痴 only my personal experience

/ John Deere compared to Kubota #159  
Lots of people post one personal experience and generalize that to the entire brand. Not the case.

Deere makes excellent large tractors. Once you get down into the compact and sub compact machines, you pay more and get less. I find Kubota to be more refined and better quality, but of course, thatç—´ only my personal experience

That's well said. It's the same thing I've noticed, but you said it better.
rScotty

/ John Deere compared to Kubota #160  

Dismissing and ignoring peoples personal experiences doesn't change the facts about Kubota's shady track record either.