New Stihl MS 500i

/ New Stihl MS 500i #31  
I haven't tested the ms461 but I'm very happy with the 500i:)I to advise

/ New Stihl MS 500i #32  
To me the real problem with the little non metal peg holding the filter along with the covers non metal finger nut on the 500i, is if the housing get damaged or even lost all that is holding the filter, is that little peg and it's now not holding the filter tight.

STHIL's 261 has a better cover with three locking fasterners, and a filter that screws on to saws engine this is what STHIL should have done with the 500i.
I agree, its a bit flimsy. If I drop the saw on wood its probably toast. For the type of work this saw is meant for it should have more fastening points.

That said, the saw is a monster and runs great…even at 9000ft. I have to lock the throttle to get it to cold start up there, but it doesnt take many pulls.

/ New Stihl MS 500i #34  
Want to stiffen up those 500i. Dealer parts cost half the cost of those online kits being sold.

List to take in.

s500av (2).jpg

/ New Stihl MS 500i #36  
being of late life stage, i'll hang onto my MS460, it just works too well. what attracts me to the 500 is it's lighter weight & slightly more power. but i can't justify 1400 at my location. but looks like a dandy.
260 & 460 are likely to remain my good companions, the 500 will remain just eye candy.