Who makes a work truck with creature comforts?

/ Who makes a work truck with creature comforts? #1  

strantor

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS XR4140H
5/6/2021 NOTE: This is an old-ish thread and I resurrected it in post # 163.

I've been back and forth about buying a new truck for a couple of years and I think I might be approaching a point where it could be construed as "financially responsible" for me to finally pull the trigger. What I want is something I can get dirty without guilt or punishment; namely, something with vinyl flooring. But I don't want to give up the leather heated seats that I have in my 10 y/o yukon (whose carpets are thoroughly destroyed I might add), and I dont see why I should have to. And I don't see why I should I should have to suffer an am/fm radio with a 10-digit LCD either, while the one sitting next to it has a 10" tablet embedded in the dash. Why is it when you "down-grade" to mud/grease-ready flooring, you also downgrade to crank windows? Is there some secret passphrase I need to utter within earshot of "the manager" in order to unlock the option of a truck equally suited for work and comfort?

I'm looking for a 3/4 ton truck, preferably a diesel.

Last edited:
   / Who makes a work truck with creature comforts? #2  
I just bought a 2020 F250 Lariat Fleet, crew cab, long bed, diesel. It has most of the creature comforts and none of the exterior frill/trim. It was $61K

I put in Weathertech floor mats. I've had the Weathertech mats in a couple of my trucks and they work really well for a muddy lifestyle.

/ Who makes a work truck with creature comforts? #3  
+1 on mats.

/ Who makes a work truck with creature comforts? #5  
I've been back and forth about buying a new truck for a couple of years and I think I might be approaching a point where it could be construed as "financially responsible" for me to finally pull the trigger. What I want is something I can get dirty without guilt or punishment; namely, something with vinyl flooring. But I don't want to give up the leather heated seats that I have in my 10 y/o yukon (whose carpets are thoroughly destroyed I might add), and I dont see why I should have to. And I don't see why I should I should have to suffer an am/fm radio with a 10-digit LCD either, while the one sitting next to it has a 10" tablet embedded in the dash. Why is it when you "down-grade" to mud/grease-ready flooring, you also downgrade to crank windows? Is there some secret passphrase I need to utter within earshot of "the manager" in order to unlock the option of a truck equally suited for work and comfort?

Yes, it is really quite simple, So simple you will slap your self in the head when I tell you the secret. Just order the truck with the features you actually want then get some Weathertech floor guards and you are all done. Viola!, you have the features you wanted in the truck, AND you have the vinyl floor mats you wanted too!. IT is GENIOUS!. I am SO glad I could help.

/ Who makes a work truck with creature comforts? #6  
I just bought a 2020 F250 Lariat Fleet, crew cab, long bed, diesel. It has most of the creature comforts and none of the exterior frill/trim. It was $61K

I put in Weathertech floor mats. I've had the Weathertech mats in a couple of my trucks and they work really well for a muddy lifestyle.

Well, shoot, I see you beat me to the "genius idea". :(

/ Who makes a work truck with creature comforts? #7  
I just bought a new Ram Power Wagon ( THE Taco Wagon ). It came with Weathertech floor mats. Also every "creature feature" known to God & man and with a price tag to match.

So far it's been a very fine vehicle.

One particularly nice feature. My lower back will frequently ache. Old age, over stressed, over weight - who knows. I step out and enter the Taco Wagon. Half an hour in the seat with the heated lumbar region - all is well and back to normal.

/ Who makes a work truck with creature comforts? #8  

Buy used, pay cash and find the best deal you can find outright, and put weatherguard floormats in the front and back.

What's wrong with crank windows? Fact is you can't find them anymore. Exactly how do you suffer with a 10 digit LCD radio? Leather seats and you don't want to get them dirty? Buy cheap cloth and spend a couple hundred of bucks to throw waterproff seat covers over them.

I'm just one of those guys who don't think a car / truck should cost more than a cheap house, added a truck is truck, and a truck dosen't equal luxurious comfort. I'm in the minority I know...

That said, when we retire, might end up getting a nice overprice truck that's comfortable that can haul a trailer for long rides.

/ Who makes a work truck with creature comforts? #9  
I also have been looking. I don't want diesel. I don't tow that often but yet i still want to be able to tow 14,000 lbs, so i can't justify the additional cost of diesel. The Gas engine with the 10 speed transmission is nice. Dodge and Ford have some impressive towing capacities for 2020. Issue I am running into is fuel tank size. The dodge the max fuel tank size is 30 gal. You can go to cab chassis and get large tank. Ford you can get a 36 gal tank which is better. I need to be able to get 4 hours driving on a tank. They are work trucks one would think they would have larger tanks....... i almost bought a new dodge tradesman until i found out the fuel tank size. On the ford side i can't get past the aluminum body. At $60,000 i don't think i should have to settle.
The dodge cab chassis would work, but by the time you add a body and what not price gets up there. It also ends up being longer than I would like.
So, I will keep patching the old chevy with the 4 speed and the 6.0. It screams when it down shifts, but even if the engine comes apart those 6.0 parts are cheap.