Smaller metal cutting bandsaw thoughts?

/ Smaller metal cutting bandsaw thoughts?
   / Smaller metal cutting bandsaw thoughts?
I made a 4.5" vertical bandsaw some years back using a DeWalt handheld saw for the powerhead. I use it constantly when doing metal work. It is perfectly square in all three axes. The saw moves through the material, which is securely clamped to the table. Rather than moving the material through the saw. This provides great accuracy. It is a miniature version of the big vertical saws at the place where I get steel. I also have a Makita dry cut saw and metal cutting circular saw and plasma. But this does things those other tools cannot. The footprint is about 30x34.

Nice build!

/ Smaller metal cutting bandsaw thoughts? #23  
There are times when our vertical band saw might stick the blade or even break the blade. That's why when the project is right for it I like to use our old power hack saw. It works just like a hand hack saw, but mounts big thick blades and runs off a reciprocating arm.

Plus it's just fun to watch it at work.
rScotty

/ Smaller metal cutting bandsaw thoughts? #24  
There are times when our vertical band saw might stick the blade or even break the blade. That's why when the project is right for it I like to use our old power hack saw. It works just like a hand hack saw, but mounts big thick blades and runs off a reciprocating arm.

rScotty

Those are the best saws ever......

maxresdefault.jpg

Not mine but wish it were.. Only drawback is it is slow compared to "band" saw...

Dale

/ Smaller metal cutting bandsaw thoughts? #26  

rScotty

I had one of those too. In fact the clamp I use on my DIY vertical saw (painted orange) came from that old saw. I still have some of the blades. Good old American steel. I make them into bread and roast beef slicing knives for family members. They stay sharp forever.

/ Smaller metal cutting bandsaw thoughts? #27  
Because by the time I spent and the materials I had to buy it would cost me more than just purchasing one out right....

Dale

HEY, dat fellow did it in under half an hour according to de video. One thing if you got somebody paying you fer yer time, completely different if you just playin on yer own time.

Buy buy buy, sounds like bunch of old wimmen sittin around suckin teabag juice yappin bout wich store got best deal on pillowcases.

Only hard part to come up wid on dat project is de saw arbor. Dat can be made on lathe in a couple hours.
What de point of havin room full of stuf you bought if you don't/can't make something wid it? I know a few men got shops full of equipment dey made wid a welder, torch & grinder. You want it make it!

Dem old saws built de machinery dat made de tools dat followed dem. Only thing wrong wid em is blades is hard to find at good price. You got other things you can do while saw takes care of cutting. Yup de wore out blades is good knife blades too. Long end of a broke blade is also good slag remover if you put leather handle on one end, or even wood flakes. Know more den one journeyman wid a couple in his box.

Got little respect fer amazoom shoppers compared to a man who thinks and uses what he has to solve problem.

/ Smaller metal cutting bandsaw thoughts? #28  
Hey, but it's BLACK FRIDAY!! SPEND, SPEND, SPEND

Too many are too darn spoiled. I have so much "stuff" and often just find it easier to buy something than try and find it in my stuff. And when I do look, I make a big mess (I don't clean up) and find the thing isn't quite right anyway. Of course, when I get rid of stuff, I need it or a friend needs it the very next week.

Watched AVE try and turn a cheap chop saw into a cold cut saw. Without changing the motor, it isn't feasible. Good to know.

/ Smaller metal cutting bandsaw thoughts? #29  
Cheap chop saw wid brushes is series wound AC/DC motor.
CAN be slowed by running on DC at lower voltage.

Maybe can be slowed running on AC at lower voltage.
Not whole lot different from blower motor in car.

Inventory waiting to be used is spelled JUNQUE. Not to be confused wid parts in stock fer job not got to yet.
System works.

/ Smaller metal cutting bandsaw thoughts? #30  
That's EXACTLY what AVE thought and tried. Not enough torque and not enough cooling at low speed. Makes heat in a hurry. Three phase motor with VFD is an answer, but you might as well just spend the $700.00 on a cheap Cold saw.

How about old Honda Knockoff and some pulleys? Run it on propane indoors. lol