Smaller metal cutting bandsaw thoughts?

/ Smaller metal cutting bandsaw thoughts? #11  
I made a 4.5" vertical bandsaw some years back using a DeWalt handheld saw for the powerhead. I use it constantly when doing metal work. It is perfectly square in all three axes. The saw moves through the material, which is securely clamped to the table. Rather than moving the material through the saw. This provides great accuracy. It is a miniature version of the big vertical saws at the place where I get steel. I also have a Makita dry cut saw and metal cutting circular saw and plasma. But this does things those other tools cannot. The footprint is about 30x34.

Attachments

• hacksaw2a.jpg
    hacksaw2a.jpg
    753.3 KB · Views: 138
  • hacksaw.jpg
    hacksaw.jpg
    746.9 KB · Views: 142
   / Smaller metal cutting bandsaw thoughts? #12  
Nice. No stamped out chinesium tin.

/ Smaller metal cutting bandsaw thoughts? #13  
I have two porta bands, with one of them mounted on a tripod stand, that's fairly easy to move to a job, and also of course, a gas ax...
BUT, What I use the most, is a Delta 4x6 horizontal bandsaw.

It's a china cheapy with Delta name tag on it, but I've had it for many years any it's at least decent quality.

I think one of the better cold cut saws would be the thing to own...

SR

/ Smaller metal cutting bandsaw thoughts? #14  
I have a Buffalo horizontal band saw I bought at Big R nearly 40 year ago. I think it's 4" capacity, but I have cut 5" exhaust tubing with it.
It will do miter cuts too, and I have marks so I can set it right at 45ー and 30ー angles.

I have cut more tube and bar stock than I can imagine with the thing. It's probably the most used tool I have, next to the drill press.
Until a couple of weeks ago all I had ever done to it was change blades. I finally had to change the guide bearings, there are six of them and are easy to change. Probably took 30-45 minutes total. Only the one on the top of the guide nearest to the pivot was bad, but I had new ones, so I changed all of them. It was a universal double shielded ball bearing, don't recall the number, but I got a sleeve of 10 off Amazon for less than $20 bucks.
I've never even changed the belt on it, and have only tightened it a couple of times.

I have looked around and they still make the very same saw, many different brand names on it. Must still be using the same molds in the foundry where they make them.

/ Smaller metal cutting bandsaw thoughts? #15  
It seems like a metal cutting bandsaw could be good thing in my future. My bigger projects tend to be working with 3-4" c channel, up to 1/2 thick flat bar, some tube. When I need a better cut, the dry cut chop saw is the go to, but it lacks precision and versatility on angle cuts plus the ability to do miters. Is a model that is rated for 5-6 inches even worth it for upping my game? I'm not running a metal fab shop but having the right tool for a project is always helpful.

I purchased a horizontal bandsaw about 2 years ago that also can turn into a small vertical bandsaw fairly easy.

I added a 1/4" plate to the bottom of the legs that extended out past about 3", and then bolted on 4 HF swivel/locking 2" wheels to this plate.

I find it very handy to cut multi parts that are alike while sitting in my chair next to it.

There are plenty of other colors of these bandsaws out there, but I was looking for a value/benefit for my cutting.

There are bigger ones also, it all depends what your needs are.

Here's a link to the one I purchased, and I wish I'd done it years ago:

KC

WEN 397 Metal-Cutting Band Saw with Stand, 4" x 6" - - Amazon.com

/ Smaller metal cutting bandsaw thoughts? #16  
Have a gypsy tool sales Carolina type band saw, added a small drill press vise for smaller material. Works, but not great. Use the Milwaukee deep cut lots. Also have plasma, abrasive and of course a few angle grinders. All have their place. The deep cut with a Honda 2000 gets the nod for harvesting useable steel from old farm equipment.

/ Smaller metal cutting bandsaw thoughts? #17  
Don't see them come up on CL or FB often. I picked up this 7x12 Clarke a while back for $300.
band-saw.jpg

/ Smaller metal cutting bandsaw thoughts? #18  
Grizzley got a 7 x 12 on sale for $950. My buddy just bought a 8x16 kalamazoo for $1000 . If you buy used you will have to wade through the dreamers to find a good deal but they are out there . If you don't need it rite away take your time you will find a good deal . $1000 sounds like to much for a 8x 13 Ramco offer him $500 cash in hand I got lots of good deals like that . The worst he can do is say no than move on.:drink:

/ Smaller metal cutting bandsaw thoughts?
Maybe there isn't much between that Ramco and the little 4x6s that come out of the same factory. Anything I see on these make me think that I should move up a grade.