Sell Gas and Buy Battery Chainsaw?

/ Sell Gas and Buy Battery Chainsaw? #81  
I took a Sears saw back due to bar leaks... made a mess in my truck... the Echo no problem.

Also no problems with Stihl pole and conventional battery saws leaking bar oil.

/ Sell Gas and Buy Battery Chainsaw? #82  
Battery tools are a good ADDITION. I would NOT sell the gas Chainsaw. It is an essential tool for my acreage. It has to be available to clear storm damage or any wood cutting task in an emergency situation. Electric power may not be available or the task is more than two batteries can handle.

/ Sell Gas and Buy Battery Chainsaw? #83  
Old logger needs advice. I bought my tree farm from an old logger, been in the family for 100 years etc etc.

He and I have become friends and with him fighting cancer, i find i'm more involved than i planned and thankful for the opportunity.

He's the kinda guy who, when he saw my new echo chain saw kinda spat on the ground, gave me the stink eye and said, in 50 years i've never seen anything but stihl on a pro logging deck. Whoops.

He has to drive over so i can start his stihl chainsaw. I've tuned it up etc etc and it starts fine. He just does not have the strength to pull it hard enough. I think after a few pulls he floods it?

I suggested an electric chain saw. After he put away his 45 he stopped and thought, maybe that's the answer. I think his gun weighs more than he does.

I've totally written off batt powered tools for2 reasons. Seems i'm always looking for a hot batt and 2.....they pound you just as hard as they can for replacement batts. I will NEVER buy any new dewalt tool only because of that.

My old buddy mostly cuts up big branches that fall or medium sized logs that i take to him.

There are a bunch out there, any suggestions for a 75 year old with limited strength? thx

/ Sell Gas and Buy Battery Chainsaw? #84  
Old logger needs advice. I bought my tree farm from an old logger, been in the family for 100 years etc etc.

He and I have become friends and with him fighting cancer, i find i'm more involved than i planned and thankful for the opportunity.

He's the kinda guy who, when he saw my new echo chain saw kinda spat on the ground, gave me the stink eye and said, in 50 years i've never seen anything but stihl on a pro logging deck. Whoops.

He has to drive over so i can start his stihl chainsaw. I've tuned it up etc etc and it starts fine. He just does not have the strength to pull it hard enough. I think after a few pulls he floods it?

I suggested an electric chain saw. After he put away his 45 he stopped and thought, maybe that's the answer. I think his gun weighs more than he does.

I've totally written off batt powered tools for2 reasons. Seems i'm always looking for a hot batt and 2.....they pound you just as hard as they can for replacement batts. I will NEVER buy any new dewalt tool only because of that.

My old buddy mostly cuts up big branches that fall or medium sized logs that i take to him.

There are a bunch out there, any suggestions for a 75 year old with limited strength? thx

Stihl makes a pretty good battery saw according to a couple comparisons I’ve seen. It’s a brand he already likes and trusts.

/ Sell Gas and Buy Battery Chainsaw? #85  
I see the older style Dewalt 20V chainsaw on sale everywhere, and lots of complaints on bar oil leaks.
Anyone have this and can comment?
Seems the newer model for this year and the larger models don't have this problem.

Yes it leaks. Makes an otherwise nice battery chain saw a mess. I keep mine empty of oil and in a plastic tray.

/ Sell Gas and Buy Battery Chainsaw? #86  
Yes it leaks. Makes an otherwise nice battery chain saw a mess. I keep mine empty of oil and in a plastic tray.

My Stihl pole saw oil reservoir does not leak a drop of oil. But the gas chainsaws do. I also have a Stihl corded electric saw and it does not leak oil.

Odd.

/ Sell Gas and Buy Battery Chainsaw? #87  
My Stihl pole saw oil reservoir does not leak a drop of oil. But the gas chainsaws do. I also have a Stihl corded electric saw and it does not leak oil.

Odd.

I went all-in on Dewalt 60v max, so Im not getting rid of it, but it annoys me and I cant believe its not recalled.

/ Sell Gas and Buy Battery Chainsaw? #88  
   / Sell Gas and Buy Battery Chainsaw? #89  
   / Sell Gas and Buy Battery Chainsaw? #90  
How is the weight of the battery saw compared to its gas counterpart? When I looked into it, the battery top handle actually weighed 3lbs more than my stihl arborist gas saw I have now. One reason I really liked the arborist saw was because itç—´ light weight, easy to one hand limb branches, gave me more reach from one spot, handy for use on a ladder.
With my HF Lynxx 14" 2 batteries will outlast me, but it's too heavy for easy use in the canopy. My DeWalt 20V is excellent for me one handed in the tree, but then it costs $100 w/o battery.

The neighbor has one of the new battery chain saw. It's a gaudy lime green. Anyhow - he was disposing of a Pine Bark beetle tree the other day. Pine was around 20" on the butt. He got the tree felled and made seven "cut to length" cuts - needed a new battery. So.... battery on charger > get out the gas Stihl.
What would happen if he ran out of gas? Stop for the day? He should have had a second battery.

I see the older style Dewalt 20V chainsaw on sale everywhere, and lots of complaints on bar oil leaks.
Anyone have this and can comment?
Seems the newer model for this year and the larger models don't have this problem.
My 20V DeWalt leaks, so I put a piece of cardboard under it during transport.