New Stihl MS 500i

/ New Stihl MS 500i #21  
You talking about the two brothers?

I watched it and the seal was dry. It should be oiled. All air filter seals should be greased or oiled. Anyone that thinks otherwise needs to educate themselves

C741D439-8917-4998-8C25-BFB4D0255F55.jpeg

096A3FA0-4185-44C7-93D2-963ACF732152.jpeg

/ New Stihl MS 500i #22  
I noticed in his video when he pulled the filter off there was fine wood dust on the filters rubber sealing, this tells me the filter was not really tight and was not truly sealing. So STHIL using the cover locking knob for both locking the covers down and sealing and locking the filter is not a good Engineering Design.

661 has poor filter set up too. Why loggers switch them over to aftermarket set up to try and stop the fines getting in too.

You can tell which stihl saws dont have the air injection type air cleaning systems. They sell kits for the 661 and older ones. 500 should make that list after RD. MAXFLOW CHAINSAW AIR FILTERS for Stihl Chainsaws.

/ New Stihl MS 500i #23  
And those Maxflow filters are oiled so they seal against the air box

/ New Stihl MS 500i #24  
To me the real problem with the little non metal peg holding the filter along with the covers non metal finger nut on the 500i, is if the housing get damaged or even lost all that is holding the filter, is that little peg and it's now not holding the filter tight.

STHIL's 261 has a better cover with three locking fasterners, and a filter that screws on to saws engine this is what STHIL should have done with the 500i.

/ New Stihl MS 500i #25  
Loggers dislikes and likes after 7 months of use out west. He mentions the loose air filter set up and bottoming out av's.

/ New Stihl MS 500i #26  
The 500i has quickly become my favorite saw. Setup with light bars, it’s light and powerful, definitely a pleasure to run. IMG_1918.JPGMy 461 will be seeing a lot of shelf time. I’ll never part with it, it’s tried and true and never let me down.

I have a few goodies for the 461 to install. A larger jet, magnum muffler and unlimited coil, so it’ll get some attention this winter.

/ New Stihl MS 500i #29  
looks the 500i responds well to a muffler mod and a really sharp silvey ? chain.

Stihl 500i STOCK VS MODDED - YouTube

Referring to the video -- Why wouldn't the guy let the saw run and warm up a bit before jumping on that big ol' Oak log?

Seems to me like it would be hard on the engine internals to be so heavily-loaded without being allowed to idle/warm up for at least 30 sec to 1 minute?

- BarnieTrk :confused: :confused3:

/ New Stihl MS 500i #30  
Referring to the video -- Why wouldn't the guy let the saw run and warm up a bit before jumping on that big ol' Oak log?

Seems to me like it would be hard on the engine internals to be so heavily-loaded without being allowed to idle/warm up for at least 30 sec to 1 minute?

- BarnieTrk :confused: :confused3:
I agree and am sure many saws get ruined or damaged the first time they are started.