Eggs are better then cash

/ Eggs are better then cash #21  
Thank you. I thought she was crazy wanting the different breeds for the different colored eggs, but that's really what sells our eggs. People that buy them, constantly compliment us on how nice the look and how good they taste. The taste is because they free range and get to eat a variety of quality natural food, the color is from the variety of breeds that we have.

So how about some picture of the ladies... :laughing:

What breeds do you have?

/ Eggs are better then cash #22  
With people buying up some things in the stores, we've learned that our large supply of eggs puts us in a good position to trade with friends that have stuff that we want. Friday we traded 6 dozen eggs for 2 cases of wet dog food. Yesterday we traded 14 dozen eggs for 20 pounds of fresh, farm raised, pork chops, roasts and sausages. Today a friend of my wife brought over 5 pounds of ground venison and we gave them 10 dozen eggs. Tomorrow she is going to trade 6 dozen eggs for 25 pounds of flour.

We're getting over 4 dozen eggs a day from our chickens and we're using a dozen to a dozen and a half a day. Mostly we feed them to our dogs every day, and we only eat them a few times a week.

Fortunately we stock up on things when we buy and usually have quite a bit on hand for the basics, so we're not expecting any issues there. But fresh food, and good meat is harder to keep on hand and we normally only have a weeks worth, so the eggs have proven to be very useful at keeping us supplied with protein.

We also have quite a bit of canned veggies and frozen veggies from our garden last year. Sadly, we ran out of spaghetti sauce, and that's a huge disappointment for me since we haven't been able to find anything that we like as much at the store. We'll do better this year.

Just guessing, I think we still have around 30 dozen eggs in two refrigerators, so there will be plenty more opportunities to trade with them!!!

View attachment 646764
That's crazy, when I can (and did a couple days ago) walk into Walmart and buy large eggs for $.48 a dozen. Everyone has them here for a buck or so a dozen, and yes they do have them in stock!

We grow are own tomatoes and make out own spaghetti sauce, it's just too easy to make, to buy it!

SR

/ Eggs are better then cash #23  
Eddie, with all the local online trading post links you might be able to advertise your need for home made sauce and find something that you like. Maybe even find one you like better than what you make.

/ Eggs are better then cash #25  
That's crazy, when I can (and did a couple days ago) walk into Walmart and buy large eggs for $.48 a dozen. Everyone has them here for a buck or so a dozen, and yes they do have them in stock!

A week or so ago, I found 2 Walmarts in my part of the country were completely out of eggs. Then they got in a stock of one size and brand only and I got a dozen. And more recently, they got some more of their "jumbo" eggs which is what I usually buy for 98 cents a dozen. Of course, having been an old farm boy I can tell you there's a big difference in the color and taste of the yolk depending on what the chickens have been eating. So I'd expect Eddie to get more than Walmart and have customers that liked the taste of his eggs more than Walmart's.

/ Eggs are better then cash #26  
Of course, having been an old farm boy I can tell you there's a big difference in the color and taste of the yolk depending on what the chickens have been eating. So I'd expect Eddie to get more than Walmart and have customers that liked the taste of his eggs more than Walmart's.

And that is exactly why neighbors are willing to trade high dollar meat for his "cheap" eggs. :cool:

/ Eggs are better then cash #27  
It may also be a case of establishing a trading connection. I would pay more for a neighbors eggs to get a relationship started, not knowing where things may lead.

Some say GOLD is the thing you want for security in difficult times, but I would put my money (or lack of it) on eggs.

/ Eggs are better then cash #28  
   / Eggs are better then cash #29  
It may also be a case of establishing a trading connection. I would pay more for a neighbors eggs to get a relationship started, not knowing where things may lead.

Some say GOLD is the thing you want for security in difficult times, but I would put my money (or lack of it) on eggs.

I think I would rather have Tony Beets looking for gold for me in the Yukon!
Lots of food available here on the farms in Florida.

/ Eggs are better then cash #30  
I can tell you there's a big difference in the color and taste of the yolk depending on what the chickens have been eating. So I'd expect Eddie to get more than Walmart and have customers that liked the taste of his eggs more than Walmart's.
FREE range eggs here sell for $1.50 to $2.00 a dozen, I use to trade veggies for them, until I found it didn't make one bit of difference to my wife or me, compared to cheaper eggs, and it's a LOT less work to buy them at 50 cents a doz...

I think, city folk just "think" they are getting something better, like the folks that THINK organic food is better, and that's from someone (me) that grows all organic. lol

SR