Snow Equipment Buying/Pricing Snowblowers: FEL Mount vs Rear Pull

/ Snowblowers: FEL Mount vs Rear Pull #1  

John in the UP

Bronze Member
Tractor
2021 John Deere 4066R Snow Cab
Looking to upgrade my tractor (a JD 3720 cab w/ 59" snowblower) to a JD 4052 cab. The Deere/Frontier FEL mount is pricey in the $14k to $15k range. The tractor is going to be a tuff-enough sell to the CFO, but the SB2176 blower will likely make upgrade a deal breaker with the CFO...

Is anyone here using a rear pull like the Erskine 725RP? (link here: 3-Point PTO Rear Pull Snowblower | Snow Equipment | Snowblowers | Tractor Attachments | Erskine Attachments LLC). Any idea of price range for this unit ?

-OR-

Is anyone here using an FEL mount like the Erskine 73"? (link here: 2;) Snowblower w/Hydraulic Power Unit | Snow Equipment | Snowblowers | Tractor Attachments | Erskine Attachments LLC). Any idea of price range for this unit vs the $14-15k for the Frontier?

Thanks for any comments...

/ Snowblowers: FEL Mount vs Rear Pull #2  
The JD is probably not a fel mount, rather a front mount where you remove the loader to install a sub frame. I built a loader mount blower assembly. Pto powered from the rear, it has lift limitations due to the shaft. Otherwise works great, no more sore neck. The hydraulic powered fel mount would be more flexible for sure. Pull type would depend greatly on drifted snow amounts. Around here the drifts are sometimes hard enough to stop the tractor.

/ Snowblowers: FEL Mount vs Rear Pull #3  
i have a "Quickattach" brand front snow blower with rear hydraulic powerpack. i think mine was in the $9,000 range when i purchased it 9 years ago. not sure what it cost now days. mine runs 79" wide, and runs at 15 GPM, 3,000 PSI.

for me personally, i could not use a rear push or pull. the main reason i have a front is due to having to move large amounts of snow that sheds off of my buildings. when the horse barn sheds, i have 5-6' tall piles of snow to move. cant possibly drive over it. my old tractor had a rear push blower, and it took up to 8 hours to clear this mess. with the new hydraulic blower its under an hour. I really think it all depends on the type of snow you encounter. also with me, my neck issues were getting real bad. the constant looking backwards was wrecking my neck. i was getting my neck actually locking up where i had difficulties turning my head.

snow shedding e side BEFORE 2008.jpg snow shedding E side barn DURING 2008.jpg snow shedding e side AFTER 2008.jpg snow shed off w side barn 2008.jpg Corral Mtn Range B 2008.jpg

/ Snowblowers: FEL Mount vs Rear Pull #4  
The JD is probably not a fel mount, rather a front mount where you remove the loader to install a sub frame. I built a loader mount blower assembly. Pto powered from the rear, it has lift limitations due to the shaft. Otherwise works great, no more sore neck. The hydraulic powered fel mount would be more flexible for sure. Pull type would depend greatly on drifted snow amounts. Around here the drifts are sometimes hard enough to stop the tractor.
no, frontier brand actually mounts to loader and has rear powerpack unit.

/ Snowblowers: FEL Mount vs Rear Pull #6  
Looking to upgrade my tractor (a JD 3720 cab w/ 59" snowblower) to a JD 4052 cab. The Deere/Frontier FEL mount is pricey in the $14k to $15k range. The tractor is going to be a tuff-enough sell to the CFO, but the SB2176 blower will likely make upgrade a deal breaker with the CFO...

Is anyone here using a rear pull like the Erskine 725RP? (link here: 3-Point PTO Rear Pull Snowblower | Snow Equipment | Snowblowers | Tractor Attachments | Erskine Attachments LLC). Any idea of price range for this unit ?

-OR-

Is anyone here using an FEL mount like the Erskine 73"? (link here: 22 Snowblower w/Hydraulic Power Unit | Snow Equipment | Snowblowers | Tractor Attachments | Erskine Attachments LLC). Any idea of price range for this unit vs the $14-15k for the Frontier?

Thanks for any comments...

B4 you open your wallet:

You should contact a Pronovost farm equipment dealer and obtain a
quote for a front three point hitch mounting system that will mount on your
current mule and let you use a rear mount snow blower on the front and
avoid having to deal with a front mount frame and all the crap that goes
with it. AND you will not need to invest in a hydraulic power pack either.

Before you say I do not want a rear mount push snow blower; have you checked to
see if they offer a swivel seat for either tractor??

/ Snowblowers: FEL Mount vs Rear Pull #7  
While my CUT is conventional rear blower I have operated some front mounts* on occasion.

Front mount suffers from turning radius problems as so much hangs out there plus close in visibility is not good due to angles.
Therefore you really don't want to work up close to obstacles like cars decorations etc.
also with all that front weight overhang you'd want rear weights as traction suffers.
Road travel is like riding a bronco with all that weight up front.

You might try a simple back up camera installation if your complaint is a sore neck.**

*TN60 c/w 72" blower.

** my CUT is camera equipped

/ Snowblowers: FEL Mount vs Rear Pull #8  
It depends where in the UP you are. If most snowfalls are less than 24" and not many drifts 3' plus, then a rear pull might be a great alternative. I love mine. I blow snow going forward and still have my loader for use. Here is my MK Martin meteor in action.
Here is an example of costs
25-6 HP Snow Blowers – Beaver Valley Supply 78" $4,800

(I got a great buy from Iowa Farm Equipment even with shipping)
Iowa Farm Equipment -- Contact Us

Here are some manufacturers of rear pull snowblowers

• M K Martin (Meteor)
  • Erskine
  • Farm King
  • Bush Hog
  • Normand
  • LuckNow
  • Pronovost
  • Smyth Welding
  • Reist Industries
  • QuickAttach

/ Snowblowers: FEL Mount vs Rear Pull
Thanks airbiscuit.

I like the idea of not having to remove the loader like I do now. Installing/removing the loader really is a piece of cake - it only takes a few minutes either way, buy I sure cuss when installing the snowblower frame. Not too far from Iron River, typical snowfall is 5 to 8 in., worst I've experienced was about 12in. Deep drifts are not common but of course can happen.

Thanks for the video too, how much snow were you moving there - looks to be about 6 in.?

Thanks again.

/ Snowblowers: FEL Mount vs Rear Pull
Thanks Piloon. Am aware of the front mount issues, I run about 1000 lbs of ballast on back of the tractor now, so even if I run down the road ride isn't too bad.
We're in the country, long drive with big turn-around area in front of barn & garage, way too much territory for my neck!