Fire on John Deere mower

/ Fire on John Deere mower #1  

lennyzx11

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301 HST/LA525 & 1964 Ford 2000 gas
My Brother in law was mowing with our mower yesterday and came running to me screaming fire. I saw our purchased in April new John Deere mower engulfed in flames under a big maple tree.
I grabbed the shop fire extinguishers and tractor and pushed it away from the tree out in the clear. Both extinguishers empties, I buried the mower with dirt using the tractor.

Not sure what happened. He said he heard a pop from under the front and flames came up from underneath.

He wasn’t in high grass or leaves also and was moving so I don’t think it was a spark from exhaust on the ground that did it.

He’s safe. A little shook up. He has cystic fibrosis and that mower has been his way of getting outside in the sun a little.

I think it had 40 or so hours. I remember doing the 25 hour service in August.

/ Fire on John Deere mower #2  
Hard to speculate, so you'll need to examine it closely.

Guessing a gas line leak, and maybe a spark from the blades hitting a rock. Oil leak might ignite quickly if the oil was hot. Mouse nest in and around the exhaust would smoke quite a bit first and not create a 'pop' sound.

/ Fire on John Deere mower #3  
So sorry about the loss of the mower, I'm glad your brother in law is OK. Diggin It listed the most probably causes. Is there any chance that your homeowner's insurance will cover your loss?

/ Fire on John Deere mower
I dug it out and took a couple of pictures.
IMG_2149.jpg
IMG_2146.jpg
IMG_1658.jpg

Home Depot told me to contact John Deere.
John Deere had a weekend call center answer it appears. Took my information and I got the “We’ll get back to you”.

Bought it 20Apr20 and had around 30-40 hrs. I had did the 25 hour service but hadn’t got to the 50 yet.

/ Fire on John Deere mower #5  
Fuel line, fuel filter or connection or something dumped gasoline on that thing. That is about the only thing I can think of that would have caused such a catastrophic fire so quickly. Wow, talk about burned to the ground. Man there isn't a plastic or rubber piece left on that thing.

/ Fire on John Deere mower #6  
If it was from home depot.... john deere probably will be of no help (unless things have changed in the past 4 years). I had a john deere string trimmer purchased from home depot, that was dead on arrival, took it to home depot and they said to take it to john deere. John deere told me home depot buys john deere labeled devices manufactured in mexico and they pay jd to use their name. John deere would not honor the warranty. I ended up in a screaming match with home dump and they gave me my money back to get rid of me.

/ Fire on John Deere mower #7  
Your insurance co. would be the one to cover the fire loss.. don't think it would be a John Deere warranty issue..

Hope it was covered under your policy that you hopefully have.

/ Fire on John Deere mower #8  
Contact the Consumer Product Safety Commission. I bet they'll want to hear about your tractor. A major recall may be in order if JD doesn't replace it outright. There's no way a lawn tractor should go up in flames.

Do NOT tamper with it. A CPSC rep will want to inspect it. I called years ago when my Murray fuel tank started leaking and they (Sears) didn't want to do anything about it. CPSC came out and looked it over. It wasn't long after that, the series was recalled and I got a new tank. The leak was caused by a manufacturing fault and was covered by the warranty. (The tank split at a molding seam.)

Give JD a chance to remedy your loss. If they hem-haw around, let them know it's a safety issue and you're prepared to report it to CPSC. CPSC has a lot of attorneys. They like cases like this. CPSC can force a recall of the entire product series.

/ Fire on John Deere mower #9  
All it takes is a few of those leaves around the muffler, then they catch fire, fire melts fuel line, burning gas and a melting plastic hood to feed the flames, I’ve worked for Ford, Kubota, and Deere dealers through my working life, it happens more than you know! My neighbors kid was trying to mulch leaves with their Murray a couple of years ago, the same happened, burnt the mower and much of the woods at the edge of their yard.

The main thing is your Brother-in-law is ok, mower can be replaced

/ Fire on John Deere mower #10  
I dont know, my huskvarna is over 10 years old, has had motor replaced, is used hard and put away wet. I cut tall dry grass with it, but always blow out all areas with compressed air after use. I have never even seen steam coming off of it, much less smoke. The idea that it could burst into flames spooks the heck out of me. I told the wife yesterday to leave it out of the garage from now on until its totally cooled off. Imagine if it ignites in a garage. Yeiks.