Hauling tractor on U-haul car carrier trailer

/ Hauling tractor on U-haul car carrier trailer #11  
I agree with most all of you. I don’t think I’d ever attempt this not knowing what the trailers condition/history was for a tractor of any substantial size. It is interesting to note however, uhaul website must have some allowance or liability coverage for tractors because it’s an option on their pull down list to select “what’s being towed”. 61B5E186-508D-4906-95C4-6D975B8D8116.jpeg

/ Hauling tractor on U-haul car carrier trailer #12  
Why not just get your trailer working before you get the tractor? Given the HP variance it doesn't sound like there's a deal right now that you have to jump on you're just shopping.

/ Hauling tractor on U-haul car carrier trailer #13  
How many lawyers do you know with "clean hands"? :rolleyes:
MOOT point,I agree with big tillers comment.Set in front of a kangaroo court then let us know what you think.

/ Hauling tractor on U-haul car carrier trailer #14  
   / Hauling tractor on U-haul car carrier trailer #17  
I bought my tractor 6 hours away in PA and towed it home to CT on a U-Haul car carrier trailer. We loaded it backwards to keep the majority of the weight on the hitch. Were towing with a F350. Everything went perfectly. I backed the tractor off the trailer and the trailer popped off the truck hitch. We looked, and there was no nut on the ball. We have no idea how long we had been driving without the nut. I had tightened it before we left with an 18" trailer wrench. As best we can tell the surge brakes on the trailer caused the nut on the ball to loosen and fall off. So if you do rent a U-Haul trailer, stop and check the ball to make sure it stays tight!

/ Hauling tractor on U-haul car carrier trailer #18  
I bought my tractor 6 hours away in PA and towed it home to CT on a U-Haul car carrier trailer. We loaded it backwards to keep the majority of the weight on the hitch. Were towing with a F350. Everything went perfectly. I backed the tractor off the trailer and the trailer popped off the truck hitch. We looked, and there was no nut on the ball. We have no idea how long we had been driving without the nut. I had tightened it before we left with an 18" trailer wrench. As best we can tell the surge brakes on the trailer caused the nut on the ball to loosen and fall off. So if you do rent a U-Haul trailer, stop and check the ball to make sure it stays tight!

I drove my Suburban to PA, with the intention of buying a tractor listed on CL if it checked out OK.
I own a 20' equipment trailer, but did not want to pull it for 9 hours one way, just to find out I did not like the tractor, and then need to haul trailer back empty.
Called U-Haul in PA the day before, and reserved a car trailer, in the event that I did buy the tractor.
They asked what I was going to haul, and I told them a Mustang.

Got to the area, and stayed overnight with an old Navy pilot roommate.
Looked at the tractor next AM, and bought it.
Went to the U-Haul place to pick up the trailer.
Measured car trailer channel width.
Ford 1920 would not fit in car trailer channels.

Hired a rollback guy to bring me the tractor...... 450 miles away.
Cost...$1150.
IT WAS A TERRIBLE PLAN!
Do NOT plan on using a car trailer to haul a tractor!

/ Hauling tractor on U-haul car carrier trailer #19  
I rented a Sunbelt trailer once, tilt deck, was only like $130... was a nice trailer... but I think it has to come back to the same place, we drug it the 5 hours there empty...

/ Hauling tractor on U-haul car carrier trailer #20  
I rented a Sunbelt trailer once, tilt deck, was only like $130... was a nice trailer... but I think it has to come back to the same place, we drug it the 5 hours there empty...

In my situation, the U-Haul car trailer could have been dropped at destination, and the total cost would have been very reasonable.
The problem: Tractor would not fit on a car trailer!