Tire expoded with Slime in it...

/ Tire expoded with Slime in it... #21  
Looks like more trouble for me... some of the tires on the antiques are WWII vintage... surprising they hold up better than my new trailer rated tires.

It would be a world of hurt to replace tires on 50 vehicles just because they had 5 years on the clock.

One caveat is almost all have tubes and a second is I mount my own for the most part.

/ Tire expoded with Slime in it... #22  
Maybe a lesson learned...
When a tire is cracked its time to replace it.

Agree. However posting our mistakes helps others Lear not what to do.
World Wide Web posting felony property damage would probably be kinda stupid. :laughing:

/ Tire expoded with Slime in it... #23  
Agree. However posting our mistakes helps others Lear not what to do.
World Wide Web posting felony property damage would probably be kinda stupid. :laughing:

I gave my 1977 Ford F-250 4x4 to my son 25 years ago.
He bought new tires at that time (fancier looking stuff).
All this time he has used it locally (ATL) for very occasional 20 mile dump runs.
Good truck, has 75K original miles.
Fast forward to 2020:

Son decides he will drive F-250 to Massachusetts because he needs ATL garage space, and I can store the truck for him.
I tell him he must buy new tires (wheels also, because tires are not avail. for old wheels).
He says: "The tread is still perfect, and there is no visible sidewall cracking".
I plead with him to no avail!

Long story short: Left front tire blows out at interstate highway speed, after 200+ miles.
Left front fender gets all torn up, almost looses control, but miraculously no one is hurt.
This guy is a 54 year old Delta Airlines Capt., who I think should certainly know better!

He endangered his own life, his son's life, and other travelers on the highway.
What can I say?
INCREDIBLY STUPID,....but thankfully ....VERY LUCKY!

For the OP with 20 year old tires:
Junk them!
.........Before one or two blow out at highway speed, and you kill .... SOMEONE ELSE!

Last edited:
   / Tire expoded with Slime in it... #24  
I gave my 1977 Ford F-250 4x4 to my son 25 years ago.
He bought new tires at that time (fancier looking stuff).
All this time he has used it locally (ATL) for occasional dump runs.
Fast forward to 2020:

Son decides he will drive F-250 to Massachusetts because he needs ATL garage space, and I can store it for him.
I tell him he must buy new tires (wheels also, because tires are not avail. for old wheels).
He says: "The tread is still perfect, and there is no visible sidewall cracking".
I plead with him to no avail!

Long story short: Left front tire blows out at interstate highway speed, at 200+ miles.
Left front fender gets all torn up, almost looses control, but miraculously no one is hurt.
This guy is a 54 year old Delta Airlines Capt.

He endangered his own life, his son's life, and other travelers on the highway.
What can I say?
INCREDIBLY STUPID,....but thankfully ....VERY LUCKY!

For the OP with 20 year old tires:
Junk them:thumbsup:
.........Before one or two blow out at highway speed, and you kill .... SOMEONE ELSE!

I agree :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Old tires = nothing but trouble.

/ Tire expoded with Slime in it... #25  
I agree :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Old tires = nothing but trouble.

Not to be picky, but I would substitute the word "DANGER" for "trouble"!

/ Tire expoded with Slime in it... #26  
The $24.95 each Wards tires I bought new 45 years ago for my Model A pickup still in service... good enough for Home Depot runs and Veterans Day parades...

45 year old tires on a 90 year old truck... also 45 year old tubes...

Lest anyone think I go down the road with just anything, the tires for my work truck and daily drivers last about 5 years... not going to be heading out on a 2500 mile trip with questionable tires or skimp on hard working truck or trailer tires and no more $100 sets... more like $1200 for the truck.

As with many things age is only one factor.

Attachments

• 1931 Model A Ford on Treasure Island.jpg
    1931 Model A Ford on Treasure Island.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
   / Tire expoded with Slime in it... #27  
Once Slime is added stem must be at 12 o'clock and air injected to clear stem of Slime before checking pressure with hand held gauge. Easy to get low reading and over fill. Easier to use guage on fill hose.

/ Tire expoded with Slime in it... #28  
Excellent point and one I've seen over looked.