Hog damage

/ Hog damage #1  

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
Wild hogs seem to come and go here. Sometimes you don't see any sign of them for weeks at a time, other times, they are tearing up everything, everywhere. This happened overnight and it's pretty extensive. My neighbor said that in one weekend, he counted over 300 on his 240 acres. I've never seen a group larger then 27 myself.

When I first moved here, I was excited about hunting them, but now it's just an effort to try and keep them away so I can mow and take care of the land. They are good target practice, and we use the meat in the crock pot for dog food, but I haven't eaten one years. I like beef a lot more!!!

Eventually I will build my fence around my place and they can be my neighbors problem.

IMG_2844.JPG

/ Hog damage #2  
Yikes! I've seen some TV shows about overnight damage. Pretty impressive.

/ Hog damage #3  
Wild hogs seem to come and go here. Sometimes you don't see any sign of them for weeks at a time, other times, they are tearing up everything, everywhere. This happened overnight and it's pretty extensive. My neighbor said that in one weekend, he counted over 300 on his 240 acres. I've never seen a group larger then 27 myself.

When I first moved here, I was excited about hunting them, but now it's just an effort to try and keep them away so I can mow and take care of the land. They are good target practice, and we use the meat in the crock pot for dog food, but I haven't eaten one years. I like beef a lot more!!!

Eventually I will build my fence around my place and they can be my neighbors problem.

View attachment 643502

Still like your place Eddie . . .

/ Hog damage #4  
What are they digging up? If you get rid of the food source maybe they won't come back?

/ Hog damage #5  
they seem to come out more at night ... had them for a while maybe ten years ago, some went to the rifle, others to tractor pulling harrows, gradually they stayed out of the yard , lol

/ Hog damage #6  
I’ve read a lot about Night Vision and IR both on and off the rifle. Has that made it easier to control the population?

/ Hog damage #7  
Still like your place Eddie . . .

East Texas is a beautiful place; good people, good fishing, and good eatin'. Sharn Jean is from that neck of the woods, and we try to make it down that way at least once. Can't get along without my Pittsburg Hot links!

/ Hog damage #8  
What are they digging up? If you get rid of the food source maybe they won't come back?

Hogs eat anything; from rooting for grubs to the carrion after coyote kills. On my property last year I came across about two acres that looked like it had been plowed by the hogs rooting.

/ Hog damage #9  
If only I could talk the wife about relocating . . . :confused3: brother lives in SC . . . but kids live here in Oregon. I am more than ready ;).

/ Hog damage #10  
They are eating the toobers and roots of the grasses. They root up under oak trees for a acorns and will just randomly root looking for food. They eat anything so you can't eliminate everything!! I guess if you lived in a sand lot or bald clay hill.