How do I find the hole?

/ How do I find the hole?
Dude once told me a story about that. No idea if it was true or not. Said they poured diesel in a rat/mouse hole in the ground and lit it off. Said it wasn't long before flaming rodents were exiting various other holes lighting grass fires as they ran.

/ How do I find the hole? #12  
Dude once told me a story about that. No idea if it was true or not. Said they poured diesel in a rat/mouse hole in the ground and lit it off. Said it wasn't long before flaming rodents were exiting various other holes lighting grass fires as they ran.

THAT would be a sight to see! They also scream when torched.

/ How do I find the hole? #13  
Based on the title, I didn't initially know what this thread was about. I must have a dirty mind, because I thought something inappropriate.

When the OP starts off with the suggestion to "trim around it," I was really starting to wonder.

/ How do I find the hole? #14  
You could go out there in a vehicle with the windows rolled up and sit in the area long enough to pinpoint the spot.

/ How do I find the hole? #15  
Exterminator uses Temp-as long as you get powder near hole the wasps will take it in with them.
Would not be good for flames to be shooting all over here, though would be entertaining.

Friend had a wasp nest in his grill, turned on gas with top closed and threw matches at it until-boom-top went flying high in the air (luckily not at anyone) along with bits of flying debris. :shocked:

Always amazed that any of us survived our teens...

/ How do I find the hole? #16  
If you do choose to pour gas in the hole and light it, do yourself a favor and wait several hours for the fumes to dissipate before lighting , gas fumes have caused lots of people to get themselves in trouble after lighting them to quickly.

/ How do I find the hole? #17  
If you do choose to pour gas in the hole and light it, do yourself a favor and wait several hours for the fumes to dissipate before lighting , gas fumes have caused lots of people to get themselves in trouble after lighting them to quickly.

IIRC, a TBN member posted a nasty picture of the burn damage to his face from a similar incident. I avoid lighting gasoline.

/ How do I find the hole? #18  
Triangulate the hole location with some broomsticks or boards in broad daylight. Just watch the grass from a distance and point the board at where they seem to be coming from. Then move 90 degrees to one side or the other and repeat. That should get you pretty close. Go out at night, crawl over to where the two board lines intersect, and there's the hole.

As for using gasoline, be sure to have someone recording video of the incident. You could make some money on AFV.

/ How do I find the hole? #19  
A short story - how NOT to do it. Many years ago I had a large -12" diameter - paper wasp nest in the carport. I thought about this for several day. So...... one night I stick a highway flare on the end of a 10' 2x2. Sneak up on the nest - light the flare - light the nest.

What a wild sight. Flaming Yellow Jackets trying to fly everywhere. Nest is burning like an incendiary bomb. HEY - WHAT THE H*LL - The roof of the carport is on fire!!! I got the garden hose strung and the fire out. There is still a very black, scorched spot on the far corner of the carport roof.

I was just most fortunate. The nest was not out in the buck brush. With my wild ****d idea - I would have started a wild fire.

/ How do I find the hole? #20  
if you have an old pump sprayer add a pint of gasoline to a quart of diesel.. light a piece of paper and put the paper as close as you dare. now spray the diesel mixture on the paper to ignite it and lead the flame toward the entrance. the flame does not need to be exactly on the entrance but you will soon see them as they emerge and then you will know for sure where the entrance is and be able to accurately hit it.

this is also an excellent way to light your brush piles.

the mixture will kill them even if you dont ignite it. just spray down the entrance if you can find it.

soapy water will do the same if you just spray it down the entrance.