Tire expoded with Slime in it...

/ Tire expoded with Slime in it... #1  

old and tired

Veteran Member
Tractor
L2800 HST
Front tire of a Saber by John Deere, 42" 16hp lawn mower!

A little background... top off with air the tire about two weeks prior. We came up to the farm, the front tire was still good, not over inflated but needed to top off a rear tire. Wife cut the grass for a couple of hours and I was done with the stuff I needed to get done a few hours after that. As I walk by the lawn mower, I noticed the front tire, it was a bit overinflated since the sidewall cracks were really pronounce. Thought to myself, that's odd!!! Didn't think twice so had a good time with friends that night.

We all went to bed 11-ish and one guy that stayed in our camper wondered what the explosion was all about at 12:22 am. Woke him and his dog up, we all thought he was nuts until I went out the basement door and saw some green slime on my tractor (had no idea at the time Wft is this....) Anybody else seen this?? Only thing we could think of is that the Slime in the tire started to ferment!!! Slime was put into the tires, 10 years ago or so??? And yes, way more Slime than it called for (maybe 24 oz???) Blew a heck of a hole in the tire....

first tire.jpg

tire pop.jpg

Slime went every....

door slimed.jpg

Sprayed on the underside of deck and managed to get between the boards... (clamp to lift tire to change tire...)

slime of roof.jpg

Happy it would clean up with water!!! Now about a few weeks later the other tire is growing in size... (I moved it away from the house...)

Attachments

• P1120079.JPG
    P1120079.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 260
  • P1120073.JPG
    P1120073.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 262
Last edited:
   / Tire expoded with Slime in it... #2  
Maybe a lesson learned...
When a tire is cracked its time to replace it.

/ Tire expoded with Slime in it... #4  
Years ago some friends and I drove about 80 miles to go dirk bike riding at a track. We took two vehicles, one was a Civic pulling a small trailer with two bikes on it. The trailer has those very small tires on it. About an hour after we had been riding we stopped for lunch. While at the vehicles one of the trailer tires blew apart like that out of the blue. The tires seamed like they were in good shape, maybe 2 years old or so. I'm not sure if I would have believed it if I wasn't there.

/ Tire expoded with Slime in it... #5  
I've never seen/had a tire blow. A friend worked for Sea Land - Anchorage. They had a split rim semi tire blow. No slime but the split rim ring wiped out half of the tire repair shop. Several scared men - nobody hurt. I have slime in one front tire on my JD riding mower. But it is always stored in the carport - out of the sun. It's been in that tire for six years now and I've never seen it "balloon" up.

/ Tire expoded with Slime in it... #6  
I've never seen/had a tire blow. A friend worked for Sea Land - Anchorage. They had a split rim semi tire blow. No slime but the split rim ring wiped out half of the tire repair shop. Several scared men - nobody hurt. I have slime in one front tire on my JD riding mower. But it is always stored in the carport - out of the sun. It's been in that tire for six years now and I've never seen it "balloon" up.

It’s really shocking. Especially when you’re traveling 20MPH with 2 round bales on the loader across a field. :eek:
Sounds like a shotgun blast on steroids

/ Tire expoded with Slime in it... #7  
I was surprised the Slime looked that good after 10 years .��

/ Tire expoded with Slime in it... #8  
It’s hilarious. Reminds me of Ghostbusters from the 80s ;).

/ Tire expoded with Slime in it... #9  
I can understand. The excessively loud bang and then trying to control the situation. In the case of the semi truck tire blowing its split rim ring - they didn't have what he called a "safety cage". A "safety cage" - something to contain all the bits & pieces when/if this happens - ???

He said OSHA became involved in this also. I think the final solution was to take those few "split ring" tires to a local tire repair store. Like Les Schwab.

/ Tire expoded with Slime in it...
Maybe a lesson learned...
When a tire is cracked its time to replace it.
I was very impress at how well the tire held together. It didn't split the sidewall at all. Could easily have gone another 10 years on those tires.

tire.jpg

directions.jpg

So, the "new" tires are most likely older than the "originals"!!!! :D :D (oh, and they will need some slime too :banghead: )

donor tires.jpg

The other front tire is Growing - I moved it away from the house... :laughing: