Fire on John Deere mower

/ Fire on John Deere mower #11  
There were some older JD models when the fuel pump failed (diaphragm) the "weep" hole sent gas right onto the muffler = fire.

My JD 285 needed a replacement transaxle. The donor was a fire victim.

/ Fire on John Deere mower #12  
Imagine if it ignites in a garage.

That happens more often than people realize. One reason my yard machines have never been inside my attached garage. They either stay outside or in a separate detached shed.

Happens with cars too though.

/ Fire on John Deere mower #13  
Definitely report it to your dealer. Deere wants a report made to them for any fire related issue involving their equipment. Doesn't matter if it was purchased at Home Depot. That same model can be purchased at a Deere dealer also. It may not be a defect in the mower, but they need to be made aware in case it is to help prevent someone else from having same thing happen.

/ Fire on John Deere mower #15  
If your E180 is similar to my D110 then there is an in-line fuel filter, which you would/may have replaced during the 25hr maintenance that you (OP) said that you performed. The connection (either side of the filter) may have come loose due to engine/operation vibration, spilling petrol onto a hot engine.

Typically you (meaning practically everyone :)) simply ensures that there's enough fuel in the tank, the tyres look inflated and, maybe, check the oil dipstick. Turn it on and then get on with the job. Rarely do you open the bonnet and check every 'hose' or connection unless it's a maintenance procedure.

Which is a timely reminder to us all to take a moment and perform an 'inspection'.

/ Fire on John Deere mower #16  
Two points I have to add.

Lady around here once cut the grass around her place, parked it next to her house and went to take a shower. Next thing, the house was in flames!

I have a Steiner 430 Diesel MAX that was given to me, burned to destruction, that was used to try and push a burning brush pile. The FD showed up reasonably quickly, but to see the machine, you would would think it had been in a burned builiding.

/ Fire on John Deere mower #17  
All it takes is a few of those leaves around the muffler, then they catch fire, fire melts fuel line, burning gas and a melting plastic hood to feed the flames, I致e worked for Ford, Kubota, and Deere dealers through my working life, it happens more than you know! My neighbors kid was trying to mulch leaves with their Murray a couple of years ago, the same happened, burnt the mower and much of the woods at the edge of their yard.

The main thing is your Brother-in-law is ok, mower can be replaced

A few years ago I was cutting my front yard on a windy day using my JD GT235. I kept smelling smoke and thought why is someone burning leafs on such a windy day. This went on for quite sometime. At some point realized the front of my mower was smoking. When I stopped and and got off the mower I realized my muffler was on fire. I was able to pull a big glob of burning grass out the muffler guard. No big deal I was able to keep cutting grass. Had there been a fuel line any where near the muffler and there would have been a lot of JD plastic on fire.

Glad no one was hurt.

/ Fire on John Deere mower #18  
There have been some JD combines that have caught fire while working. They are usually a total loss, as by the time it is noticed, it is too late to do anything. If you think a mower is costly, price a combine.

/ Fire on John Deere mower #19  
I dug it out and took a couple of pictures.

Sorry for your loss and I hope JD comes thru for you... but WOWW that sucker burned down to the bare metal! I've never seen a more complete vehicle destruction :shocked:

/ Fire on John Deere mower #20  
Sorry about the loss. :(
This time of year with leaves falling dead grass I spray water on deck engine area and muffler just in case when done....never can be to careful.