Eggs are better then cash

/ Eggs are better then cash #1  

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
With people buying up some things in the stores, we've learned that our large supply of eggs puts us in a good position to trade with friends that have stuff that we want. Friday we traded 6 dozen eggs for 2 cases of wet dog food. Yesterday we traded 14 dozen eggs for 20 pounds of fresh, farm raised, pork chops, roasts and sausages. Today a friend of my wife brought over 5 pounds of ground venison and we gave them 10 dozen eggs. Tomorrow she is going to trade 6 dozen eggs for 25 pounds of flour.

We're getting over 4 dozen eggs a day from our chickens and we're using a dozen to a dozen and a half a day. Mostly we feed them to our dogs every day, and we only eat them a few times a week.

Fortunately we stock up on things when we buy and usually have quite a bit on hand for the basics, so we're not expecting any issues there. But fresh food, and good meat is harder to keep on hand and we normally only have a weeks worth, so the eggs have proven to be very useful at keeping us supplied with protein.

We also have quite a bit of canned veggies and frozen veggies from our garden last year. Sadly, we ran out of spaghetti sauce, and that's a huge disappointment for me since we haven't been able to find anything that we like as much at the store. We'll do better this year.

Just guessing, I think we still have around 30 dozen eggs in two refrigerators, so there will be plenty more opportunities to trade with them!!!

IMG_0233.JPG

/ Eggs are better then cash #2  
With people buying up some things in the stores, we've learned that our large supply of eggs puts us in a good position to trade with friends that have stuff that we want. Friday we traded 6 dozen eggs for 2 cases of wet dog food. Yesterday we traded 14 dozen eggs for 20 pounds of fresh, farm raised, pork chops, roasts and sausages. Today a friend of my wife brought over 5 pounds of ground venison and we gave them 10 dozen eggs. Tomorrow she is going to trade 6 dozen eggs for 25 pounds of flour.

We're getting over 4 dozen eggs a day from our chickens and we're using a dozen to a dozen and a half a day. Mostly we feed them to our dogs every day, and we only eat them a few times a week.

Fortunately we stock up on things when we buy and usually have quite a bit on hand for the basics, so we're not expecting any issues there. But fresh food, and good meat is harder to keep on hand and we normally only have a weeks worth, so the eggs have proven to be very useful at keeping us supplied with protein.

We also have quite a bit of canned veggies and frozen veggies from our garden last year. Sadly, we ran out of spaghetti sauce, and that's a huge disappointment for me since we haven't been able to find anything that we like as much at the store. We'll do better this year.

Just guessing, I think we still have around 30 dozen eggs in two refrigerators, so there will be plenty more opportunities to trade with them!!!

View attachment 646764

Feels good to trade with neighbors, doesn't it?

/ Eggs are better then cash #3  
Good deal Eddie . . . (I hate eggs) wife loves them. :laughing:

/ Eggs are better then cash #4  
I thought about getting some chickens, but eggs sell for about $1/dozen around here. It would take some time to justify a chicken house and fencing, etc. Maybe when the price of eggs go up.

/ Eggs are better then cash #5  
I thought about getting some chickens, but eggs sell for about $1/dozen around here. It would take some time to justify a chicken house and fencing, etc. Maybe when the price of eggs go up.

And bullets . . . for vermin. :laughing:

/ Eggs are better then cash #6  

Just guessing, ]!

View attachment 646764

Wife cans lots of veggies and love them. Try Aldis brand spaghetti brand sauce. I like that better than any other name brand sauce but home made came in a close second.

/ Eggs are better then cash #7  
Pretty eggs.....you are too far away for me to stop by to buy some. :hissyfit:

/ Eggs are better then cash #8  
Good deal Eddie - any deal that both parties are happy with is a good one!

/ Eggs are better then cash #9  

It's just a hobby and eggs are sold out around here so it's nice to have a few birds. We are down to 6 birds but more eggs than we can eat so we give them to neighbors.

/ Eggs are better then cash #10  
I agree with you, but right now you can't buy eggs hardly